• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australian Football Journalism & Culture

Forum Phoenix

Socceroos news: Ange Postecoglou delivers blunt message on where Australian football must now go
Exclusive: Postecoglou 1 on 1

SOCCEROOS boss Ange Postecoglou has called on the football community to focus more on what happens on the pitch in order to get to the next level.

Speaking from London, having travelled to Europe for logistic planning and scouting, Postecoglou has been spending some time before Christmas observing the culture of football discussion in England.

And he questioned Australian football’s “insecurity” in talking up its standard compared to Europe.

WATCH THE FULL INTERVIEW IN THE VIDEO AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE

“Some of the best games I’ll see on a weekly basis are in the A-League and I watch games from all over the world,” Postecoglou told Fox Sports News 500. “I’ve watched games here, not just from England but from all over Europe, and some of them have been pretty poor, not a great standard, so we stack up pretty well.

“The game is alright — we just don’t want to talk about it. And I don’t know if that’s because people are a little bit insecure about talking about the game and putting an opinion out there, saying ‘well if I put an opinion out there and it’s not good then I might get smashed’.”

Postecoglou added: “It’s easier to read a balance sheet or read or a web poll or see what the crowd is and talk about that for a week than it is to ‘read’ a football game, but that’s what we should be talking about. Ultimately, that’s what supporters want to talk about.”

Beginning early preparations for the Confederations Cup in 2017, the former Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Victory manager explained how his time in England observing football coverage has been eye opening. And he also had time to deliver special praise for the next level of coaches coming through the A-League and national team set ups.

“I think we’re embarking on a generation of the best coaches we’ve ever had,” he said, again reiterating the need to talk about what is happening on the field. “If you look at the guys like Popa (Tony Popovic), Kevin Muscat, John Aloisi, even some of the guys working alongside them (and) I’ve got Ante Milicic who is going to be an outstanding coach and Ross Aloisi, Jean Paul de Marigny, Scotty Miller.

“For these guys to continue to develop, they’ve got to be put under the scrutiny that you see managers here (in England) getting. We don’t have that.

“We just don’t have people talking about the game. Even for our players, I know we pitch our team of the week, but we don’t judge what’s happening on the pitch — who’s not doing well? Who’s struggling a bit? Who needs a bit of a prod?

Even the ones who are doing well. I said a couple of weeks ago that Aaron Mooy was the best player in the comp and I did that because I think he is, and also to put a bit of heat on him — to see how he reacts, and he’s doing well. (But) there are parts of his game he needs to improve, yet no one is talking about them.

“We’re saying we want him to play at the highest level (but) the reality is, when they get here (to the highest level, in England), that all happens. If you’re a manager and you lose a game, you have to answer some tough questions, whether you think they’re justified or not.

“If you’re a player, and you play badly you’ll get a 3/10 here — you’re not going to hide amongst the masses and you’ve got to react to that, you’ve got to deal with that. Being over here, just for myself, I had to listen and talk to people about football, which I don’t think we do enough of (in Australia).”

I thoroughly with Ange and really appreciate him weighing in. Drives me mental. The Roar stands out as somewhere that does quality football analysis, but I'm often struck by focus put on the wrong things - soap opera-esque rubbish, truly pathetic talking points and just such light weight puff pieces when it comes to analysis, the match summaries which are fine when you missed a game maybe, but boring as bat shit when you've just watched it if the writer doesn't invest some personality, opinion and analysis into it. And player analysis so rarely goes into anything meaningful or in depth or is just all hyperbole.

It's why Bozza has always stood out as a very likeable commentator I think, always had meaningful things to say about the players, coaches or games and never backward with an opinion. There is some good stuff out there, but it's definitely the minority imo.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-21_23-51-12.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 5

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Sigh. Even the so-called ' Secret Agent' is now calling CCM the worst-run club in the country in the newest facebook headline. Sick of the f'wits.

Forum Phoenix

That prick has clearly got it in for us. All his phone gate bullshit and constant talk of player unrest. Absolute talentless hack who has no other option but to gossip and agitate.

Look at what roar has just been through - the jets? Please? From con paying bonuses in mangoes to Tinkler? Perth breaches the cap?

Our problem has always been MONEY. So lets hope MC and co make us viable snd we rise to the top again as nothing would annoy these bastards more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred