• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Can Accountants Save the World

midfielder

HHHHMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm in my monthly journal the following appeared and I looked up to the sky and said ... YES WE CAN....

Just loved the title ... posted article below ... quite boring actually ... I can see myself now bounding out of my Ettalong Beach office with a Mariners cape ....

If you want to read it ... but just through I would share the title...

Can accountants save the world?

The big accounting idea known as ‘integrated reporting’ has attracted the attention of the profession’s best-known historian.

The current global economic period can be broadly characterised by the fact that, for more than a decade, nations around the globe have been struggling to find a way forward economically. In some cases, nations have failed fi nancially, requiring bailouts and sending shock waves through the world’s markets.

At the same time, corporations – sometimes based within those struggling nations – are thriving. Many have values greater than the entire stock markets of certain countries. It was recently reported, for instance, that if you owned Apple and sold it, you could then go on to buy the entire Russian stock market and still have US$121 billion to spare.

Nations and states, many believe, are at least partly held to account on measures such as human rights, judicial systems, economic issues and environmental practices, by their neighbours and by international governing bodies such as the United Nations. This is necessary for the ongoing health and vitality of societies around the globe.

Corporations, however, have historically been expected to simply provide an annual financial report. But as they are now more powerful than many nations, and the emergence of the information age has brought new forms of wealth, corporations are understandably being expected to consider and measure other sustainability issues, as well as their impact on the world around them. But how do they quantify issues that are intangible?

Revolutionary new capitals

Enter integrated reporting, not an entirely new concept but one which is gaining traction both internationally and locally. This was evident in the wideranging discussion generated among Australian accountants when the IPA co-hosted round-table discussions with the International Integrated Reporting Council in October 2014.

A new book by Jane Gleeson-White, Six Capitals: The Revolution Capitalism Has To Have, shines more light on the complexities, challenges and the benefits that integrated reporting could offer. Traditional accounting looks towards the reporting of ‘fi nancial’ and ‘industrial’ capital. Integrated reporting adds another four: ‘intellectual’, ‘human’, ‘natural’ and ‘social and relationship’ capital. Gleeson- White really does see this as revolutionary. The book’s subtitle is: Can Accountants Save The Planet?

“The information age is responsible for the idea of human capital and intellectual capital,” says Gleeson-White, also author of 2012’s award-winning history of accounting, Double Entry.

“Why does a New-Age company like Twitter list for astronomical prices on the stock exchange, despite having no cash fl ow and few tangible assets?

Its wealth is in areas not accounted for in traditional fi nancial reports: ‘geeks and their software’, or human capital and intellectual capital.”

Gleeson-White adds that “the idea of social and relationship capital has come from external activists that have brought about such ideas as the sustainable reporting initiative. But they have yet to be integrated into the main financial report and bear on financial decisions.”

Holistic reporting

And this, says Gleeson-White, is where some of the real value of integrated reporting lies. It gets business departments talking to each other, finding out how the fi nancial decisions affect sustainability and vice versa, for example. “It’s a matter of getting all these people together and creating a report that refl ects the whole company and its ethos,” she says.

It also provides far clearer information for investors. “If you’re faced with a choice in investing in one of two beverage companies, one which clearly reports how it is caring for its water sources and another which doesn’t, you are likely to put your money into the company that is reporting on its most critical natural resource,” writes Gleeson-White. “Eventually, the value of integrated reporting will just become self-evident, I think.”

Depth and clarity

But how does an accountant, and in particular an auditor, put a value on something that can’t be measured?

The recent round-table discussions demonstrated that Australian accountants are certainly carefully considering the practicalities, before diving in. “We’re nervous about integrated reporting, but we don’t want to dismiss it,” says IPA representative Justin Reid, of GAAP Consulting. “Future-oriented information is hard to provide assurance on. It is not impossible, but it is problematic.”

Assurance practitioners, says Reid, will need to develop new frameworks in order to measure and analyse specific new capitals, such as relationships and manpower value.

“One solution might be a hybrid of reliance,” he says. “We might give assurance on the things we can [measure], the things that are factual or historical, and not on things we can’t measure.” Does it mean more work for accountants? Not according to Paul Druckman, who is leading the integrated reporting initiative, says Gleeson-White. And will fi nancial messages be lost among the other information? Absolutely not, she says. In fact, fi nancial information is still critical and the extra non-fi nancial information simply adds more depth to the picture. That is what integrated reporting offers, says Gleeson-White – clarity. “It is absolute common sense that corporations now have to start thinking of the way they impact the world,” she concludes. “They are the ones that change the world now, more than nations do. Nations are broke and confused and don’t know what’s going on, but corporations are flourishing.”

Last edited:

dibo

As long as we have a cabal of accountants who think that things like carbon pricing (i.e. pricing externalities) is trying to punish people rather than the most efficient and practical means to achieve good environmental outcomes, we might as well load all the accountants into a big rocket and fire it at the sun for the load of good they'll do us.

midfielder

2 + 2 = - √sum * ⅕∕℗

Where does carbon pricing etc come … besides the rocket would use to much carbon …

Also beware I still have my Mariners cape and an evil stare ...

dibo

Where does carbon pricing etc come

I remember you posted years ago about how you thought that carbon pricing was punitive (because a price signal is a negative incentive) and that instead we should be using 'positive' incentives (e.g. paying people to do the right thing).

As long as there are accountants that think that, the below won't work:

It also provides far clearer information for investors. “If you’re faced with a choice in investing in one of two beverage companies, one which clearly reports how it is caring for its water sources and another which doesn’t, you are likely to put your money into the company that is reporting on its most critical natural resource,” writes Gleeson-White. “Eventually, the value of integrated reporting will just become self-evident, I think.”

The accountant will tell you that it's unfair that we punish the careless company and instead we (through taxpayers) should be paying the good one.

midfielder

D

No one wants climate change controls more than me... my beef or say opinion is the answer lies in technology and offering incentives to develop a solution or solution. moreover taxing something normally results in the big players passing on the cost to the community ... Some economic people will say it sends a price single others will say people will curb their usage others will say it will make poor people poorer... You are from the school that thinks it send price signals ... I agree with you that it will send price signals however I don't see this a grand answer more a thread across a gaping would.

I accept we differ and not all accountants will agree with me neither...

We agree on the problem but differ on the solution.. huge debate on nuclear power recently once totally off the shelf ..

Maybe with my Mariners cape attached I should .... hhhmmmm not sure

VicMariner

Carbon reduction measures around the globe have been going on long enough now to have a body of information on what works best.
Some evidence based policy making would be nice for once.

We shouldn't have to guess. Look around, see what works and implement it.
Ideology be damned.

dibo

...which is why you see left-wing parties proposing market-based carbon pricing schemes (because they work).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred