• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FFA & Junior Football

midfielder

Below is and email I sent today to Craig Foster & Jessie Fink (HTO Blogger) today. I am also thinking of sending Frank Lowy a copy.

I would be interested in any comments, it's quite long, maybe mods could have a sticky for a week to get some feedback. Also in advance Midfielder's day time job is not in writing articles so if erros of grammer occur I am sorry, hopefully the message will still get through.

Anyway to my email(left off this copy my personal details)

Craig & Jes

RE The FFA,  package for the running of junior football in Australia.

Before I start let me say the concept of touch on the ball, smaller size fields, smaller teams, no competition until under 13 I applaud.

My owe experience as a committee member of a 600 player club in Sydneys north west, as a parent of three boys who have all played, as a regular attendee of A-League & NSL games, a coach, and as a midfield player for two many years to remember, and someone who supports all the goals and aspirations aspired for in the plan.

However after a lot of consideration, my belief is . With the best of intentions a disastrous strategic error may have occurred, and in the interest of football I need to explain my reasoning.

Craig via your commentary during the world cup and regular article in the herald & SBS, you are the football commenter with IMO the most respect in the boarder community, & Jes again IMO you are the bloggers choice via HTO with respect and crid so it to you two I turn with my fears.

As a background to my thoughts, in a generic sense there are three kinds of management decision making models, first top down, basically the board / senior management say do this and it must be done, second bottom up, where low level employees say collectively this is a good idea management look at it and say either OK or not OK, thirdly there is an in between with both sides coming together and agreeing on the best way forward.

Both the most successful and the most disastrous are top down. If management get it right then things happen very fast. But history say that top down management very often goes wrong and by the time it is seen as the wrong approach, it is often too late.

Another management problem is Group Think, this is a group of expert managers, in position of power decide on a course of action. But given they all think like each other, its creates a group answer which often ignores other ideas as a whole group has made a decision. Problem the group all think to muck alike, the most famous case is when Bill Gates offered IBM, DOS for under a million dollars and IBM said personal computers they will never work.

When combined top down and group think create, great success or dismal failure

If I leave the management theory classes; for a bit and talk about some practical life unarguable business knowns. First when developing models you must compare apples with apples. Second a lost and dissatisfied customers rarely comes back

Past history needs also to be put into a factual context. In 1955 a group of well meaning people formed a break away competition from the associations. Simply the associations were run by well meaning ANGLOs of their time periods and value systems of that time. The associations were compared to the new breakaway groups lacking in knowledge, ability, and any angle you care to name to the newcomers.

So in frustration the newcomers formed a break away competition which worked well for about two years but then went steadily down hill, this new competition had Australia banned from FIFA for a number of years and lead to the mono ethnic clubs which in turn lead to 50 odd years of poor (struggling for the right word) media, often corrupt and hopeless management. Eventually collapsing under its owe incompetence.  I guess not the outcome the newcomers had planned for.

Enough of the management and history lessons get to the point I hear you say, I will but it was important to put what I about to say in a context..

The FFA model is a top down model, with the FFA, saying this is how it is to be done. The team that put this together are all very technical football people so group think. At this point understand group think, all of the panel members are in favor and support the touch idea. 

So if every management model that has proceeded in history is correct, this will either work so well it will exceed even the grandest targets set, or fail in a way that could do SERIOUS DAMAGE TO FOOTBALL, nay MAYBE UNREPAIRABLE DAMAGE.

At this point I feel I need to restate my full support of the objectives of the report.

The history of 1955 needs to be mentioned here, why you ask, Craig you very much support and want this type of system or at least that is my read of your comments over the last two years and the new model reflects very closely a American online media link you posted last year. Therefore Craig you need to unlike Les Murry who cannot see the tragic strategic error of 1955, and who to this day still glowing talks about the great plan, that should have worked but .crashed and allowed AFL, League and to a lesser extent union to grab footholds in the sporting physic.

Have the planners ever spoken to me. Not me in the persona, but me as a representative of the local clubs.

If the planners had said to me this is our plan what do you think, I would have said great  great just a couple of minor points.

Who do you want to do this extra work, as my two biggest problems are 1) finding people at junior level to be a coach and a manager teams unless you assume parents can just show up. 2) Dont create any more work for existing workers in park teams as they are very time challenged and to keep people we can not keep creating extra work.

The effect on my club is we need now in our junior teams an additional 12 coaches and 12 managers or maybe talk someone into doing both jobs. With teams of four that is 50% of parents.

Whats that you say 50% of parents. Man you must be joking, parent support across all sports is getting harder and the reason some leagues clubs dont run junior teams. So the trend line (over 25 years) of parent helping is steadily heading south and the FFA requirement despite these trends are increase from 2 parents in 9, to 2 parents in 4. Guess what FAT CHANCE.

Second where are the fields in our association to support the plan, by the start of next year maybe two fields will have been converted by councils to the new format. So most parents will drive over half an hour often more to take Johnny to sport.

So get a 50% parent involvement, and these parents being prepared to drive for often over half an hour.  So I hope at this stage there is something starting to stir. Perhaps you think I am over reacting or this is not important, .. think about complying with OH&S regulations pertaining to running a sports team on to a playing field, complying with child protection laws.

My second request was not to create any more work for existing people at local park level. Given the already, increased work load of people on committees to create more work would be the straw that breaks the camels back for some, and a turn off for others considering joining a committee.

Our association realizing parents will not wish to travel as much asked clubs to consider laying out three games on a normal sized field starting at 9:00 and finishing at 12:00.  One club worked out 250 cones needed laying out at say 8:00 with little nets and collected at 12:00. Of course ignoring the need to find space in all ready over crowded storage areas.

My question is who is going to dress the fields every Saturday morning. Our clubs current policy is the team is nominated to dress our fields on weekend mornings and the committee needs to send members so if the nominated team does no show up, the committee will. Who is going to lay out and collect the mini fields.

The association I am with in its attempts to follow  the DIRECTION of the FFA look like in time allocating to clubs with a number of fields, the junior games, as their may be enough people to share the work load. Problem with this is the CANTEEN, who spends the most at the canteens, its the little kids, the all age sides bring their own beer to have after the match, so by directing some of the 10, 11 & 12s away from home clubs, the association is shifting canteen income and the smaller clubs will have even more financial pressure placed on them.

I should remind you I am in full support of the touch the ball philosophy.

My understanding is the model is essentially modeled on a Brazilian & Germanic junior football. I need to point out in these countries football has no real competition, no AFL with 50 million per year over five years to spend attempting to develop AFL juniors in Sydney & Brisbane.

Think about this at the same time football is asking councils to spend ever decreasing funding in re developing their fields to comply to a new football model, AFL is offering to pay councils money to develop parks.

At this point I need to remind all those in the media and running football, today, that it was not them who developed football in Australia, nor was it the old NSL people, nor the break away group back in 1955.

It was the associations; in fact the associations in spite of football management built the junior game to where it is today. What is interesting in all the reading I could find on the new youth development touch philosophy I saw little input from the associations, I did find plenty of football people with similar mind sets like Robert Baan,  Ange Postecoglou, etc. All very good but also all starting from a similar position.

Another point is by far the most popular sports competition in Australia for primary schools is the NSW primary schools football knock out comp. It has well over 1, 000 football teams, developed again by football people at the grassroots often the same people at the local clubs. Rugby league has 120 teams, union 110 teams, and interestingly (remember its NSW) AFL has 80.

The almost constant view by those running this knock out competition is to take away the competition out of this would reduce the football teams to fewer than 500 with players moving to the AFL & Rugby League teams. This is because Aussie kids like competition and if no competition would move to sports that did.

So this brings me to the point who owns the juniors, FFA, States, Associations, Local Clubs. For me football in Australia has been let down badly by all forms of management apart from the Frank Lowys after Crawford.  More importantly who knows how to run and manage local park sides.

I feel once again a group of well meaning people with vast amounts of football knowledge are imposing their will however this time it will effect how the associations run football.

LET ME MAKE IT QUITE CLEAR THE ASSOCIATIONS SAVED FOOTBALL FROM ITSELF, ITS MEDIA, ITS POOR MANAGEMENT. IT IS THE ASSOCIATIONS WHO DEVELOPED THE JUNIORS, THE VARIOUS COMPETITIONS THAT WE HAVE TODAY.

From where I stand I see the decisions made by FFA on the rules applying to juniors to be a wish list for the best possible system to develop players. It is a top down approach by a group of like minded people all wishing before they started for more touches no competitive system, based on countries were there is no real competition to football. Like any top down approach combined with group think it will either fly faster than the speed of sound or crash and burn. Given the extra hours of time (in a time starved world) needed by parents for their children to play football, the extra parents needed to coach and manage which goes against every trend line in the western world, the unforeseen I guess increased expenditure required by councils, the extra work needing to be undertaken by club committee people, the re-allocating of funds in between clubs, and the warning from the primary school teachers about  two thirds of students switching codes, the ever real danger of league, AFL & union associations looking for our players, my feeling are it will crash and burn and has the potential to undermine the one asset football has over every other code and that is its juniors and the management of the juniors.

In closing the associations can offer over sixty the most played and best managed sport in Australia, with local knowledge, of the various communities they come from, and continual growth. The associations as indicated before achieved this against a background of the worst of the worst management and media. I ASK YOU WHAT EXPERTISE DOES THE FFA BRINGS TO THE TABLE OF JUNIOR FOOTBALL MANAGEMENT.

My fear is by attempting to create the perfect training model to prepare people for national team aspirations FFA potentially will undermine the associations, who collectively are the only real success story football has, and who have the knowledge to run the game locally.

This plan does not as Ben Buckley said on SBS need to be looked at in a few years it needs to be looked at now, as the only constant reliable well managed part of football has been the associations and their development of football. To change this system needs a lot of explaining to me.

If you think I am right please bring it up and feel free to contact me if you wish.

Kind Regards

Midfielder

Gen (MarinerMum)

Well what is the percentage of registered players that get to elite level.  Huh!!! very small percentage.

13 year olds playing on a small field, you have to be kidding.  At 10 I have found that my 8 kids all playing soccer were ready for a big field, horses for courses.  Toooo many times management styles of I the boss tell u the worker that this is how it will be done, does not work.

Kids playing lower grades may benefit from this, but if you have rep teams from 11 then get real.

[move]Frankllowy Football Association ??? [/move] Experts are as good as their last report, they come and go.  What about mum & dad who coach(with minimal help, run the canteen, manage the team and are penalised if they forget to tick a box.  Bozo's from the top down.

brett

Looking at the way the FFA has acted since the Crawford report there definitely seems to be a mood of "Let's get it right the first time". They have focused hard on one project and made their plans airtight before moving on.

The progress has been made from the top down. They started with the Socceroos and the national league and now they will continue down into the trickiest part - grassroots and junior football.

Therefore, I don't see them going crazy and suddenly dictating to every club to make this change and that without any thought as to resources or manpower. Changes will be implemented as quickly as possible within the 'Let's get it right the first time' mentality. It will be a case of Baby Steps.

The right model is what the Mariners are doing. Link up with the Associations and create a pathway. Create an Academy for the most talented players and expose them to new systems of training. Filter this down through the age and skill groups over time as reasonably possible. It will take years, maybe decades, to educate coaches and restructure competitions and venues. No one is saying it won't.

Once the quality players start getting produced and the $1million + transfer fees start appearing in A-League clubs and filtering down to the Associations and clubs, the system can be further developed and I'll bet even the most resistant clubs will change their tunes.

The cultural change issues such as in Gen's post and the volunteer issues midfielder mentioned were addressed in the football development plan, so the FFA is obviously giving some mind to these things.

The changes it recommended are massive and it's hard to grasp the size of the project overall in terms of scope, time and hard work. Personally I think it's the right plan and the right time for such a plan. If it's the implementation that you want to criticise, well, that part hasn't happened yet! They could easily go about things too quickly, or too forcefully, or any other number of problems. If the FFA is diligent and the clubs have an open attitude, things can be discussed and worked out as they go along. Only with cooperation will this work, and cooperation will only happen if both parties, FFA and local level, agree on the vision, the final product. That agreement is essentially the clincher.

I can envisage the implementation of the plan being a long and painful road. There are a lot of people in grassroots who will theoretically agree with the vision, but who are ingrained in the way things are run and will run and hide at the thought of change.

As a 21yo Australian football fan, I reckon it will be worth it.

FFC Mariner

If you think of where we have come from (as a game) over just a few short years, we probably need to be careful about expecting too much too soon.

Looking at the "top down" approach that is being taken, the FFA have a strong brand in the Socceroos (God, I hate that name) and are creating a strong and viable national league. Who knows, one day there might be 14 or 16 teams??

The next step is the National Youth League. At that point, the clubs themselves need to emulate the CCM model and connect the HAL with the local comps as we have with the Lightning.

Give it a few years and I can see HAL clubs entering their own junior teams in State based rep comps to deepen the pathway for young players. LG talked recently about the "base of the pyramid" now potentially covering 80 odd thousand players??

Man Citeh's link with Perth will be the first of many (I believe) so just think, this (winter season) a few 5 year olds are going to try the game for the very 1st time and there is a clear pathway to the highest leagues in the game. Gen, it will be people like you who give so much of your time to the game at this level that will provide the energy and time required to make the whole thing work. No sporting administrators with half a brain would alienate people like that from the grassroots of the game.

Obviously, grassroots football has to be funded and coaches upskilled and that will take time and money. I have faith that the games momentum will get us there.

One day (very soon) kids wont have to trawl the crap leagues in Europe to open the door to a bigger team. They can remain in the HAL until they are ready to go over and compete at the highest level.

The completion of the pathway is what must have the other codes terrified. A monster of a global sport has now been unleashed into the Australian market and (I believe) the momentum is unstoppable.

:vhappy:

Jolly_Roger

The small sided game format promoted by the FFA involves a gradual implementation over several years. I think 2011 is the first year where all age groups up to 12 up will participate.

Mark Boyd from Central Coast Football has put together a discussion guide for its implementation. A copy can be viewed at the following address and is worth a read as it gives a guide on how CCF are looking at its implimentation 

http://www.kariongunited.com.au/picture_library/documents/Small%20Sided%20Games.pps

I do not see its implementation being a problem. The major implications for clubs is certainly setting up fields in the morning however over time, efficient systems of setting fields up will be developed by clubs for this to be done quickly. I believe its implementation also has some reliance on clubs running junior non-comp games in house. Particularly for the u5 to say u7 age groups. It would certainly be a nightmare for CCF to manage the fixtures for the younger age groups under a SSG format.

We do not need more council grounds. The small sided game concept will actually enable more players to play within  existing field boundarys. This issue has been reviewed previously based on the required field sizes and number of players for each age group. I believe it is envisaged that most clubs will probably move to run junior non comp in house rather than travelling to other clubs to play which to me makes alot of sense. As for a greater number of coaches and managers, i will use an under 5 side as an example.

An under 5's side can be registered with 10 players with a single coach and manager (similar to what is currently done), On game day to facilitate the 4v4 game concept promoted under SSG, the team is split with one side of five managed by the coach, the second side by the manager.  The two teams then play other u5 sides of similar make up from within the same club, at the same field and times each week. Essentially they are inhouse games.

You have a club of similar size to mine and therefore would probably carry 30 under fives at the start of each year. This translates into approx. 6 teams of five for the age group on game day. The clubs would run this age group in house and co-ordinate the teams for the games. Personally i see little point in having kids of this age group playing home and away against other clubs. Yes it involves more referees but its under 5's so anyone could do it. It also means that clubs would manage fixtures for under 5's to 7's which again isnt such a bad thing. 

It would be ridiculous to think that each under 5 side playing 4v4 would require its own coach and manager. Under the example i have raise above, thirty kids would require 3 coaches and three managers which is no more than what is currently needed. Training during the week, the two 5 a side teams come back together and train a a group of 10.

I believe that SSG is certainly directed at teams playing under 12's down. 13' are the first year playing the 11v11 game i believe.

Gen, in my 32 yrs being involved in football, i have yet to see an under 10 side that can successfully play 11v11 football on a full size field. Most kids couldnt clear the penalty box with a goal kick at this age.

Grass roots clubs do not produce elite footballers, however if bar can be raised in terms of technical development of players at club level through small sided games up to under 11s when the selected few move to representative development programmes, then the standard of our youth players will be at higher levels then what they are now. I think the idea is really for kids to be more developed technical prior to moving into programmes that really turn kids into elite players.

midfielder

Thanks for the replies,

Bret the top down one project at a time is fine. The problem I have is their was nothing wrong with what the associations were doing in fact they had created the mass players numbers to whoever runs football. So making a top down decision in kicking out the old NSL clubs etc no problems but to with from what I can see little input from the only real success story in football from 1930 to 2004 is unwise as I see it as the associations are not and have never been part of the problems that effected football. Bret I can understand the scoope and size of the plan what I am asking you to understand is how do you the scoope and size of the implementation programt, as you said this needs to be sorted out, but maybe seek guidence and input to develop the plan, from those who run it, not assume from on high you can direct what happens.

Gen you have an excellent point in most kids playing never reach the levels being prepared for in this plan.

Jolly_Roger I hope you are right but my own experience says not all clubs around the country have 30 under players and in house comps become training runs.

My problem is such a massive change to a system that has provided the largest player based sport in the country is well run and calls on over 70 years of experience and growth is a big call as not every person who comes to a local park club has our background and love of the game.

Greenpoleffc agree with most of what you say but we do have state bases comps now in the Champions of Champions matches, Roberston cup etc, also my experience in forming links with overseas large clubs is essentially one way, give us your talent for us to look at.

In closing I am all for the touch plan and lets get the best way of doing it, no arguement from anyone. How to do it  needs the involvement of those who run the park clubs, the associations and trust their judgements otherwise like all top down models it will fail and I don't what the plan to fail.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred