• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A truely Unique and very Australian Football Story

midfielder

I have copied two articles from the Blacktown Advocate .. the first front page and second back page over the last two issues of the paper..

It tells a remarkable story of a young refuge who has seen many awful sights.. from rags he is now playing for Panthrakikos F.C.... and the BBC are going to do a doco about him...

How Australian can you get a refuge from rags to riches ... and loves Australia and calls Australia home and very proudly so... now he gets no media from Australia and yet the BBC are going to do a doco on him...

Total disrespect from the media and maybe it is because they do not want a good refuge story with the boat load now ... and it's football ... can you imagine any story coming with a light year of this brave young mans story and without a local reporter would have gone unseen..

Bravo Blacktown Advocate and Bravo Khalil Popal I hope you play for the Socceroos...

Read and enjoy ...
Article last week front two pages

Europes first Afghani football star calls Blacktown home
sportSoccer05 Nov 09 @ 10:00am by Bryn Kay
Khalil Popal has packed his bags for an overseas football career.
EVEN as death knocked at his doorstep, Khalil Popal was the kid that dared to dream.

Now, through sheer perseverance, that dream has become a reality, and in time he may become Australias most recognisable athlete.

Popal, a Blacktown refugee, signed a soccer contract with Greek club Panthrakikos F.C. last month, making him the first-ever Afghan-born person to play first-division soccer in Europe.

But the 21-year-olds remarkable achievement has not come easily, living a life that has played out like a rags to riches fairytale.

Until he was 12, Popal lived in war-torn Kabul, Afghanistans capital, where the opposition werent wearing soccer outfits but rather military-style clothing, as the sounds of gunfire and bombs regularly shook the walls of his home.

``I didnt go outside much because it was too dangerous I didnt go to school because schools were always a target, he said.

``We (Popal and his two brothers) had no television and no radio to understand what soccer was, so we relied on what our father told us about the sport.

``Because we had no soccer ball and because we had to play inside, we would take a T-shirt, roll it up and tie it together tightly with string to make the ball, while we used shoes for the goals.

Fearing for their lives, the family fled to Australia in 2001, where Popal was confronted with something hed never seen before, something many Australians take for granted the beach.

The ``golden soil, as he called it, lured him into playing beach soccer.

Through hard work and the help of a year abroad playing field soccer in Brazil, Popal eventually made the Australian beach football team and he will travel to the Asian Beach Football Championships in Dubai this week.

From there the team has the chance to qualify for the world championships, also in Dubai a week later.

After making the national team in March, this meek-mannered soccer prodigy with dazzling feet and larger-than-life heart decided to send his resume out to a host of Europes outdoor soccer clubs.

In August, Popal was flown over to trial with Panthrakikoss second-division side, impressing club officials so much they immediately signed him up to the first-division team.

At the conclusion of his beach football duties, Popal will return to Greece, where he has media crews anxiously waiting to talk to him.

He also proudly revealed that the BBC will make a documentary on his life.

But while he may be the first Afghan-born player to play elite-level soccer in Europe, Popal said the land he calls home is Australia.

``I gave up my old life and call this my country now, he said.

``Its not possible for me to balance two balls on one foot, so its the green and gold who I am proud to represent.

Popal said he hopes to become an ambassador for other refugee children in Australia, proving that even the seemingly most outrageous of dreams can come true, but for now he will live his own dream.

``This is unbelievable since I was a boy I have wanted this to be my career, he said.

``When I was at school I didnt carry books in my bag, I always had a soccer ball instead.

``Soccer is my religion, but this is just the beginning.

Popal has signed a preliminary one-year contract with Panthrakikos, where he will get a car, accommodation and a six-figure salary.

http://blacktown-advocate.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/europes-first-afghani-football-star-calls-blacktown-home/
The se
Khalil and his Australian team go down in world qualifiers
sportSoccer11 Nov 09 @ 03:48pm
Blacktown's Khalil Popal represented Australia at the Beach Soccer World Cup 2009 Asian Qualifiers , in Dubai

The Qantas Australian Mens Beach Football Team have been defeated 4-2 by Oman in their final group match of the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2009 Asian Qualifiers in Dubai.
Khalil Popal was one of eight NSW based footballers in the team that was pushing for a semi-final spot in the in the world qualifiers, but the team got off to a bad start and never recovered.
They alloweed Oman to score the opening goal in the third minute of the match. Oman doubled their lead, with just seconds remaining in the first period when Nasser Al Mukhaini found the back of the net.

After a scoreless second period, the Australian side pulled a goal back early in the third period when Jonathan Cook scored to make it 2-1.

Oman extended their lead shortly after through Jalal and effectively sealed the match two minutes later when Nasser Al Mukhaini scored his second goal. Michael Matricciani scored with six minutes remaining to give Australia some hope of a fight-back, but unfortunately no additional goals were forthcoming and Oman held on to book a berth in the semi-finals.

Japan, Bahrain, Iran and Oman will now progress to the semi-finals stage which is later today, with the winners of the each semi-final match advancing to the final and will also qualify for the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2009.

The FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2009 will be played in Dubai from 16 to 22 November 2009 and involves 16 nations including United Arab Emirates, Portugal, Uruguay, Solomon Islands, Spain, Cte dIvoire, El Salvador, Russia, Costa Rica, Argentina, Italy, Brazil, Nigeria and Switzerland.

Brighty

Good on the kid for having those dreams come to reality. One can only imagine what he's seen and been through in his short life. Hope it all works out for him over in Greece and one day represents his new homeland!!!

Roy Law

The media aren't ignoring these stories: this is a similiar one from Monday's SMH by Mike Cocherill about a refugee kid called Julius Davies from Sierra Leone  http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/davies-incredible-journey-from-refugee-camps-to-top-of-the-world/2009/11/08/1257614959611.html

RADINHO

Roy Law said:
The media aren't ignoring these stories: this is a similiar one from Monday's SMH by Mike Cocherill about a refugee kid called Julius Davies from Sierra Leone  http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/davies-incredible-journey-from-refugee-camps-to-top-of-the-world/2009/11/08/1257614959611.html

Yes these stories are on websites and occasionally in Newspapers but I agree with Midfielder and for the BBC to make a doco about this refugee to Australia and our own didn't is disrespect and with Boat People being negative media, certain people dont want to shed this light of positives.

midfielder

Roy Law said:

OK you point to one example... in a past life I worked for Cumberland Newspapers who are part of the News machine ... my roll had a lot to do with systems design so I needed to know how it worked... At the time and still now News jurno's use the Parmatta Location as a sorta of drop in place and where they do a lot of their work...

The Blacktown Advocate is printed at Parrmatta along with many Newspapers so a story like this has been shown around News from the 5th of November ... no word to date...from Foxs ... nor the Terror or the Australian... nor from any media outlet that may have come across the story...

Maybe I am wrong but this is about the best story I have read in years... this kid not allowed to leave his house for fear of being blown up ... his family flee ( we have no idea how I guess space stopped the entire story) but they flee ... and find themselves in Australia ... He sings Australias praises loud and with pride...

He finds the beach plays beach football makes the Australia team then goes for a trial with a second div club and finishes up in one of Europes best clubs

It is to our shame the Poms have to pick this story up.

Like for f**k sake we have our army in his old country .. just for the PR alone no mate this is either one of two things a total stuff up or its not being reported

Thats why I say it is a Unique story a good news story like this is front page national newspaper and close to lead item in the news and a football story because it is huge news and its not reported Something smells about this to me

FFC Mariner

There must be a footballer or a leg spinner on that boat.

Maybe Krudd can offer Medicare, the dole, free housing etc to one of them if they can bowl a good googly or play in place of Lolman (that wont be hard though)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred