• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Football Player Numbers

midfielder

The link [from 9 Melbourne] below shows how the AFL is worried about Football. More over it shows how many young players we have.

Eye opening is Basketball as well.. Should be noted away from the glare of Sydney and Melbourne, Basketball in Northern Queensland, Perth and Adelaide is going very well..

If Basketball starts to bring some of the US big Basketball sides as Football does today... heavens the AFL may start to find its lack of international presence a problem a few years down the track..

Copied this bit off a MV forum post as it makes sense regarding the link below..

Alternate sports are concerned about the growth of the game.Never mind the 45 year old who have lived and breathed the Rigby League or AFL culture - a big percentage of them are set in their beliefs, what they like is what they like. That is cool, they wont change and that is OK.
The issue big business has (Cricket, Rugby League and AFL) is that they understand that whilst the 45+ age group is the big money spender, the game needs to be supported by the 'sausage machine' of youth.
Our game IS WINNING the battle for youth support
Whilst they wont say that, everything they do highlights the fact that they are aware of the pull our game has on the youth.
Check out what the AFL is doing about the match day experience.
Work out the amount of effort Cricket is spending at the 'Milo' game.
Locally speaking, a very successful club (Camberwell Sharks) is suddenly asking questions regarding their junior. Suddenly they are asking why kids from the local Primary schools are playing SHOCKER!
Our game is winning at the youth level - that is the future.

To the link..

dibo

Basketball has been reasonably popular (in participation terms) since the glory days of the Michael Jordan in the NBA and the heights of the NBL's popularity in the early 90s. It's been reasonably stable too, and like football it's key asset is cross-gender popularity. It's very big as a social sport - lots of people play in mixed comps and they play in social comps in the same way people play futsal, touch or oztag.

What hasn't really worked for them is keeping the strength in participation going into driving strong support for the NBL.

Football's got a marketing advantage of having *far* more content available - SBS has A-League and Champions League and on pay TV, beyond the A-League there's the English Premiership and La Liga on Fox, plus Champions League, Europa League and even MLS on ESPN.

Football is also accessible to all body shapes and sizes (assuming you're reasonably fit) and in its 'true' 11v11 form is still very accessible. There are comps for the old donkeys and old boilers to get around even when their kids have flown the coop, so participation stretches over decades rather than years with the higher contact sports.

Our product is incredibly accessible, and that's a major part of the reason why so many people play. Converting that huge natural advantage into greater support of the professional game is FFA's (and everyone else in football, for that matter) big challenge.

midfielder

D

I agree we have a huge advantage over Basketball ... my point was if Basketball brings out big US teams in the way Football is bringing out big European teams the lack of AFL's international presence would be highlighted even more that it is now ... and as the poster from the MV forum says Football is winning the battle of the young... I dare say and this is gut feel more than actual knowledge ... Basketball fans would be more inclined to watch Football more than AFL ...

dibo

D

I agree we have a huge advantage over Basketball ... my point was if Basketball brings out big US teams in the way Football is bringing out big European teams the lack of AFL's international presence would be highlighted even more that it is now ... and as the poster from the MV forum says Football is winning the battle of the young... I dare say and this is gut feel more than actual knowledge ... Basketball fans would be more inclined to watch Football more than AFL ...
I don't buy it. There aren't big venues for basketball. The biggest venue in the country is the Superdome. It's about 20k capacity - it's not big enough to be a really big event in the way big football games are (even Sydney or Melbourne derbies). It's a quarter the size of one of the bigger Melbourne derbies in the AFL - when Collingwood plays Carlton, Richmond or Essendon they get monster crowds.

I think someone in the MV forum is guilty of some wishful thinking.

Big Al

I am a basketballer.
The U.S. teams are worth 50-60million min. Each. Most stadia is 10k. They simply can't risk there investment for the return we offer. Plenty of people have looked at bringing teams over here and the result is always the same. Not enough reward.
Most Aussie basketball kids already support an NBA team and therefore they can't add to the fan base.

Basketball is huge an a lot love to play but it will always be like netball. Popular but never corporate enough in Australia.

When growing up you learn to walk, you learn to talk and you enroll in under 6 soccer. It was the bible for parents. I think if you had a break up pre under 12 and post under 12 you would get very different results.
A lot of kids I knew dropped out of soccer at start of high school. That's when rougher sports become more popular.
Also no matter what I played you always followed a rugby league team and it was always played at lunch time. So mum might not enroll you in a team doesn't mean it's not played somewhere or followed.

The a league is going well but as long as 60,000 melbournians keep going to the MCG every week rain hail or shine to watch whoever it will be no1.

dibo

Their stadiums hold 20,000. Average attendance is over 17k across 30 teams and 41 games each, so on average each team sells 700 thousand tickets a year.

Our NBL clubs play in stadiums that hold 5-10k and while Perth routinely draws over 10k, most crowds are 5k or under. It's just not big enough. The same was true of the NSL, for what it's worth, but the main problem (for football) is that the dollars going to the NBL aren't going to football. In particular, if you were able to take the dollars and people going to Wildcats and divert them to football, you could get a very decent sized crowd for a second WA club.

dibo

Morgan findings are a bit ropey. It's survey data. I'd be more interested in comparing actual registration data, but of course the other codes' rego information isn't as robust as football's!

More important for us (as a game) is whether we're ahead of other sports in the chase for clicks and eyeballs, especially for the local league.

After all, 20 years ago basketball was huge in participation and the NBA was a big deal, but the local league has been massively restructured twice since then. It's folly to think that the same couldn't happen to football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami