• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Diary Clash Dilemma

bulldogmariner

MILE Sterjovski doesn't yet know whether green and gold or purple will be required next month as a potential club and country clash looms.
Perth Glory kick off their A-League season against Adelaide United on August 7 with their second match of the campaign away at Wellington Phoenix on Sunday August 16.

Sandwiched between those two fixtures the Socceroos are due to play a friendly against the Republic of Ireland in Limerick on August 12. 

If he is called upon for that match in Ireland, it is likely teammates Chris Coyne and Jacob Burns could also find themselves heading to Ireland. 

Glory's marquee man says it is an issue for Pim Verbeek and Dave Mitchell to discuss but there is no disguising his desire to help his new club get off to a good start. 

Speaking today at the official launch of the NAB Young Player Of The Year Award, he said: "Personally,  I think it's important that we (Glory) get a good start in the A-League in August so I'm not sure if we'll be involved. I haven't spoken to Pim about it yet but we'll see what his thoughts are, what David Mitchell's thoughts are and hopefully we can come up with a solution for a small problem." 

Aside from that issue Sterjovski is settling in well at Glory and is delighted with the squad the club has put together.

He says they are aiming high and makes no apologies for setting lofty targets.  He said: "We've a great squad on paper and we just have to get it right on the pitch. I had to look for a club that was right for me. I haven't regretted it one bit. 

"They (Perth) have brought in some really good players and we're looking forward to a successful season.  "I set a goal for our team and that's to make the finals. Once we make the finals anything can happen from there. (Can we win the league?) Definitely. If you can't aim high then there's no use playing. We can win it for sure." 

While the bulk of the A-League clubs are housed on the east side of Australia, Sterjovski wants to do his bit for the west.

"There's obviously much more of a buzz about football now (compared to before he left for overseas). It's good to see. I think there's more of a buzz on the east coast than there is on the west but we're looking to change that this season at Perth," he said. 

Sterjovski, who revealed that he made financial sacrifices to return home, is not concerned that marquee status could be a burden.

He observed what happened to John Aloisi last year but believes it isn't about an individual.  "There's pressures associated with marquee but as long as the team is working hard and doing well, that's what matters. If we're successful I'm sure I'll be successful," he said.  He added that he had never made career decisions based on money.

However this is not only going to affect Perth but also Jason Culina at Gold Coast and any other fringe Socceroos that Pim is looking at ahead of 2010 World Cup.

finally retired

this will be interesting as the 12th August is NOT a FIFA sanctioned date....the 19th August is...so clubs don't have to release any player picked for the friendly (or is the date in the article wrong ?).
if the 12th is correct, then you can bet the European clubs won't release players that close to the start of the new season......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred