• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenlig

Sounds like we're all singing from the same hymnal here. Let's get back to this.
If it takes another 4 years...f**k it, I'm in.

Insertnamehere

If things keep tracking the way they have over these 2 seasons with Okon and he doesn't get what he needs in the shape of another cb, lb, right and left sided midfielder and striker then next year will be the worst we've ever seen at this club.

For mine spending the cap is absolute minimum and not necessarily a pass. Someone outside the cap and the full cap spent is what I'd like to see. If Mike cant accommodate then he probably won't have any support from the rusted on's (Who ive never seen react on mass as badly as this year) and there may be calls for us to fold from the media as there had been for Wellington just this week. Our past is the only thing separating us and Wellington right now.

Sean and Mike, next year is the year. We really can't afford another year of being the little club that cant and when I say we I mean the supporters. The lifeblood.
I was gonna say, at least we have wellington. If they get flogged off, we'll be next. Although I am on the bye bye nux side of the fence.

FFC Mariner

Sorry guys, been lurking and not motivated to post but....

Shaun and the team in the back office have done all that they were asked to do this season (special mench to DDTMM). Our esteemed owner hasn't. Pulling funding when we already spend below the cap is inexcusable. Appiah cash? Asdrubal wages? No, He pocketed that

In football, the team with the lowest wage bill ends up bottom. We will be fighting the Nix for a spoon. If the rumours of behind the scenes disharmony that happened after the Sydney away game are even 1/2 true, we will be stone motherless last.

Okon has gone to the media to get his retaliation in 1st (this mornings article by Gatty). His silence when asked on the pod about next season says everything and it looks like he is out the door too (I kinda hope SFC take him and he f**ks them over with his anti football). Imagine when they realise how awful he is :)

I started this season with 6 of us who are season 1 nailed on members and there are 3 left. The others aren't coming back until MC is gone.
The club cant continue like this and if MC has got the COE running, he might want to just hand the license in and we all go our separate ways.

I'm done, I was at Sydney away and the fans were as good as we have ever been. We sang for 90 minutes and I know that the players appreciated it but I dont care if we fold now.

f**k you Charlesworth

ps - SM wont see this as he hasnt looked at this forum for a month

adz

Staff member

Just on this point and sure you're aware - not being logged in isn't the same as not looking at the forum.

Also, this is an unofficial fan run forum, so I don't expect the Mariners CEO to be on here replying to things - happy he does when he gets the chance to though.

I'm sure if you ping him or fire up like Rowdy did once you will get a reply though... haha.

nebakke

I don't mind paying, unless it's for a rag, so a quick Google reveals this.

Mariners’ search for quality striker hamstrung by lack of cash

Mariners head coach Paul Okon.
It was one short sentence but the frustration in the voice of Paul Okon was palpable.

Another game, another week without a win, another week in which the spotlight has been turned on Central Coast’s attacking woes and the lack of a quality goalscorer.

The Mariners thought they might have had their man in Spanish striker Asdrubal, but he came, failed to conquer and was on his way 17 rounds into the season with a paltry return of two goals from 11 games.

And while most A-League clubs were busy during the January transfer window, Okon had to make do in the bargain section, signing defensive midfielder Jacob Melling and defender Jacob Poscoliero when he was also really crying out for a striker of substance.

But as Okon will tell you, it can be hard to fight when you have one arm tied behind your back.

The former Socceroo didn’t have to go into the finer details but it was summed up in one line: “You have to understand where we are as a football club in terms of being able to spend maybe what other clubs do in that position.”

Central Coast have not been renowned for loosening the purse strings over the past three or four seasons, spending far less of the allowed $2.55 million salary cap than most of the other A-League clubs.

That doesn’t help when you to try to attract decent players, let alone a serious No 9.

“Not unless you have got a chequebook in your pocket,” Okon said when asked about the prospect of finding a striker, who has to be a free agent, at this stage of the season.

“We tried really hard but unfortunately when the time came to find out how much they wanted, the numbers just didn’t stack up. The money being asked ... ”

It means the Mariners will have to make do with what they have as they battle to break a 10-game winless streak and stay in the fight for the finals.

Sunday’s 2-1 loss to Western Sydney in Gosford means they have lost three of their past five games and they are now six points behind sixth-placed Western Sydney, who also have a game in hand.

“We have six attackers and we will soldier on with them,” Okon said. “Peter (Skapetis) took his goal really well (against the Wanderers).

“(Blake) Powell had a great opportunity early in the second half and probably should have scored.

“We do feel we have people who can find the back of the net.”

In the meantime, Okon said his squad needs to regroup during the 13-day break between Sunday’s loss and their next game against Adelaide United away on February 17.

“We just have to keep working hard, battling away to find that long-awaited win we so badly need,” he said.

“The players will have their normal routine this week and I’ll give them Friday, Saturday and Sunday off before they come back into training for the Adelaide game.”

New signing Poscoliero is certain to come into calculations for a start against the Reds after his return to the Mariners.

The 27-year-old central defender joined Perth Glory at the start of this season but was given limited opportunities and found himself back at his old club after less than five months.

“He was a chance to play against the Wanderers but had only trained twice with us, but he will certainly be looked at to play a big part for the rest of the season,” Okon said.

Shaun Mielekamp

Sorry guys, been lurking and not motivated to post but....

Shaun and the team in the back office have done all that they were asked to do this season (special mench to DDTMM). Our esteemed owner hasn't. Pulling funding when we already spend below the cap is inexcusable. Appiah cash? Asdrubal wages? No, He pocketed that

In football, the team with the lowest wage bill ends up bottom. We will be fighting the Nix for a spoon. If the rumours of behind the scenes disharmony that happened after the Sydney away game are even 1/2 true, we will be stone motherless last.

Okon has gone to the media to get his retaliation in 1st (this mornings article by Gatty). His silence when asked on the pod about next season says everything and it looks like he is out the door too (I kinda hope SFC take him and he f**ks them over with his anti football). Imagine when they realise how awful he is :)

I started this season with 6 of us who are season 1 nailed on members and there are 3 left. The others aren't coming back until MC is gone.
The club cant continue like this and if MC has got the COE running, he might want to just hand the license in and we all go our separate ways.

I'm done, I was at Sydney away and the fans were as good as we have ever been. We sang for 90 minutes and I know that the players appreciated it but I dont care if we fold now.

f**k you Charlesworth

I've seen it - sorry I don't log on when I jump on the forum to read what everyone is saying.

bikinigirl

Sounds like we're all singing from the same hymnal here. Let's get back to this.
If it takes another 4 years...f**k it, I'm in.

. to quote the closing comment from Simon Hill ... "the smallest club with the biggest heart"

. unfortunately we can only claim to be the smallest club now

Forum Phoenix

. to quote the closing comment from Simon Hill ... "the smallest club with the biggest heart"

. unfortunately we can only claim to be the smallest club now

Because in the modern game you need to swap wallet for heart? :(

It’s hard to generate heart and pride in your players when you spoon or duke it out at the bottom of the table. Especially in the modern game where most players allegiance is to their agents advice on what’s “best for them” which is always more money and or a club perceived as ‘bigger’. But for an agent that’s because it will increase the players profile and ongoing value.. so still just money really.

But the lack of on field ambition is also a real deterrent to players I think. And is also why I thought Okon had done a great job convincing some good players that there was real ambition here again. But we didn’t back that up with adequate squad spend.

Insertnamehere

I certainly hope in light of the last 11 results that the board and CEO are starting to discuss with Okon what has actual plan is and whatever he's doing needs to change. It's evident he can't just run his own race anymore. Too many rusted ons have chipped off and it'll be extremely costly for the club and resultantly MC.

pjennings

Because in the modern game you need to swap wallet for heart? :(

It’s hard to generate heart and pride in your players when you spoon or duke it out at the bottom of the table. Especially in the modern game where most players allegiance is to their agents advice on what’s “best for them” which is always more money and or a club perceived as ‘bigger’. But for an agent that’s because it will increase the players profile and ongoing value.. so still just money really.

But the lack of on field ambition is also a real deterrent to players I think. And is also why I thought Okon had done a great job convincing some good players that there was real ambition here again. But we didn’t back that up with adequate squad spend.

We are definitely in tough times on the field, but the changing football landscape, with FIFA, the AFC and the myriad of other stakeholders trying to get their own way we are also very vulnerable off the field. I am sick of being 'the little club that could' particularly now that we have morphed into "the little club that can't."

I get what Lyall Gorman wanted to do with the COE. I get that Mike wants to continue it. The problem is that it is taking too long. The COE was a 15 year plan. It is meant to supplement our income so that we can be one of the 'big clubs'. In concept it is a great strategy. It takes away a natural disadvantage that a small club has but it has taken too long. It is also an insurance policy for when the inevitable promotion and relegation is introduced. If that comes in and we get relegated then unless we have sufficient alternate income streams then that is essentially the death of our club. The income streams from the COE will allow us survive at a lower level and bounce back to the top level.

If Mike cannot complete the COE in a much quicker timeframe then the club will wither and die before the true benefit is seen. The time has come for Mike to find more funds. If he is not keen on putting more in at this time then investors/venture capitalists have to found now. This off season there needs to be a big statement made. More money needs to be brought in, major movement on the COE must happen and the squad needs major strengthening.

The club is at a crossroads and the road ahead is unclear - but it is clear which road that needs to be taken for the clubs survival
  • We can continue at the pace we are going and die a slow and agonising death.
  • Mike can sell the license to someone willing to invest in the squad but not the COE and put off the inevitable slow and agonising death.
  • Mike and/or investors invest both in the COE and the squad in a major way and we get to the stage where COE revenue becomes the major income stream for the club (not the TV grant). Only in this way will we have long term survival. If we could also convince Council that CCMFC would be better managers of the Stadium then the combined Stadium and COE income has the potential for us to be one of the 'big clubs'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb