• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Reps 2012

kevrenor

I heard some years ago that there may be long standing legal restrictions on the use of Pluim other than by CCF. As I said there may be much more water to go under this bridge.

Now don't get me wrong - I can see some very good aspects to this, but let me be a devils advocate a bit.

As for the statement "The agreement is subject to relevant approvals from Football Federation Australia and Football New South Wales" - why would you announce it if you haven't got agreement? Odd.

Also note "in its initial stages the Academy will consist of U-11 to U-18 male teams, and U-12 to senior female sides competing at the highest level permitted by Football New South Wales". We know what they allow - what is changing? Another odd statement. Note too, no U20s!

As for some of Dibo's questions - they are good ones. FNSW having moved their elite comps away from clubs and into Associations unless they had junior teams (eg. many NSWPL and some NSWSL teams), a move backed by FFA to narrow the elite pathway in NSW (perhaps excluding South Coast) to have the 2 A-League sides at the top could have a side effect - kill off many of the district sides from the top level, as it has been for Central Coast. Certainly Spirit and maybe Northern Tigers, St George and Manly are at risk).

grendel

For all the youth players this program would develop, you cannot escape the fact that the majority of players over 18 who wish to play State League football will be forced to play in Northern New South Wales (NBN competition) or travel to Sydney clubs. Only a select few will be good enough to reach the Mariners NYL squad. So the general benefits for Central Coast Football seem very narrow.

dibo

As for some of Dibo's questions - they are good ones. FNSW having moved their elite comps away from clubs and into Associations unless they had junior teams (eg. many NSWPL and some NSWSL teams), a move backed by FFA to narrow the elite pathway in NSW (perhaps excluding South Coast) to have the 2 A-League sides at the top could have a side effect - kill off many of the district sides from the top level, as it has been for Central Coast. Certainly Spirit and maybe Northern Tigers, St George and Manly are at risk).

The district sides are the ones with the broad base that can be stable in the long term. They've got the most potential for broad-based support (duh...). I can't figure why FFA would allow their reforms to weaken the broad-based clubs...

kevrenor

I can't figure why FFA would allow their reforms to weaken the broad-based clubs...

You have to know was has gone on at FNSW for the past 30 years, and follow elite senior football in NSW.

Things may be different in some Associations but the track record is that Associations are only 'committed' to elite football at senior level to allow the junior sides to be on the park under parental pressure - there is no 'broad base' in that sense. Break that nexus, setup in the past decade by FNSW, and the house of cards could come down.

The district administrators have no commitment past that - not really a criticism, just an observation - whereas the older 'clubs' tended to be passionate football people.

Penrith is already gone, and I know that both Gladesville-Hornsby are very shaky, and perhaps as I say - Ku-ring-gai, St George, Manly-Warringah, and even Blacktown. Sutherland should be OK. Even some of the 'clubs' are shaky, eg. Marconi and Bankstown.

You may end up with a NSWPL with just NYL sides from SFC, and CCMFC, plus Bonnyrigg, Sydney United, Rockdale, etc.

Hopefully this won't damage the excellent setups in the Illawarra, nor extend to NNSWF (where in fact if the Jets are to compete they need to competition to survive).

Looking forward to more professional junior elite development under CCMFC (not sure Walmsley is the man though), but people need to think through the other implications. Unless this deal is a contained one, stitched up tight with FFA and the acting board at
FNSW, they may open that box of pandora.

dibo

Associations have the issue that they're serving a constituency (member clubs) whose interests are directly opposed to rep football - rep football costs a lot to run (which comes from either parents or the clubs, and Associations cop it from both ends no matter how they manage that) and it thins out the club player base.

The old clubs are motivated by the maintenance of their tradition of elite football and they serve as a binding force for their communities. Nevertheless, any club that relies on shaking down its juniors and having a fundraiser each year where the big dicks in the [insert ethnicity here] community write the biggest cheques they can to show how wealthy they are isn't really a truly sustainable model.

A salary cap on the senior comps would be a good idea, but better yet would be a fee cap. FNSW are doing research into what each club charges, I'm wondering if , freshly armed with that information, they aren't going to go down that route.

It'd be great if rep football somehow linked in with the Associations, so kids could do both and Associations could provide academy type training for local kids (club and rep) and the kids could play both rep and club football. That'd bring rep football closer to the 'man in the park' and maybe provide a better link between the elite and the grassroots, as well as providing more football for the elite kids and raising the standards of local association comps.

Not at all sure it's possible or practical, but it'd be nice...

style_cafe

Associations have the issue that they're serving a constituency (member clubs) whose interests are directly opposed to rep football - rep football costs a lot to run (which comes from either parents or the clubs, and Associations cop it from both ends no matter how they manage that) and it thins out the club player base.

The old clubs are motivated by the maintenance of their tradition of elite football and they serve as a binding force for their communities. Nevertheless, any club that relies on shaking down its juniors and having a fundraiser each year where the big dicks in the [insert ethnicity here] community write the biggest cheques they can to show how wealthy they are isn't really a truly sustainable model.

A salary cap on the senior comps would be a good idea, but better yet would be a fee cap. FNSW are doing research into what each club charges, I'm wondering if , freshly armed with that information, they aren't going to go down that route.

It'd be great if rep football somehow linked in with the Associations, so kids could do both and Associations could provide academy type training for local kids (club and rep) and the kids could play both rep and club football. That'd bring rep football closer to the 'man in the park' and maybe provide a better link between the elite and the grassroots, as well as providing more football for the elite kids and raising the standards of local association comps.

Not at all sure it's possible or practical, but it'd be nice...

Dibo, all the points raised are very valid & seek to help solve the problem.I have attempted to answer each point from my past experience.
I am not saying that all of my answers are 100% correct as of today, as each season rules & regs change, But I hope I have shed further light onto your questions.

"Associations have the issue that they're serving a constituency (member clubs) whose interests are directly opposed to rep football."

This is very true & basically it`s the nature of the beast.Without disrespect to those hardworking people that run the clubs,but from my experience very few of the long term core group from each club committee have kids that reach rep level.
The reason for this is basically the time & committment it takes to have a child playing reps is huge & therefore a committee person just hasn`t the time for the committment to both club & Reps.
That is why we don`t see long term committee people involved as naturally they follow their own children.
Thus the divide begins.

"rep football costs a lot to run (which comes from either parents or the clubs, and Associations cop it from both ends no matter how they manage that)"
From my experience this is not true.I have been through the exercise some years ago of costing the rep teams as against the money raised by those teams for the Association over the season & at worst it`s break even.
The rep player`s pay for their gear,uniforms etc., registrations, insurance,referees fees at the start of the year.
Local clubs pay the referees fees weekly so they can charge the players less up front.
The CCFC have always charged more for the rep players.Originally it was to cover the hire cost of busees to transport players to matches however,with the opening of freeways etc.the buses were dropped but the costs remained.
Also it is in the best interest of some association committeee`s to show higher costs for the rep. teams(more acceptable expenses) as it becomes easier to hide expenses that would otherwise become embarrassing to them.

"and it thins out the club player base."
It thins out the player base by 16 players per year.However,with the usual drop out rates it could be argued that unless these kids had an elite path to travel,they to would drop out.
Also the majority of kids that don`t maintain their position in the reps return to local comp where they become the "Star player" thus the comp can maintain some strength.

"The old clubs are motivated by the maintenance of their tradition of elite football and they serve as a binding force for their communities. Nevertheless, any club that relies on shaking down its juniors and having a fundraiser each year where the big dicks in the [insert ethnicity here] community write the biggest cheques they can to show how wealthy they are isn't really a truly sustainable model."

Truer words were never spoken.This is why clubs like PAN HELLENIC,PRAGUE etc have disappeared.It usually takes about 3 generations though.

"A salary cap on the senior comps would be a good idea, but better yet would be a fee cap. FNSW are doing research into what each club charges, I'm wondering if , freshly armed with that information, they aren't going to go down that route."
A salary cap would not work under the current system.Clubs like Bonnyrigg pay their players a base wage. However, if a player has played well it is not uncommon for one or more of the fans to slip $50-$100- into the players` pocket whilst having a drink in the club.Thus a good player may pocket his $200- club payment then get another $4-500 from supporters.

One of the reasons for the breakaway from the Amateurs(by some 5 associations) some years ago, was the fact that the Amateurs had a sweetheart deal with their insurance company.
The insurance company sponsored the amateurs to the tune of $100,000- per year.You don`t have to be Einstein to realise that the kids were overcharged insurance fees to make up for that sponsorship (plus some for the insurance company as well probably)

I hope they do bring in a fee cap or even give a breakup of the fees.
At my former Association we did a fee investigation of the local clubs. We found that most clubs imposed fees & unfairly blamed the Association for them.

"It'd be great if rep football somehow linked in with the Associations, so kids could do both and Associations could provide academy type training for local kids (club and rep) and the kids could play both rep and club football. That'd bring rep football closer to the 'man in the park' and maybe provide a better link between the elite and the grassroots, as well as providing more football for the elite kids and raising the standards of local association comps."

This scenario would be ideal on paper,but is unsustainable.
The kids selected for reps usually train two nights per week with a game on the weekend.
The level of rep coaching should be thus,that it not only improves the skills of the player but also conditions the brain to a more disciplined coaching session than that given at club level.
If a player was to play for club & Reps they would then be required to do 2 rep trainings,1-2 club trainings & 1 game saturday & 1 game sunday.
Then take the worst case scenario that the rep game is in south Nowra & a kid would only last a season or two before they are burnt out or seriously injured.
The gap between grassroots(club) & elite football is a problem.
At my previous Association we had shadow rep squads.
ie. Every player in every age group was invited to rep trials.
The first 16 were selected for reps,the next 16 were invited into the academy for elite training one night per week.These players also played for local clubs.Added to the academy squads were players selected from their club for selected training sessions.
It strengthened the local comp.,encouraged the kids to a higher standard, decreased the gap between club & rep. & finally provided ready replacements if a rep player dropped out.

There is a solution to the problem but it would take a total restructure of football in this state.

style_cafe

The football NSW website confirms that after 25years there will be no senior mens representative team from the CENTRAL COAST.

Having played against the "Coasties" for the past 15years It is indeed sad & a backward step for a region that has grown so rapidly.

To all of those wonderful people that have helped the Coaties over the years I take my hat off to you & sincerely thankyou for the wonderful memories your team has provided to the football community.

It`s like chopping down a big old tree to make way for a freeway.Once it`s gone,it`s gone forever.

To "Shirley" & all the players please keep your heads up for the rest of the season.Play for pride in knowing that you gave it everything but lacked the support of your own ASSOCIATION.

To those that voted for this "Hang your heads in shame". :redcard:

As an afterthought it`s got me F..ked why you people just accept this.
It`s "YOUR" Association & "YOUR" team & you just don`t give a rats arse!!

Can`t you see that the pathway to the top for most of your elite junior players now leads out of the district because the bloody committee people who are suppose run football up here are to slack to do their job preperly & promote football at all levels.

:fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup: :fireup:

midfielder

Maybe [and I leave myself open]I am dumb ... the Mariners have developed a relationship with the association that the rep sides will come under Mariner coaching guidlines from U 11 to U 18.... why and how does this agreement stop the association running a state league senior side as is in part indicated in the local press...

I hope the very clever step of having the Mariner (see links at the end) coaching system used for rep teams from U 11 to U 18 is not being used as an excuse by the association as to why they can no longer field a team in the state league...

http://ccmariners.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=40344

http://ccmariners.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=40360

http://express-advocate-gosford.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/coach-preston-laments-end-of-state-league-era/

From next year, Central Coast Football’s under-11 to under-18, as well as all girls and women’s teams, will compete under the Mariners brand.

style_cafe

Maybe [and I leave myself open]I am dumb ... the Mariners have developed a relationship with the association that the rep sides will come under Mariner coaching guidlines from U 11 to U 18.... why and how does this agreement stop the association running a state league senior side as is in part indicated in the local press...

I hope the very clever step of having the Mariner (see links at the end) coaching system used for rep teams from U 11 to U 18 is not being used as an excuse by the association as to why they can no longer field a team in the state league...

http://ccmariners.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=40344

http://ccmariners.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=40360

From my impeccable source & confirmed by WILSONS the First Grade CCFC team were told prior to last saturday nights game that there will be no CCFC rep team in the mens league next year.

With the Mariners youth team playing in the Premier League next year CCFC will not be represented.

I`m not sure yet as to why or how this dicision was made (as yet).
From what my source told me a meeting was held (with very short notice)
& a vote was taken.

Maybe someone here can confirm if it was a Board decision or a Clubs decision.

I would imagine that such an important decision like this would have to be sanctioned by the Clubs after giving them at least 14 days notice
advising of a meeting to discuss this issue.This is usually done by calling a Special General meeting.

I haven`t gone through the Association Constitution but surely this would breach either the Constitution or the ByLaws.

marinermick

Mariners youth will not be playing in premier league next season leaving a senior void.

FNSW will not admit any new teams in PL until 2013.

dibo

From discussion of this on SFCU:

There has been a quite a bit of talk that it will be SSF to u11, YL as 12-16, with the only clubs being association (ie georgraphically) based, similar to metro which at the moment is 11 and 12s, and then senior clubs being 18, 20 and first grade, with HAL-like restrictions on first grade (ie minimum number of u23 in the first grade squad etc.). No guarantees but that one does keep coming up

It will be the Associations running youth football as per instructions, guidelines and overview by the FFA via FNSW.

Thats why its happening. No more clubs with indivudual agendas. One policy being agreed to and everyone on board.

As he says, FFA can and will have far more control over curricular, standards, charges to kids etc. etc. if its through the associations... hence this way. There will still be special FFA programs etc (a la Skilleroos/P22) who will probably play a year above their agee group and be fed into HAL academies or the Institute program if its still running.

oh and senior sides won't be able to reap $100k plus from junior sides regos to fund the seniors. Terrible loss that.

Well thats the talk for youth, there isn't much about seniors yet so you'd assume that it will be left at them being able to still have senior sides seperate to this. But yes, sadly several will struggle without junior fees to fall back on. Hopefully should see us head back to 2-3 divisions in seniors.

Taken to its natural conclusion, this would imply that while Youth League spots will be limited, at senior level there'd probably be a rationalisation as some clubs go to the wall (because they're no longer funnelling YL cash into seniors' pockets), but that essentially otherwise people would be free to apply to enter competitions. If anything it'd free things up a bit as senior clubs would no longer be required to run YL setups.

So you could theoretically have Mariners running youth league and feeding some players into the NYL side as they play NSWPL and then *in parallel* have CCFC (for argument's sake) running alongside.

The problem is that senior football costs a lot to run and attracts no fee revenue. If you can't get a crowd and you don't have significant sponsor backing *and* there's no youth league or Association funding, you're cactus. So then the problem is financial, and unfortunately that's a little bit more difficult to solve.

style_cafe

During the split of Associations (Federation V Amateurs days approx. yr2000) the AWSEM group put a proposal to the Federation regarding the future development of football in this state.

The basis of that proposal was that eventually the top tier of Football in the State would be Association based.Very much along the lines of the old junior league competition whereby the "metropolitan"region was divided into a north & South region.

All youth development would be part of the Association setup.

Representative teams would be drawn from within the Association boundaries with 2 spots for out of area players.
The basic reasons for this were:-
1) To give the Association more control over player development
2) To stop the parents prostituting their kids to all & sundry.
3) To be able to monitor youth coaching within each Association.
4) To enable SoccerNSW to give coaching assistance where necessary.
5) To build a feeling of ownership within the community for their representative teams
6) To allow corporate involvement within each area.
7) To ensure that the best players represented the Association as it was the higher & more prestigious League
8) To build a "pryamid" within each Association with the first grade team as the pinnacle.

Country regions would be set up similarly.

The Clubs ie. Blacktown,Melita etc. were then to form the second tier.

Associations eventually would be given assistance by SoccerNSW in setting up licenced premises to assist with the finances.
These Licenced clubs would then be part of a chain of clubs (similar to the RSL) that would see a percentage of their proceeds going back to SoccerNSW to run the whole scheme.

In doing so registrations & fees could be supplemented,thus keeping the costs to families low which in turn would enable more players to participate.

The long term plan was to build regionalised teams with large support bases. People would then identify with their local team & support them(similar to what we have with the MARINERS)

National League clubs would then be able to draw from the talent pool with various Associations supporting each National League team.

With the advent of the HAL & what has happened in the past 10 years I think the proposal still has a lot of merit.

dibo

SC - I think the endgame of what you're talking about is exactly what is *rumoured* to be proposed. If it could be made to work, it would turn local associations into bodies more respected than pitied, which would be something of a step up.

midfielder

During the split of Associations (Federation V Amateurs days approx. yr2000) the AWSEM group put a proposal to the Federation regarding the future development of football in this state.

The basis of that proposal was that eventually the top tier of Football in the State would be Association based.Very much along the lines of the old junior league competition whereby the "metropolitan"region was divided into a north & South region.

All youth development would be part of the Association setup.

Build a "pryamid" within each Association with the first grade team as the pinnacle.

Country regions would be set up similarly.

The Clubs ie. Blacktown,Melita etc. were then to form the second tier.

Associations eventually would be given assistance by SoccerNSW in setting up licenced premises to assist with the finances.

These Licenced clubs would then be part of a chain of clubs (similar to the RSL) that would see a percentage of their proceeds going back to SoccerNSW to run the whole scheme.

In doing so registrations & fees could be supplemented,thus keeping the costs to families low which in turn would enable more players to participate.he long term plan was to build regionalised teams with large support bases. People would then identify with their local team & support them(similar to what we have with the MARINERS)

National League clubs would then be able to draw from the talent pool with various Associations supporting each National League team.

With the advent of the HAL & what has happened in the past 10 years I think the proposal still has a lot of merit.

This is the logical and the best format .... the old NSL system had the associations and the NSL clubs in a sorta super league war ... especially if you go back to 1955...

SC - I think the endgame of what you're talking about is exactly what is *rumoured* to be proposed. If it could be made to work, it would turn local associations into bodies more respected than pitied, which would be something of a step up.

I hope so... I very much hope so ...

Then connect the associations to the A-League teams....

Wilsons

http://express-advocate-wyong.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/coach-preston-laments-end-of-state-league-era/

style_cafe

If that`s the way they go & they do it properly, as I`ve outlined in a previous post,I would be as proud as!

I was the main author of that proposal with assistance from Bill Rooney ex-Macarthur & Peter Chiarello ex Eastern Suburbs.

I`ll have to go find my trumpett......

Nathan Byrn

http://www.footballnsw.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Competitions/2012_Leagues/Super_Youth_League_2012_Declaration_of_Leagues.pdf

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred