• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM - changing hands or Russians all over again?

Pirate Pete

So then, the COE?
At a fans forum MC said it was vital to be built. He foresaw a time when there was no salary cap in the A League.
He said it would be a way of providing money to compete with the others.
Will the COE be included in the sale. I would hope so.

Gratis

QUOTE=Pirate Pete
Anton Tagliaferro already owns a club in Malta. I googled him to see where he was based.
I was wondering if we would be relocated to Melbourne. However it says his offices are in Sydney. So hopefully stay here, or maybe a new southern Sydney franchise?

Anton Tagliaferro, investment director with Investors Mutual, says both soccer and funds management require plenty of preparation to win.

Not many Australians own soccer clubs overseas, but you're the president and owner of Maltese Premier League club Balzan FC. How did that happen?

I was born in Malta and played for the Balzan under 19s before I left to study accountancy in London. We won a couple of league titles, but really I was a pretty average player. Ten years ago I was in Malta and walking through the village square where there's a 500-year-old church and the team's clubhouse. I walked in and the first person I saw was the guy who coached me 30 years earlier. I asked him how things were going and made the mistake of uttering those four fateful words 'how can I help?' So it went from there.

I think the link is paywalled..... right click and open in private window.
http://www.afr.com/brand/afr-magazine/how-anton-tagliaferro-ended-up-buying-a-soccer-club-in-malta-20171127-gztf4t

Tim Sherwood probably wants the Lee to buy the club so he can get his next coaching gig.

scottmac

Suspended
So then, the COE?
At a fans forum MC said it was vital to be built. He foresaw a time when there was no salary cap in the A League.
He said it would be a way of providing money to compete with the others.
Will the COE be included in the sale. I would hope so.
Wasn't that the reason we lost the Bakries to roar? (A bullet dodged mind you)
I can't see Mike giving it up without it turning him a profit but then maybe hes ready to cut all losses?
f**k I really hope something comes of these. All are quite interesting. It may also be a case of part ownership with Mike still involved and majority owner? I wouldn't put that past him. If he does try to force that I cant see Celtic or Swindon wanting in.

pinklady

QUOTE=Pirate Pete
Anton Tagliaferro already owns a club in Malta. I googled him to see where he was based.
I was wondering if we would be relocated to Melbourne. However it says his offices are in Sydney. So hopefully stay here, or maybe a new southern Sydney franchise?

Anton Tagliaferro, investment director with Investors Mutual, says both soccer and funds management require plenty of preparation to win.

Not many Australians own soccer clubs overseas, but you're the president and owner of Maltese Premier League club Balzan FC. How did that happen?

I was born in Malta and played for the Balzan under 19s before I left to study accountancy in London. We won a couple of league titles, but really I was a pretty average player. Ten years ago I was in Malta and walking through the village square where there's a 500-year-old church and the team's clubhouse. I walked in and the first person I saw was the guy who coached me 30 years earlier. I asked him how things were going and made the mistake of uttering those four fateful words 'how can I help?' So it went from there.

I think the link is paywalled..... right click and open in private window.
http://www.afr.com/brand/afr-magazine/how-anton-tagliaferro-ended-up-buying-a-soccer-club-in-malta-20171127-gztf4t

Tim Sherwood probably wants the Lee to buy the club so he can get his next coaching gig.
Did the speculation come from this or because of this:
https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/harry-ascroft-completes-overseas-transfer
"Ascroft’s trial and transfer is a result of a newly established relationship between the Central Coast Mariners and Balzan F.C. This relationship is aimed to increase player pathway opportunities into Europe for young Australian players."

JoyfulPenguin

Hasn't Charlesworth said in the past that he only wants someone as a partner not to sell the club?
If Charlesworth was to sell though you would have to hope that the COE is included, as well as an agreement to keep colours, badge and location the same.

pjennings

Wasn't that the reason we lost the Bakries to roar? (A bullet dodged mind you)
I can't see Mike giving it up without it turning him a profit but then maybe hes ready to cut all losses?
f**k I really hope something comes of these. All are quite interesting. It may also be a case of part ownership with Mike still involved and majority owner? I wouldn't put that past him. If he does try to force that I cant see Celtic or Swindon wanting in.

We lost out on the Bakrie's to the Roar because the FFA deemed them "'not of fit character". Then months later they had no problem when Lyall Gorman as head of the FFA sat in front of me at a Mariners Knox game (not involving Brisbane) entertaining the Bakrie family. They left about half way during the second half and the deal was done over dinner that night at Gorman's home.

nebakke

The bits I've read, I'd like the idea of Tagliaferro taking a stake... He's local-adjacent, he apparently runs the AC Milan Australian academy, for what it's worth and he's had a relationship to SFC's academy, so clearly he has an interest in Australian football and youth development. With what I have read so-far, he seems like he could be an excellent fit with the club and potentially help bring in some new talent to our youth/academy every so often too.
For all of the ire that MC has earned, I rather like the idea of a partnership there... I don't doubt MC's commitment to the club - I just also don't doubt his commitment to the bottom-line and how it comes first... So the potential for someone to do a cash injection into the club and CoE while also taking on some of the risk and responsibility would probably be an interesting exercise.

Knowing how these things tend to work out, I'm sure nothing will come of it, but this could have the potential to provide another year's worth of hope if it came through I reckon.

pjennings

Simply put you don't buy football clubs if you want to make money. To make a football club viable they must have assets and buyers buy the assets associated with the club.

What assets are associated with our club? We have a license to compete in the HAL - albeit in the smallest area. We have short term contracts with a group of football players. And we have the COE.

I don't know but I suspect that the COE is at the stage where it is breaking even - but not contributing to the club. Mike reportedly borrowed to complete the last building. He may be looking for partners to share the load and come to the party and complete the COE so that it becomes a revenue producer for the club to pay for the cost of running the team in a post cap world and potentially a place where more young Australian talent is developed.. Whether that is Lee Power, Celtic, Anton Tagliaferro or a consortium of some or all of them I suspect he wouldn't care. .

NoDiggity

Please note that no sources are ever given in these tweets.. although "the covert agent" has been bang on with rumours in the past

Forum Phoenix

We need more investment than Mike is either able or willing to give. Unlike others I don’t hate him for that. But I am happy though at the idea of bringing in someone who can spend that little extra to ensure we’re competitive and have a good footballing product again.

Big Al

Please note that no sources are ever given in these tweets.. although "the covert agent" has been bang on with rumours in the past
This could work in the sense that MC continues to hold and develope the COE and Swindon Town could run the club.

A bit like the club Ange has gone to in Japan. They hold a majority share but have given city (the minor shareholders) the keys to run the football department.

Timmah

Bang on sometimes, wildly off the mark others.

Never mentions when he gets one wrong e.g. Milligan to UAE

Wombat

Swindon Town.................FFS.

They should be a feeder club for us.

Turnip munchers!

Insertnamehere

Seems Lee Power isn't to dissimilar to MC, this Maltese was lowys pick to fund WSW so might want to have a team for southern sydney.
Carn Celtic

Pirate Pete

Seems Lee Power isn't to dissimilar to MC, this Maltese was lowys pick to fund WSW so might want to have a team for southern sydney.
Carn Celtic

I briefly read some of the replies on the Swindle forum last night and the impression I got was this bloke sounds like another MC.

Insertnamehere

I've been reading a bit about MLS and their franchise structure. Basically they have decided the market is almost irrelevant, they will have enough interested parties. The #1 thing is that the owners are going to spend bulk coin above and beyond the franchise fee ($150mill). Seems to me that should be the FFAs first idea. That is one thing football has above AFL/NRL etc etc, large pools of accessible money worldwide.
What's the point in owners using clubs as tax deductions or buy and hold capital investments? You burn the league and the fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred