• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

First past the post??

Jolly_Roger

This might go down as a bit of a controversial post, but I thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

Do you guys think that a first past the post arrangement for over 35s, 45s and the all age divisions would be a better arrangement than playing a final series? I raise this point because it would appear that the opportunity to play catch up games is forfeited to accommodate the finals at the end of the season. Hence, most have to endure a shortened season to accommodate the finals at the end of the year which the majority wont be involved in.  (no this isnt sour grapes, I have played in 13 final series at pluim).

Most of these divisions, particularly the over 35s, consist of players who have probably had there share of finals experience and probably would be happy to call it quits at the conclusion of the last round. I believe that finals for following divisions should be retained though;

1) Grade teams (women and men)
2) Junior teams (girls and boys)
3) All age 1
4)  Perhaps over 35/As.

I think the advantages of this are;
1) Probably provides an opportunity for the teams playing in all age, and over 35s, to play a full season by playing catch up games that seem to be written off to make way for finals. Therefore an additional 3 weeks would exist to finish the comp.
2) Frees up pluim park, which is the home for central coast football , so that all other teams may have to opportunity to play there for their finals series.
I understand the CCF probably makes a bit of cash through canteen sales during this period which might be a disadvantage.

Some might disagree with this, but I thought I would through it out there for comment

Atomic

Speaking on behalf of my 35D team, we definitely, definitely, definitely want to be involved in a finals series. We are having a good season this year and after another win today, we are excitedly talking about qualifying for the finals and even winning the GF. 35's is a legitimate competition and to say that enough of us have have been involved in our fair share of finals over the years and would be happy to call it quits at the end of the final round is IMO a massive assumption and a tad patronising.

We pay the same fees as everyone else, have refs, attend mid week training sessions in the cold winter evenings like everyone else, so pay us our dues and dont assume we'd be "happy" to forego the finals.

It aint no mickey mouse comp... I have the bruises, pulled muscles and post-match drinking problems to prove it.

Jolly_Roger

As a 35/B's player, i am certainly aware that 35's is no mickey mouse comp.

I am merely questioning the value of the finals for these age groups v's the opportunity to play a complete season with all games played. It would appear that the decision by CCF not to play make ups is to fit the finals in. Therefore a majority are short changed in terms of game time to accommodate finals.

I too pay the same rego fees as other senior players around the coast and would like a full quota of games for my coin.

Kareem

I'm a ressies player...and i want to quit after the final round  :thumbup: (and no i am not bias just coz my team is 7th :p)
I sincerely hate the final series!
I have played 2 seasons (13s + 14s) where we came 1st- and lost the GF (gutwrenching much...?)
Then u16s I played, we came 4th (about 10 points off 3rd lol)- and we played our 3 best games of season to 'steal' the 'championship'
Next year in 17s we yet again were 4th  (way off 3rd place again)- but this time Wyong (whom we shocked in minor Semi previous year)- thrashed us ;)

meh at least I finally won a GF...

But this is probably wrong thread for me to whinge on :p

On another note I question point of final series for div1? Has no bearing on promotion- seems kinda pointless...
Would prefer to see promotion playoff with bottom teams of PL...

Yet again wrong thread :p

ryan

Sym said:
Finals are awesome...it's an Aussie thing maybe ?

It's definitely an Aussie thing. Whether it's a football thing is another question. I believe a first past the post system recognises the best team of the season. Finals are fun but so many times the best team loses a one off game and justice is not done. Just look at the Mariners Premiership winning side which never got the credit they deserved.  The problem is that if we drop a finals series and we don't have washed out games to make up then the top 4 sides are effectively losing the chance to play extra games.

Ted

I vote pro finals. If the comp leaders lose the GF then its bad luck and if 4th place suddenly get through and win it then good on them. Taking away the finals would often decide the winner long before the comp is over. This would detract from the overall competitiveness of the competition.

offtheball

Ted said:
I vote pro finals. If the comp leaders lose the GF then its bad luck and if 4th place suddenly get through and win it then good on them. Taking away the finals would often decide the winner long before the comp is over. This would detract from the overall competitiveness of the competition.

Sounds like the EPL.

Paolo

Was involved in the two extremes last year (1st in firsts to then not make gf after losing two shootouts and a gf win in ressies after finishing a distant 3rd well off the pace) and the league championship was much more satisfying and actually meant something(promotion)

Arabmariner

I'm long retired so it doesn't affect me anymore.

But the threads there so I'll give my opinion.

Finals are a farce made up to give teams that haven't earned it the right to challange the team that has finished top of the league after a full home and away season in a series of one off games.

Any system where a team can run away with the league by 5 or 6 points after the home and away season then potentially lose the "championship" to another team who finished in 3rd or 4th place and perhaps 10 points off the pace cannot possibly be a fair comp imo.

Finals should be scrapped in all grades (and the A-league for that matter)... :soapbox:

Ted

offtheball said:
Ted said:

Sounds like the EPL.

well so be it...

Gopher of Pern

Arabmariner said:
I'm long retired so it doesn't affect me anymore.

But the threads there so I'll give my opinion.

Finals are a farce made up to give teams that haven't earned it the right to challange the team that has finished top of the league after a full home and away season in a series of one off games.

Any system where a team can run away with the league by 5 or 6 points after the home and away season then potentially lose the "championship" to another team who finished in 3rd or 4th place and perhaps 10 points off the pace cannot possibly be a fair comp imo.

Finals should be scrapped in all grades (and the A-league for that matter)... :soapbox:

One problem is all the washouts. Not all games are played, so the top may deserve to be there if a couple of their washouts were against the other top teams.

That said, I would prefer washouts to be played over finals series.

Ted

I love the thrill of being in the finals and have been there in various scenarios over the years. Unbeaten all season and lost the GF and unbeaten and won the GF, running 4th and made the GF (only to lose it), etc. Yep, I'm still pro finals..

offtheball

Ted said:
I love the thrill of being in the finals and have been there in various scenarios over the years. Unbeaten all season and lost the GF and unbeaten and won the GF, running 4th and made the GF (only to lose it), etc. Yep, I'm still pro finals..

I am as well. Just thought I was in the minority when people start to compare finals in Australia to the EPL. 

I don't see the attraction of a competition that goes for 40 weeks that only two or three teams can win after a month.

Must be my non football background.

Arabmariner

offtheball said:
Ted said:

I am as well. Just thought I was in the minority when people start to compare finals in Australia to the EPL. 

I don't see the attraction of a competition that goes for 40 weeks that only two or three teams can win after a month.

Must be my non football background.
It's not just the EPL though.

It's almost every football comp everywhere else at all levels.

Some will be highly competitive and some won't.I just don't think it's a fair comp when the rules are manufactured to suit those that are off the pace.

Kareem

On washouts- correct...finals can sometimes be a fair way to decide winner.
If no washouts (lol, remember the time :p) then no way!

Ted said:
Still an individual thing...like my earlier post I have had similar experience (with my 4th place GF win the most recent)- but I am anti-finals...
Not saying your wrong or I'm right, just that it can produce 2 different opinions...

Infact i liked finals until we won from 4th place- that was the turning point when I realised finals are a bit of a farce IMO. Ironic?

dibo

I'd rather see there be a genuine cup setup for the different divisions. Each age group should have a Cup, and if there are many divisions you can even have several cups (what's the all-age equivalent of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy?).

The League can be set up with more spare weeks (which can be very handy to cover wet weather and ease the bones) and the League Champions know that they've really won something rather than merely taking pole position in the lottery.

Teams at the bottom get more games too - in my comp, instead of having a 10 team comp with 18 weeks of matches, we could maybe have a 12 team comp with 22 weeks of matches. Everyone could get more matches, not just the lucky ones in the top four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred