• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

All about the CCMFCOSC

Ozhammer

Hmmm, some folk seem to have no sense of fan community for some reason, why take the Mickey out of a kid’s pre-game event?

adz

Staff member
I don't think the kids event is the target, but the group organising it.
Does anyone know what the CCMFCOSC is for? What does it do? Why do we have it

adz

Staff member
Just some randoms using the word "official". Would think the only official supporters needed is the members.

Wombat

I don't expect a win, but I'm very interested to see how we play today.

Imagine if we did win though - if that happens, we have a realistic chance of not getting the spoon. Still an outside one, but it becomes realistic.

We have a fair chance of picking up points against WSW and MCY.

If the team is firing properly now, I'd say we actually have a pretty good chance of picking up more points than BR over the remainder of the season.

If we pick up our performance then it will go a long way towards buying a bit of credibility back with the fans for next season, especially if we sign on Staj. Not only that, but it may give us a bit more credibility with signing players too, if they start to see that we may finally have some hope rather than pretty words after a disaster season.

Surprised the club hasn't told them to stop calling themselves 'official' if they're not...

Pretty sure they are official club endorsed supporter group. They are well connected and well informed.

adz

Staff member
Probably should have taken this to another thread but just curious as to what they actually do. Other than being endorsed by the club and well connected... why would someone join? What do they actually do?

bikinigirl

Adz, move this to another thread if you wish … but note this is not a ‘response from the OSC’ merely my view in answer to queries.

I don't think the kids event is the target, but the group organising it.
Does anyone know what the CCMFCOSC is for? What does it do? Why do we have it

. alright, I’ll stick my neck out – although I do it with some reluctance … it is often too difficult to know whether these types of queries (and the only reason I am responding specifically to your post Adz is that I thought yours was more likely to be a serious query) because ‘baiting’ has been far too common:
  • Sometimes from people that do know better
  • Those that should know better but immaturity gets the better of them (or are encouraged by others)
  • Some that find sport in throwing shit or stirring the pot (regardless of their own personal contributions) and/or the harm it may do – especially for anyone who is not ‘in on the joke’
  • Others that follow the herd mentality – because they incorrectly think it is cool or funny

. the ‘Official’ part of the title is legitimate as it has been endorsed by, and is recognised by, the Mariners Football Club:
  • I don’t know if it still is – but was, for a long time, the only ‘official’ supporters club in the league
  • My understanding is that ‘active’ supporter groups struggle to be recognized officially – sometimes because of perception, but also because of their nature
. yes there is a membership fee ... but it is not huge and has not changed since inception (around 2012):
  • Just as, once upon a time, you could pay a Marinators membership
  • As an incorporated body there are compliance costs such as government fees and insurance^
  • Even though membership numbers have always been well into triple figures* compliance costs are significant (and fundraising usually goes to other areas)
^If you don’t value insurance or recognize the need then you have nothing to lose or no responsibilities
*And for those that think that is insignificant consider how many active members there are on this forum … or, say, active members of the ‘active’ support

. with regard to purpose, take a look at the OSC’s website https://www.ccmosc.com.au/about-us/history:

• There are some that continue to suggest that the OSC was set up for other reasons and they are often people that have never been involved with the OSC, sometimes members and occasionally people that wished to move the OSC agenda away from its original intent
  • It was formed before the current administration took over
. one of the things that really frustrates me is that the OSC was established to bring together all the fans and at inception was represented on the Committee by people from a broad spectrum of the membership including the YA (but unfortunately no direct representation from this forum). Although there was representation from various ‘quarters’ that has diminished over the years:
  • Some struggle with the formality of an incorporated body
  • Some struggle with the bureaucracy of dealing with the Club, stadium, FFA
  • Some have been insistent on focusing efforts on particularly areas (rather than the broader membership’s interest)
  • Some just get burnt out (as so often happens with ‘active’ support groups)
  • Before inception (and aside from this forum – which had related issues) the ‘known’ supporter groups were all based around active support but the instability (and infighting) through transitions from Marinators to Coastie Boys and Yellow Army# did nothing to bring fans together
  • The OSC was intended to be ‘non-denominational’ and this has been in evidence over the years with, for example, representatives from the YA and some podcast members~ on the Committee
# my awareness of this is typically as an outsider but paid-up member of the Marinators and active participant on this forum
~perhaps, pre-podcast but members nonetheless

. does the OSC achieve as much as they, their members or those that criticise from the sidelines wish? No, but:

• They do work hard to keep communications open with the Club
  • Drive for change to benefit the Club and the fans
  • Hold occasional events
  • Now and have always been wholly dependent on the voluntary efforts of a few who also have full-time work, families and other responsibilities to work around
. on the whole, if you want to contribute to the OSC please do so … if you don’t want to get involved – don’t. But if you want to just make fun of those trying to do something to bring back the ‘Community’ aspect of the Club with the support and input from their membership … please just keep your teasing to your own private WhatsApp cliques

adz

Staff member
Thanks @bikinigirl for taking the time to reply. I've been reluctant to make any comments on the OSC over the years because of the "baiting" aspect of it. Genuine questions need to be asked, though, and in the past I know these questions have been taken as personal insults rather than genuine enquiries. I think your post highlights that it is still an issue because you went straight for that aspect instead of talking about the benefits of OSC membership, purpose of the club and what they have achieved after being an entity for years.

I've got some more questions but hopefully a few others jump in, and it can stay a civil discussion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred