• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Supporters Trust

Ancient Mariner

After being initially enthusiastic to commit, I think I will now wait until it becomes more clear what happens after our new chairman's extremely expensive lease expires and then see what he does when his option to purchase 50% falls due.

In terms of being a cynic and a Hanrahan I think I could give FFC a run for his money on this topic.

Ancient Mariner

Agree. Big Dicks buy now pay....sometime deal has the hallmarks of a CCM clusterf**k
Why would you fork out a $7m-$8m (podcast interview) over 3 years to be chairman and fund the club with nothing to show for it but an option to purchase 50%, when you could probably buy your 50% for the same money.
I am not saying this is a dumb move, I am curious as to the reasoning.

Ancient Mariner

Is setting your own KPIs a way of saying that if he cannot achieve them the Club is not worth buying?
It is not the current owner saying you have to meet these goals before I will take you on as a partner.

Ancient Mariner

Pete, none of my above questions were for the pod in the wrong post. They are meant to stimulate general discussion on the future ownership of the Club.

I saw a statement by Gatty somewhere else that that stated Canberra and Aukland were favourites to be the next expansion teams. It started me wondering whether our new prospective owner still had an interest in the Canberra bid.

I revisited the pod with RP and listened closely to a lot of his answers. Many of them raised more questions in my mind around why he was going about his proposed ownership in this manner. Pondering on some of these questions, especially after his answer about the proposed trust, made me uncomfortable and made me think I would prefer to wait and see where we are going in 3 years time before investing.

Last edited:

Corsair

Why would you fork out a $7m-$8m (podcast interview) over 3 years to be chairman and fund the club with nothing to show for it but an option to purchase 50%, when you could probably buy your 50% for the same money.
The cynic in me can't set aside the fact his kid is in the academy and wants to go pro.

pjennings

1) If he bought 50% for $7m-$8m now he would also have to come up with money each year on top to run the club.
2) If the ALM tanks he is not responsible
3) If the ALM takes off, and the club along with it, I suspect he has an option to buy at a set price.

In other words it is a $7m-$8m bet. Bit rich for me - but if he can afford it ...

Forum Phoenix

The cynic in me can't set aside the fact his kid is in the academy and wants to go pro.

I'm sure like most humans with most things, there's multiple reasons. Helping his son is I'm sure a priority for him as a Father. But there's only so much he can do. Can buy him some opportunities maybe. But can't buy him a career. And Peil isn't stupid. As a business owner, I'm sure he enjoys success and as a football player and fan, how could he not love the opportunity to be apart of something and help build something. Personally, I'm not just feeling comfortable, I'm happy and optimistic. Beyond ice baths and the likes, the extra budget is already showing in our player depth and contract length.

Obviously when he brought in Wilkshire, he had to oust some good people to do it, and that understandably would have ruffled some feathers, so there's been some people looking for signs he's sprouting horns ever since. But, he was obviously just doing what he felt would be best for the club long term. We'll find out in time. He's stumping up the cash, so it's his prerogative. It is reasonable to think Wilkshire has a depth of understanding and experience that most can't and as a result he will be of greater value long term. And if it proves not be true. He should be judged then.

Anyway, these are just more general thoughts on RP. Not taking aim at you Corsair.

Ancient,

"Why would you fork out a $7m-$8m (podcast interview) over 3 years to be chairman and fund the club with nothing to show for it but an option to purchase 50%, when you could probably buy your 50% for the same money."

My guess is that this expenditure was probably agreed as part of the overall negotiated purchase fee or negotiated against it. Why do it this way? Again can't be sure, but it would make it more affordable to spread the costs but allow Richard to become involved straight away, which in turn means Mike's losses start being offset straight away and all without having to rush into a long term partnership.

But could be totally wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami