• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Auschwitz "a type of beer"

Redline

from my other forum....

So I was just browsing one of the news sites that I use to get the news sometimes and I saw this in a little side column and found it disgraceful. It's about a survey conducted in the UK regarding Auschwitz.

From http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25162614-13762,00.html

News.com.au said:
Auschwitz 'a type of beer'
AAP
March 09, 2009 08:22pm

HUNDREDS of British school children believe Auschwitz is the name of a beer, religious festival or type of bread instead of the infamous Nazi death camp, a survey reveals.

More than 1000 high school students aged between 11 and 16 were asked what they knew about Auschwitz, where about 1.3 million people died during World War II.

Ten per cent said they were unsure, while eight per cent believed Auschwitz was a country bordering Germany, two per cent said it was a beer, another two per cent said a religious festival and one per cent said a type of bread.

Six in 10 students also had no idea about Hitler's Final Solution - a plan to exterminate all Jews - with a fifth saying they thought it was the name of peace talks to end the war.

Ninety seven per cent, however, were able to identify Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler from a photograph.

The London Jewish Cultural Centre, which commissioned the survey to mark the DVD release of WWII drama The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, said the results indicated that thousands of British students lacked an understanding of the Holocaust.

It estimated that among Britain's 4.5 million 11- to 16-year-olds, 90,000 believed Auschwitz was a drink and 45,000 thought it was a type of bread.

I find this totally appalling for a country which fought actively in the war and a westernised country which is supposed to be educated. What do they teach their children in the schools?! :?

Gotta say...considering Britain was the main participant in the war on 'our' side, and what the country went through themselves, let alone the (apparently) high Jewish population over there, and all the movies based on the war...I struggle to comprehend how BRITISH kids could not know this one...boggles the mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred