• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League out rates NRL and AFL in T.V ratings

nero

'Crowds are averaging almost 15,000. Television ratings are booming. The grand final will be broadcast live to England for the second year in a row. Last year it out-rated all the other big Australian events shown on British pay TV - including the rugby league and AFL grand finals. Around Asia, the A-League is making even bigger waves.'

[end Quote]

source [SMH]
http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/reality-continues-to-outdo-the-dream/2008/02/22/1203467387486.html

I can understand AFL being out rated in the U.K. but the NRL is the best Rugby League around LOL.

P

Pete

From what I observed in 1994 when I was over in Great Britain for a holiday, RL barely rates a mention, whereas Football is on 24/7.

At the same time I was holidaying, the ARL Kangaroos were conducting a Test series tour through GB and from past experience I knew this was getting wide TV coverage in NSW & Qld back in Australia.

In England, however, the tour barely got a mention at the tail of the Sports section of the news, and the only stories you saw on TV were the novelty factor of Ruuuugby Leeeeeague (said in a northern accent) coming to Wembley, and small highlights package of some of the 'Tests'. Blinked and you missed it.

My holiday in the UK did wake me up to what the wider world had to offer, and being a 'sokkah' player from way back, made me very pleased that the rest of the world didn't care too much of the other football code that had been hounding me since I was a kid.

I know that the RL over in the UK has had it's own revolution since then, with the introduction of their Super League and decent Pay TV rights and a lot of money to attract the beter players from that code. And while they can get decent crowds, they have a long long way to catch up to Football. My own belief is that they'll always be way behind Football and even Rugby Union in the UK.

So, if that sort of nonchalance about RL is still prevailing, it's no wonder that a decent HAL GF TV package would rate better than anything RL or AFL would offer. ;D

AFL would have to be a novelty piece for the Pay TV subscribers or expats from Australia.

Maybe someone who has been over to the UK more recently would care to comment about the Rugby League 'Super League' and any impact it may be making on the viewing audiences over there?

T

thanman

Pete said:
From what I observed in 1994 when I was over in Great Britain for a holiday, RL barely rates a mention, whereas Football is on 24/7.

At the same time I was holidaying, the ARL Kangaroos were conducting a Test series tour through GB and from past experience I knew this was getting wide TV coverage in NSW & Qld back in Australia.

In England, however, the tour barely got a mention at the tail of the Sports section of the news, and the only stories you saw on TV were the novelty factor of Ruuuugby Leeeeeague (said in a northern accent) coming to Wembley, and small highlights package of some of the 'Tests'. Blinked and you missed it.

My holiday in the UK did wake me up to what the wider world had to offer, and being a 'sokkah' player from way back, made me very pleased that the rest of the world didn't care too much of the other football code that had been hounding me since I was a kid.

I know that the RL over in the UK has had it's own revolution since then, with the introduction of their Super League and decent Pay TV rights and a lot of money to attract the beter players from that code. And while they can get decent crowds, they have a long long way to catch up to Football. My own belief is that they'll always be way behind Football and even Rugby Union in the UK.

So, if that sort of nonchalance about RL is still prevailing, it's no wonder that a decent HAL GF TV package would rate better than anything RL or AFL would offer. ;D

AFL would have to be a novelty piece for the Pay TV subscribers or expats from Australia.

Maybe someone who has been over to the UK more recently would care to comment about the Rugby League 'Super League' and any impact it may be making on the viewing audiences over there?

Isn't their super league basically union? because their rugby league is dead thanks to EPL :)

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
the only areas you would hear about an ARL tour in the U.K would be the longtime league strongholds...Leeds, Wigan, etc...BUT....the EPL would still be on first with more airtime

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred