• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM vs Western United round 7 (home)

Avoca

Sunday 7th February.

We’ve currently played the most games (equal with the Jets at 6 matches).

Our attack looks promising. Kuol has the third most shots taken in the A-League (13), & the team has the highest on target shots (26). Clisby has the highest chances created (16) and crosses (45).

Our defence will have to be solid against Western United. In four matches, Rudan’s men have averaged 8.25 corners per game (we only have 5.8). However, WU get caught offside more at 2.75 per match (we’re disciplined at only 1.1). Clearly they’re keen at taking a chance & pushing forward.

Our possession, some might argue, needs to increase, as we’ve only been over 50% once. Conversely, WU have only been under 50% once. We need to hang on to the ball.

style_cafe

I was just thinking about this weekends game and noticed there wasn`t a topic on it as yet.

Squad selections must be starting to give Staj a headache.
With everyone firing atm the easiest way out is to rest anyone that`s injured.
However, a player like Miller could possibly lose heart with so many in front of him.
I think Staj has to keep giving the imports more and more minutes,whilst rotating players like Smylie, Balard,Hall,Miller etc.
We can`t afford to have disgruntled players in the ranks so the use of substitutes becomes a major factor in out success.

Western haven`t been playing too badly either and players like Berisha, Conner Paine, Diamante have to held in check whilst they are on.
Paine is playing extremely well atm and Janota/Nizz if he plays will need to close him down quickly.

I think Staj will keep the Simon/ Urena partnership going to start with to give us some grunt up front then bring on Kuol and maybe Smylie to have a run against the tiring Durrante and Uskok.

It should be an interesting game with showers forecast, which may hold back an increased crowd...:popcorn:

Huddo

We've been really effective with what we've done with the ball when we had it. Possession stats can be misleading.

Agreed, Leicester had a 40% average when they won the league ( mind you they are the exception the closest possession to them for a epl Victor was 59%).
But the point remains if we are naturally a defensive team, we get it right and everything else will click.
Fighting it means fighting the way we feel most comfortable in the game, and we've seen 7 years of that.

marinermick

with okon ball we had 4 wins . possession means bugger all .

Exactly right. Possession based football to win games became redundant when Chile blew Spain out of the 2014 WC and Germany went on to win through a fast, counter attacking brand of football.

Okon and his other curriculum cronies at the FFA never caught up. Look at how poorly Milicic is doing with an outstanding team on paper.

The reality is that we don’t have the money to play a possession based game. This style requires buying players of high technical ability who can also compete physically. These players are more expensive.

We have the perfect plan for the players we have. Don’t faff too much at the back and get the ball to the final third quickly where we have players who can compete with physicality and pace. On top of that make sure these player are fitter than anyone in the league.

All stuff we can do without money.

booney

I think you will find that it was the Dutch who wiped Spain in the 2014 WC. The Dutch played a mixture of possesion based football but also scored goals from counterattacks.This is the way the Mariners have been endeavouring to play this season as far as I can make out.

Ironbark

Rudan said the Mariners' form repaid the faith the club showed in Stajcic after a tough run last season.

"It wasn't a one-off when they beat Sydney FC, or Macarthur," Rudan said.

"They've knocked off a championship favourite in Melbourne City - (from) down 2-0 as well, playing three days later.

"This team is the real deal as far as we're concerned - they're top of the table for a reason and they deserve to be top of the table. So we play against the best team, for me, in the competition." https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/hes-turned-the-place-around---stajcic-is-a-magician-rudan-560714

I couldn't have dreamed of comments like this at the end of last season. Cloud 9.

scottmac

Suspended
Rudan said the Mariners' form repaid the faith the club showed in Stajcic after a tough run last season.

"It wasn't a one-off when they beat Sydney FC, or Macarthur," Rudan said.

"They've knocked off a championship favourite in Melbourne City - (from) down 2-0 as well, playing three days later.

"This team is the real deal as far as we're concerned - they're top of the table for a reason and they deserve to be top of the table. So we play against the best team, for me, in the competition." https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/hes-turned-the-place-around---stajcic-is-a-magician-rudan-560714

I couldn't have dreamed of comments like this at the end of last season. Cloud 9.
If we win I'm predicting an all time blow up from Rudan on the sideline. I'd put money on it. ???

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I think you will find that it was the Dutch who wiped Spain in the 2014 WC. The Dutch played a mixture of possesion based football but also scored goals from counterattacks.This is the way the Mariners have been endeavouring to play this season as far as I can make out.
HUP HOLLAND HUP ....not that I got any Dutch genes or anything

Forum Phoenix

Sunday 7th February.

We’ve currently played the most games (equal with the Jets at 6 matches).

Our attack looks promising. Kuol has the third most shots taken in the A-League (13), & the team has the highest on target shots (26). Clisby has the highest chances created (16) and crosses (45).

Our defence will have to be solid against Western United. In four matches, Rudan’s men have averaged 8.25 corners per game (we only have 5.8). However, WU get caught offside more at 2.75 per match (we’re disciplined at only 1.1). Clearly they’re keen at taking a chance & pushing forward.

Our possession, some might argue, needs to increase, as we’ve only been over 50% once. Conversely, WU have only been under 50% once. We need to hang on to the ball.

Not necessarily, I don’t care whether we win the possession stat, just the most effective possession stat. its worked so far.

I’m not against having more possession, but two of our key strengths has been more direct play and a focus on strong defensive shape and forcing turn overs. Working a treat imo. So I’d be wary about looking to increase possession as a general note, because our safety first approach at the back as one example has been bloody refreshing and sorely missed in recent years imo.

*edit* just continued reading and saw all the other responses re possession. Not trying to flog a dead horse FMTA.

Last edited:

shipwreck

Need to win this one to get back on top of the table! Roar have 4 consecutive wins now, we seem to be getting all the praise but they're quietly doing their business too.

The draw is so f**ked up now that it's hard to draw parrelels, they have played a horrible Victory twice now for an easy 6 points and a good goal difference. Are they good or have they just played very shit teams?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami