• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A League Expansion

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Faaarrrkkk Mooooiiiii
Wolves bid ditched, the f**ktards will ditch Canberra next....bet they put in Campbelltown , which is what 25 mins from WSW “area” and 40 mins from Smurfdome
These f**kwits think were like London and can support a dozen teams in a capital city and surrounds

Josho Howe

I respect South Melbourne and its history but l detest its fanbase. Hope they don't get a licence just so it keeps pissing off their fans more.

style_cafe

Time to open thread again.
Rugby league is dying a slow death with all the head knocks and shoulder chargers and AFL isn`t that far behind.
With the A-league now at 12 teams with the inclusion of Western Utd and Macarthur and the Paramount/10 deal in the bag,who should be the next teams to be included?
Bearing in mind the second division is coming as well.

The obvious choices are Wollongong and Canberra.
Other considerations could be another Melbourne team, another Adelaide team,another Brisbane team,another Perth team.
Still further out and an expansion geographically Tassie, (one team one state), Toowoomba/Ipswich (Qld) (large country region that`s crying out for a sporting identity),Darwin (a huge immigrant population and were once in the Singapore 1st division), North Queensland (been there but time to explore again).
You thoughts... :popcorn:

pjennings

Canberra, Wolves next as they have ready to play stadiums - announce Hobart and second Brisbane/SQLD side at the same time with a definite timeline. Hobart stadium can part of the '2023 WWC legacy'.

At this stage I can see the 12 or 14 teams expanding their rosters to 30-35 (with a definite skew to youth) and having a hybrid NYL/Reserve League playing alongside the A League timeline

Last edited:

midfielder

Canberra, Wolves next as they have ready to play stadiums - announce Hobart and second Brisbane/SQLD side at the same time with a definite timeline. Hobart stadium can part of the '2023 WWC legacy'.
I like that... 4 new teams 16 teams two round 30 matches plus finals say 3 weeks, 5 weeks International breaks and 1 week FFA Cup...

Thats a 39 week season... love it...

Only issue is Hobart, AFL would throw everything at Tassie ... and Tassie pertaining to TV watchers is hard core rusted on AFL...

style_cafe

I like that... 4 new teams 16 teams two round 30 matches plus finals say 3 weeks, 5 weeks International breaks and 1 week FFA Cup...

Only issue is Hobart, AFL would throw everything at Tassie ... and Tassie pertaining to TV watchers is hard core rusted on AFL...
Tassie is crying out for a sports team of their own.
If football gets in first that would be a fantastic opportunity.
They can watch AFL on tv (shit game anyway)... :popcorn:

pjennings

AFL HQ wants a relocation or JV. Tas Govt wants 19th license. North Melboure and Hawthorn do not want a relocation or JV. 2023 WWC and AFL stalemate provides the opportunity to at least get the infrastructure even if it ends up being for a NSD team

marinermick

Expansion shouldn’t come from the top down (too many mistakes in the past) but rather from the bottom up.

Get a good viable second division going and then those clubs that prove themselves can come to the A-League through promotion. Perhaps the first two or four seasons have promotion but no relegation and expansion can go to fourteen or sixteen teams.

Then get a third division going through conferences and have an end of season play off for promotion into the second division.

pjennings

Expansion shouldn’t come from the top down (too many mistakes in the past) but rather from the bottom up.

Get a good viable second division going and then those clubs that prove themselves can come to the A-League through promotion. Perhaps the first two or four seasons have promotion but no relegation and expansion can go to fourteen or sixteen teams.

Then get a third division going through conferences and have an end of season play off for promotion into the second division.
This would also be my preferred option - but I'm yet to see that we will get a viable second division going especially given Covid considerations. I think we are more likely to expand in the short term than see a NSD.

turbo

For all the talk of an NSD it looks to be years away. I dont think it's controversial to say Canberra + 1 other tbd and help the league move towards playing each other twice in the meanwhile. From there they'll have some breathing space to look at NSD and promotion.

There's also some commercial issues like why the APL would willingly give a license for free to a team from the NSD which runs under FA not the APL. Unless there is a buy in cost it will be a big issue. It's not likely to go down well if a team within well serviced areas like Sydney or Melbourne wins promotion either. Lots to work through there.

Drew

I would expect Canberra and Wollongong to be the next expansion, at least they should be, I would love to see tassie get a team and I think we should go back to North Queensland again, would provide 16 teams which is the ideal number, then have other regions in a second division such as Darwin, another Perth another Adelaide Ipswich or GC, along with Sydney and Melbourne teams, with 16 teams each in 2 divisions would be perfect

style_cafe

I`d prefer to see the APL selecting teams from new regions.
If football is to become the dominant sport in this country geographic locations are very important.
Staying within the major cities is ok short term but we need to include all the States and Territories in the long term
The APL have to develop a strategy for the long term.
Wollongong and Canberra are basically good to go now. They have stadiums available and the infrastructure is already there. Give them the 2 year green light to organise and bring them in.

A second team for Brisbane and Adelaide could be given a 3 year plan and Tassie / Darwin could be given a 4 year plan.

The NSD could also be implemented (with a decent name) and promotion/relegation could be looked at further down the track if it`s warranted.

With all the new clubs (and those existing in the A-league) all clubs should have a Womens League and Youth league set-up.

The APL should also look to the sustainability of football as well, with a fund setup to finance the construction of licenced premises for each team as a revenue stream... :popcorn:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami