• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Farewell and Thank You Shaun

FFC Mariner

Kariong to tiger HQ at Concord is an hour. Worst part of that drive is the M1 with all the tradies thinking they are Lewis Hamilton rather than a boof head in a ute loaded with equipment.
Leave home at 5.30am, escape by 3pm and its not too bad. WFH on a Friday though as the tradie driving into the wall just N of Hawkesbury river bridge is usually scheduled for about then :) Maybe they draw lots to see who it will be
Save all your calls for the journey home.

marinermick

Leave home at 5.30am, escape by 3pm and its not too bad. WFH on a Friday though as the tradie driving into the wall just N of Hawkesbury river bridge is usually scheduled for about then :) Maybe they draw lots to see who it will be
Save all your calls for the journey home.

Before Covid I used to leave home by 5am, get to North Ryde by 6am, go to the work gym and shower, start at 7:15am and be out of there by 3:30pm. Was a great routine if you got to bed by 9pm.

The only issue is that you did the tradie run both ways and there were some real dickheads on the freeway.

Ironbark

My understanding is that Shaun was, not exactly burnt out, but ready for a break.
It's been a huge, stressful and emotional job and he didn't leave us during the dark times but saw us through it first. A lesser man would have quit when we were in the hole.

He is ready for less stress, and more time with his family. The tigers is a community engagement role without the full responsibility of a clubs survivial hanging over his head. I have no doubt he plans to return to a CEO role in time, but first just wants to enjoy his life and work for a while

Tevor

My understanding is that Shaun was, not exactly burnt out, but ready for a break.
It's been a huge, stressful and emotional job and he didn't leave us during the dark times but saw us through it first. A lesser man would have quit when we were in the hole.

He is ready for less stress, and more time with his family. The tigers is a community engagement role without the full responsibility of a clubs survivial hanging over his head. I have no doubt he plans to return to a CEO role in time, but first just wants to enjoy his life and work for a while
Yep he is loving doing his beer reviews at the moment. Nice to see him chilling out and smelling the roses.

marinermick

I can imagine working with Dick has been tough, going from an owner who was in the UK and relatively hands off, to having an owner that wants to micromanage.

Ozhammer

I can imagine working with Dick has been tough, going from an owner who was in the UK and relatively hands off, to having an owner that wants to micromanage.
Met up with Shaun at the GRSL soft launch and he seemed at ease with his decision, albeit he still clearly care deeply about the club.

Let us all hope that his departure doesn’t mean an implosion in the back office, albeit it does not appear to be a happy camp given all the notable departures over the last 6 months.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

It has made me wonder. It does not make sense.
It has started me wondering about the future of CCM which is not filling me with confidence.

As a wise man once told me. "These are the good old days, make the most of them".
I can understand that line of thinking, but we have nothing to indicate anything untoward. He's been in the same role for a long time - it's possible he's been looking for a change for quite a few months. And maybe that is it, just a change.

As for the step down - sure, though I work for a local council and see plenty of former CEOs take roles as GM's, or even lower roles in other organisations.

Sure, the timing of it has also made me wonder if there is more to the story, but that's based on my unfounded assumption that Shaun would have preferred to move in he off season. But perhaps he was considering moving, was approached and it ticked enough boxes.

Such a big loss for the club. As CEO through our dark years he's borne the ire of the fans - and I'll admit, I was in that and was proven wrong. I think Shaun understands that's the nature of his role and fans just looking for answers.

I remember going to Melbourne games where he would but a tab on at the bar for us. It was great that he came on here, and I loved how accessible he was to the podcast too.

I think the biggest thing for the club is losing somebody in that position who truly understands this club, it's culture/identity, and its struggles - and has been able to use that in the way he manages the board. He's kept the CCM identity going - and I have no doubt that's what's brought us back to a position of strength.

Of course I'm concerned for what the future will hold. We've had some musings on the Women's thread about whether that team will be treated with the same respect that Shaun was pushing, or whether the $$$ will have a bigger impact on decision making.

We've moved from new owners stepping into Shaun's ring, to the board and owners now controlling what the next CEO looks like. Of course that's a concern - but hey, that's what we do as fans. We worry! We worry because we're passionate.

Wish him all the best at Tigers, and thanks for everything.

turbo

Sure, the timing of it has also made me wonder if there is more to the story, but that's based on my unfounded assumption that Shaun would have preferred to move in he off season
I would put forward the idea that the back office staff may well be busier in the off season than regular season. Chasing sponsors, player contracts, accommodation, member renewal/droves, all that kind of thing that once it’s in place runs itself but is mission critical to get established.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I would put forward the idea that the back office staff may well be busier in the off season than regular season. Chasing sponsors, player contracts, accommodation, member renewal/droves, all that kind of thing that once it’s in place runs itself but is mission critical to get established.
Fair point, never thought of it that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred