• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Former Mariners in the NPL

Luke

I will have to head down for a game then! Deciding between Northcote and Stella's Avondale for next week.

Duncan was quality for our youth side. I wish we kept him for academy.

Tuxford was the CCM academy 1st grade keeper last season. He is farking quality and I was spewing we let him go to the scum.

JoyfulPenguin

Former NYL Mariner Marcus Duncan played a full match as Northcote City drew 1-1 with our FFA Cup opponents Green Gully. Highlights of that game start at 2:34.

Francesco Stella played as his Avondale side went down 1-2 at home to league leaders Heidelberg United. Highlights of that game can be found at 3:49.

As previously reported Dan Heffernan scored for the Goulburn Valley Suns and played decently although not spectacularly (I attended this match). The Suns would then go on to defeat Sunshine George Cross 3-0. Highlights of that match begin at 7:51.

Rowdy

Not so much playing, as more so Coaching ..... for Nick Rizzo, Pedj Bojic & Glen Trifirio.

Australia's best youth to vie for 'Nick Rizzo Cup':
rizzo.jpg

The best young academy footballers across Australia, trained by former A-League stars Nick Rizzo, Zenon Caravela, Cassio, and Pedj Bojic will compete in a tournament at Lambert Park, Sydney over the next two days.

The tournament is the brain child of former ex-Liverpool winger Rizzo and the Academy Cup which carries his name will feature youngsters aged 8 to 12.

The sons of former Socceroos Paul Okon, Ante Milicic and David Zdrillic will feature along with youngsters from Cassio’s Academy in South Australia and kids from the Zenon Carevalla Academy who have made the trek from Cairns.

Glen and Jason Trifiro's FutbolTec academy players represent Western Sydney while former Central Coast and Sydney FC full back Ped Bojic and Rizzo’s juniors hail from the East of Sydney.

“It’s a great little competition to come down to,” said Caravella.

“We did something very similar with the players a few months back and we had similar teams involved and it was fantastic experience for these young kids and they’re are all very excited as you can imagine.

“You are giving these kids a chance to test themselves against arguably the best players in the state and some of these players will hopefully become players that can crack it in into an A-League first team.

“You are talking about the best players in Sydney for their age and the state, so for us it’s great to be able to have this kind of exposure and give these kids the opportunity to test themselves against each other. We’ve got some fantastic players in North Queensland some brilliant little young players and it’s about testing themselves against the players from all around Australia.”

Through his contacts in England Rizzo has also organised a scout from Everton to come and see the kids in action.

“That’s another massive thing,” said Caravella

“For them to come out and see what talent there is in Australia especially at this young age it puts these kids on the map. They are still young but they are getting earmarked all the time and I’m sure people will come out and follow some these kids progress throughout the years.”

Meanwhile former Central Coast Mariners player Glen Trifiro - who has run his academy for eight years - revealed that one of the Matildas rising stars, as well as a number of up and coming A-League players spent time developing their skills at FutbolTec from a young age.

“Ellie Carpenter has just become the youngest Olympian, she came to us four or five years ago,” he said.

“We worked on her, she had a really great mindset. We worked really closely with her to build the side of the game that she wasn’t great at. She was really great physically but she really needed to work on things with her feet and herself with the ball and her confidence on the ball ,so she is an amazing success story for us.

Trifiro added: “Then you've got Joeys Captain at the World Cup Joey Calleti who is at Brisbane Roar, also Devante Clut and Radovan Pavicevic from Newcastle Jets.

"So there have been a fair few that have come through, we have managed to create an environment for these kids to push on and breakthrough.”

dibo

I love these academies.

How good is your football?

So-so.

How good is your wallet?

1.jpg

You're in!

Rowdy

I thought about posting "cue Dibo :mad:"

But refrained, to not be ass-umptive :p
(I know ..... its pre ;))

dibo

I shouldn't diss it.

There's a scout coming out for a boozy holiday with his mates, paid for by the kids fees and he'll make sure when he lets them down to tell them to keep forking over the dollars to the academies because they might make it next time to do some talent spotting.

If they're really lucky they might get invited over to the UK for a football holiday organised by a travel agent mate of theirs with all the details, lurks and kickbacks sorted out nicely where they'll stay in 2 star hotels, look around a few grounds and get sent back home several grand lighter a trial.

Rowdy

and get sent back home several grand lighter a trial.

Complete with a certificate that you-
"Trialled at Liverpool FC",
for you to hang on your bedroom wall,
to show all your mates,
for the reeeest of your life,
..... that you nearly made it at a 'big club'.

dibo

The thing that pisses me right off is that the kids who go over are almost certainly properly good players. There's a place for them in the NPL here and a pathway to the top - play in the NPL, get picked up by a HAL academy and get on the road.

But overwhelmingly the kids who get sucked into doing these academy things don't wind up on the road to greatness. There's a shitload of 'properly good players' out there and very few truly outstanding players who are going to make it in a big league.

The academies selling dreams are really just selling disappointment. It's like a really f**king expensive lottery ticket, your chances of winning are about the same.

Rowdy

Add in the registration & travel cost of your kid playing in an NPL1/2/3 club on top of this Academy Stuff, State Titles every year, School Representative Program & I can tell you from 1st hand experience,
..... it IS a really f**king expensive lottery ticket !!

Rowdy

Brexit, will surely put a stymie on the
Exit-odus of these Aussie kids going over.

dibo

Add in the registration & travel cost of your kid playing in an NPL1/2/3 club on top of this Academy Stuff, State Titles every year, School Representative Program & I can tell you from 1st hand experience,
..... it IS a really f**king expensive lottery ticket !!
For Rowdy (and a few others), I know this will be no news, but to some who've had no exposure this is an area that's worth a bit of de-mystifying.

NPL does cost a lot to run, and it costs families a lot of time and hours to participate. But that's high-level sport for you.

The main thing that bugs me about NPL is that it's a screwy business model.

Kids' fees are largely directed to covering the cost of provision, which is high:
  • three training sessions and a game each week on high standard grounds
  • accredited coaches, who FNSW recommends ought to be paid $5k (which works out at $313/kid in a squad of 16)
  • a whole bunch of gear (which will cost ~$200-$300)
But given that SAP can do this for around $1500 a year, the extra $900 becomes a little harder to account for. Typically each squad of 16 delivers $14.4k of gravy to ensure that the 20s pay nothing and the first team gets beer money. But at the bigger clubs, the beer money can be... significant.

One club I know in NPL2 last year paid $130k to their squad. Others spend up big on coaches as well.

Some of this is from sponsorship, some from the kids' fees, and very little comes off the gate. That's where I've got the real bug in my arse about it - if these guys were playing in a comp that people wanted to pay money to go and see, I could understand them having their hands out for a cut.

But it's not making money. Instead it's a big bloody pyramid scheme where you pay all your cash in and hope you get some back when you hit the top.

Unfortunately it's the only pathway there is, and frankly I think kids in NPL get *less* screwed than kids in academies by a hop, skip and a jump.

Until or unless the money tree gets tipped upside down it's pretty much stuck the way it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred