• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Football Development - Which way to go?

Special 1

??? :goodpost: :thumbup:

This topic is being introduced to get a handle of what people would consider the future of football development both in Australia and especially on the coast. I will anticipate alot of debate on this topic both from experienced coaches to parents of players because there are so many different views on coaching. From my 40 years experience (28 on the coast) in football I personally have seen the engine rooms of all areas that are related to football , good and bad. At present there are quite a few options for young players to take up for their development, however the question remains as to what is the right one and why.
I will get the ball rolling with the first question and see where it takes us.
Why should junior players in the Golden years (7 - 12) do more skill related training (technique) as opposed to game related training (self learning)

Special 1

:headbounce: :vhappy: :p
Hey thats a humuorous start guess you don't know the answer either. Actually I have bucket loads of ideas and facts just wanted to see if anyone will go out on a limb and voice their views first so I can respond. Gauging from the response (or lack of them) most people on forums wait to get involved in trivial, trash talking baloney about nothing important, instead of a relevant, sensible, more to the point logical topic, which is the essence of football. I'm sure we will warm up and get things moving so like usual I will get everyone's minds ticking.
The following is information provided by the Global training system which is the training methologies used by FNSW, Central Coast Mariners Elite Academies and myself. It is targeted at grassreoots age groups 6-9 and there are a lot of variances that can be used to create more intensity for players with greater ability for eg . Elite training groups. I consider it vital that coaches are themselves technically proficient in being able to deliver the required skills for players to learn, otherwise they should be resigned to the fact that they can not move a players development forward. I guess there are two options for these coaches, learn from coaches who have that ability and start practicing yourself or stick to basic grassroots coaching where it is more appropriate to you.

Training Factors
The duration of the session is to be 45 - 75 minutes in length with short drink breaks every 10 minutes. The session is to be highly dynamic and motivating for all players. Quick changes of activities and clear simple coaching points must be adhered to. Cue words, self talk and step by step approach to the breakdown of skills are important. Repetition of exercise and drills from week to week with new skills added once players have demonstrated competency.
Session Outcomes
1. Fun games that increase coordination and spatial awareness
2. Fun games that improves social interaction
3. Gross motor activities that develop sound movement patterns
4. Ball Control Exercises that improve both feet and comfort on the ball
5. Introduction of passing skills
6. Introduction of receiving skills

Technical Topics
Passing (instep / push pass: 5-10 m)
Receiving (Sole / inside)
1 v 1 Games 4 goals

For players in this age group the focus should be on FUN and coaches should concentrate on creating a positive learning environment.

The diamond formation is a basic representation of where players can position themselves in order to maximize space (make space bigger) and provide angles of support.

Coaches must consider;
1.          That any system, tactic or team is only as good as the individuals that form it.
2. That individual technical development is the foundation for future team success.
3. That players learn skills through correct instruction by coaches who understand the principles of learning to guarantee players improve in each session each year until mastery of the sport is achieved.
4. That players enjoy playing the game. If they enjoy what they do, they will play more often and with greater purpose. This leads to improvement and therefore a greater enjoyment of the game and so the cycle continues.
5. There is no real position in 4 v 4. Coaches should encourage angles of support (right / left / in front) and mobility (pass and move)
6. Creativity and flair starts at a very young age. It can be either developed or equally destroyed. Ensure that you develop a team culture that encourages creativity and is supported by parents and supporters to the team.

Create a positive LEARNING environment
Focus on FUN
Provide basic STRUCTURE
Don't worry about WINNING

pjennings

I'm not a coach - but just an observation on small-sided games.

The theory behind them I believe is to encourage players to get more touchs and to negate differing rates of growth in physical age. i.e. the big quick guy is bought back to the field.

In practice - the games I see prove the other way. The big quick guy dominates more.

Growing up and playing football at lunch in a reasonably large school we would have around 40 a side playing. You valued the ball when you got it. There was little room to pick out passes and dribbling the ball was your best option. You see stories about street football in Africa or South America and it seems to be a similar story.

Are we going the wrong way? 

From the dug out

Special 1 said:
??? :goodpost: :thumbup:

This topic is being introduced to get a handle of what people would consider the future of football development both in Australia and especially on the coast. I will anticipate alot of debate on this topic both from experienced coaches to parents of players because there are so many different views on coaching. From my 40 years experience (28 on the coast) in football I personally have seen the engine rooms of all areas that are related to football , good and bad. At present there are quite a few options for young players to take up for their development, however the question remains as to what is the right one and why.
I will get the ball rolling with the first question and see where it takes us.
Why should junior players in the Golden years (7 - 12) do more skill related training (technique) as opposed to game related training (self learning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX-G8FKZvUM

At this age you don't want to loose them with what they can and cannot do (regarding game related tactics) just let them have fun :).

What this kid has got is incredible balance and agility. Something that comes natural the more times you touch the ball.

Hope you enjoy watching, as I still do.

Wow...only 6!

woodchuck

pjennings said:
I'm not a coach - but just an observation on small-sided games.

The theory behind them I believe is to encourage players to get more touchs and to negate differing rates of growth in physical age. i.e. the big quick guy is bought back to the field.

In practice - the games I see prove the other way. The big quick guy dominates more.

Growing up and playing football at lunch in a reasonably large school we would have around 40 a side playing. You valued the ball when you got it. There was little room to pick out passes and dribbling the ball was your best option. You see stories about street football in Africa or South America and it seems to be a similar story.

Are we going the wrong way? 
SSF - as is now known.  The philosophy behind SSF to me is keeping kids on age appropriate size fields, 10 yr old kids playing on a full size pitch is just ridiculous and anyone who doesnt agree to this, then the experts of the world must be wrong. 
Starting SSF from a young age is only getting kids ready to eventually make the transition into 11 v 11 - when they are ready ! Sure it has teething problems, like anything new. Just quickly on the kid who dominates games, the onus is on the club to push the kid up an age group or two, this way competing against similar ability.

Besides any of these points and opinions - the most important factor facing our kids is coaching, I believe the football community is awakening at a rapid rate to this, most clubs who are interested in developing kids to the best of their ability have quite strict guidelines on who can coach, and if they don't, search around for a club who does, coaches need to take their wins from developing each individual player to become a better player and to continue to play each year.  For extra coaching programs I also think that these days most coaches are qualified and most have the best intentions for the kids, also kids with the real desire and ability will reach their goals any way. 

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred