2019/20 Round 1

Discussion in 'Australian Football' started by Rowdy, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Adelaide United v Sydney FC at Coopers Stadium, 7.30pm is the 'first cab off the rank' for the 2018/20 A-League season, a repeat of last season of them clashing for a Rnd 1 game.

Head to head:
    Adelaide 17, Sydney 18, drawn 8

Last clash:
    Round 21, 2018-19
    @ Leichhardt Oval
    Sydney (2) v Adelaide (0)

Adelaide United squad:
    2.Michael MARRONE, 4.Ryan STRAIN, 5.Michaël MARIA, 6.Vince LIA, 7.Ryan KITTO, 8.Riley McGREE, 11.Kristian OPSETH, 14.George BLACKWOOD, 16.Nathan KONSTANDOPOULOS, 17.Nikola MILEUSNIĆ, 20.Paul IZZO (gk), 22.Michael JAKOBSEN (c), 23.Jordan ELSEY, 26.Ben HALLORAN, 27.Louis D’ARRIGO, 30.Isaac RICHARDS (gk), 31.Mirko BOLAND, 35.Al Hassan TOURE
    **two to be omitted**

Ins: nil
    Outs: nil
    Unavailable:
    1.Daniel MARGUŠ (international duty)

Sydney FC squad:
    4.Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alex BAUMJOHANN, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 7. Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 16. Joel KING, 17.Anthony CACERES, 18. Luke IVANOVIC, 20. Tom HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 21. Harry VAN DER SAAG, 24. Marco TILIO, 26. Luke BRATTAN, 27. Jordi SWIBEL, 40. Tristan PRENDERGAST (GK).

**two to be omitted**

Unavailable:
    1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk) (Socceroos duty),
    2. Patrick FLOTTMANN (Olyroos u23’s Duty),
    3.Ben WARLAND (ACL - indefinite),
    12. Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite),
    23.Rhyan GRANT (Socceroos Duty), 25. Ryan TEAGUE (Joey’s u17’s World Cup Duty).

2. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Despite losing Josh Brillante to The Plastics, Sydney have strengthened through acquiring an absolute SUPER-STRONG 4-man midfield this season;
    • Brandon O’Neill
    • Luke Brattan (moved from $ity)
    • Alex Baumjohann (from WSW)
    • Milos Ninkovic

Add to that, Anthony Caceres& Paulo Retre on the bench, BUT with Ryhan Grant out with the Socceroo's - could see Bimby starting Retre in the RB role.

Brattan NOT wanted by $ity has a point to prove.

Ninko, who wasnt as impressive as the season before (where he was on :fireup:) well may re-ignite his form with the new faces and combinations.

I think Baumjohann will knuckle down and show more quality than what he did at WSW, he just didnt look to be happy playing there last season.

Throw in McGowan next to Wilko at CB and they'll be tough to break down as well.

Think Sydney will be too strong for Adelaide, unless the nerves get the better of Tinker-Belle Heward on debut in goals for Sydney FC.

24 Hours & counting ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FFC Mariner

FFC Mariner Well-Known Member

Fancy Adelaide here

4. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

I’ll go Sydney on that one. Adelaide haven’t been scoring a lot of goals outside of thrashing NPL teams and Troisi is a very late acquisition. Sydney have enough goal scoring potential that Adelaide might need 3 to win it and I don’t see that happening.

5. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

Jury out on Baumjohann. Has talent but is lazy and pea-hearted on last years display......see Caceras for reference. Brattan i like. Flawed at times but very decent player. O'Neill and Ninko very solid.......its a good very good midfield if if Baum can lift his workrate.

6. Forum Phoenix

Forum Phoenix Well-Known Member

Weren’t the ramble boys doing a tipping comp? Is that somewhere I don’t know?

Otherwise should have had a ccmfans one.

I’m tipping Sydney over AU.

7. adz

adz Moderator Staff Member

I just changed the title so this one doesn't get out of hand :D

8. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

7 man bench is in effect from round 1 if there's 3 or more U23s in the squad..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Adz, have absolutely no clue as to WHY? you'd think it needed to be changed, or how exactly 'it could get out of hand ' ???

We've had the exact same thread EVERY SEASON !!
    Screenshot_2019-10-11-12-44-39-1.png Screenshot_2019-10-11-12-44-56-1.png Screenshot_2019-10-11-12-45-02-1.png People watch a game, other than a Mariners game, then come in here and discuss it.
    - which is why its in here in the Australian Football Board & not on the CCM Board.

Some years its 10 pages, some 20.
    Can't fathom to think how it could 'get out of hand' :confused:

Far better than having 29 seperate threads for a season:
    Rnd 1-2-3-4 ..-28-29.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  10. adz

Ooh! I am looking at moving away from creating long-running threads as we normally do, with maybe dozens of pages and hundreds of posts, so this...

is actually what I want to move towards.
    I'll explain reasoning a bit later when I get a few minutes.

11. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Ok

12. adz

• Like Like x 1
  13. sydmariner

sydmariner Well-Known Member

Besart Berisha has scored Western United’s 1st ever goal.

14. sydmariner

btw kwabena is also on the bench for United lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Pirate Pete

Pirate Pete Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw that. I didn't know he was there. I was looking to see if Aspro made the bench.

16. marinermick

marinermick Well-Known Member

Talay, another coach in the Okon mold of our rubbish cirriculum. All passing and no penetration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. FFC Mariner

Wellington are shit, at least we wont be last with them in the comp

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MagpieMariner

MagpieMariner Well-Known Member

Well, we're not the only team without a striker. 'Nix haven't got one either.

19. sydmariner

Apparently he’s an injury replacement.

20. FFC Mariner

Nix will get the spoon - we wont go close
    Club needs to be closed down - Australian football owes them nothing

• Agree Agree x 1