• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2018 world cup qualifiers

Rowdy

Why Syria's Cinderella story may not be what it seems:

gettyimages-842994376_0.jpg

The remarkable exploits of Syria’s national team that will shortly pit their wits against Australia in a 2018 FIFA World Cup playoff have been described as the stuff of fairy tales.

As a brutal civil war rages in their country, a bunch of ambitious footballers are two steps away from playing in the game’s biggest tournament. Surely this must be the ultimate feelgood story if ever there was one?

The Syrians and Socceroos finished third in their respective qualifying groups and will now meet over two legs next month for the right to face the fourth-placed team from CONCACAF with a spot at Russia 2018 up for grabs.

Many fans have drawn a parallel between the 'Syrian Cinderellas' and the Iraq team that rewrote the history books of football in the region by winning the 2007 AFC Asian Cup while their war-ravaged country was a complete shambles.

The Iraqis brought joy to an entire nation and became national heroes but the Syrians are unlikely to attain that status because there appears to be more to the team than meets the eye.

You see, while coach Jorvan Vieira’s Iraqis savoured the finest hour in their football history after a 1-0 victory over Saudi Arabia in Jakarta with no assistance whatsoever from their government - simply because there was none at the time - this Syrian team appear to be a different story altogether.

There's a growing view that this Syrian side seeking a spot in Russia appear to be fighting for the country’s despised president Bashar al-Assad.

So much so that they have been dubbed "The Dictator’s Team” and are seen by many as a propaganda machine for a man who at the moment is considered the world’s most brutal dictator.

“We are proud of our president and proud of what he has achieved,” Syrian Football Association (SFA) vice-president Fadi Dabbas told ESPN.

Syria’s national coach from 2015 to 2016, Fajer Ebrahim, even described Assad as “the best man in the world”.

Syria’s authoritarian president has bombed his own people for years in a merciless attempt to retain his power and authority.

He is widely held responsible for the deaths of almost half a million people in his manic drive to win a civil war that started in 2011 and that has spawned a massive refugee crisis.

There are unconfirmed reports that he has tortured and killed many Syrian footballers who were deemed to be ‘enemies of the state’.

There are also suggestions - that have been refuted by the SFA - that some players were forced to turn up for their country in this World Cup campaign under threat of retribution.

Captain Firas al-Khatib, for example, is back in the side after vowing never to play for Syria again as long as Assad was in power. Who knows what made him change his mind?

Assad has reportedly given the Syrian team all the support they need, except the chance to play their home games on familiar territory because of the horrific violence across the whole country.

The ‘Qasioun Eagles’ have had to host the last five World Cup qualifiers in Malaysia.

So it appears Syria may have been engaging in a bit of gamesmanship to keep the Australians in the dark by suggesting other venues in the Middle East for their home game on October 5.

It was always going to be Malaysia since it appears it is the only country that would host the Syrians. The match will take place in Malacca, which is a two-hour drive south from Kuala Lumpur.

When the Syrians come to Sydney for the return on October 10, perhaps we should think twice before drawing comparisons with the Iraq team that prevailed in 2007 and the Palestine side that featured in the 2015 Asian Cup in Australia.

Politics and sport are not supposed to mix but they do, unfortunately.

And I am not going to denounce this Syrian team because of where they come from and, more importantly, because of the actions at a higher level of which they have no control.

However, this Syrian side may have lost some sympathy generated by their exploits on the field after publicly (if not privately) throwing their support behind a despised despot.

Some people are beginning to see them not as an intrepid and ambitious football team that are dreaming of glory but a sinister propaganda tool of a hated tyrant.

This Syrian football story just may not be the fairy tale it appears to be.

Rowdy

Could we see the likes of Syria’s Captain, Firas al-Khatib & other Syrian players ?? do a :
'2007 - Ali Abbas'
- who did a 'runner' in Gosford after playing for Iraq in their Olympic Qualifier at CCS, he then sought political asylum from the Australian Government & ultimately gained Australian Citizenship.

You'd think the fear of being tortured & killed by the Assad regime for not wanting to play for a Syria under his control would be more than enough to see one or two to give it some thought it at least ?
- considering Abbas' successfully pulling off his -runner' & still being considered/selected/& ultimately playing for Iraq after doing so.

Rowdy

Postecoglou names huge wildcard in Socceroos 30-man squad:

ange_postcoglou_13.jpg

Wildcard Nikita Rukavytsya is a shock inclusion in the Socceroos preliminary 30-man squad with coach Ange Postecoglou recalling the attacker for Australia’s do-or-die World Cup qualifiers against Syria next month.

The 30-year-old has 13 Socceroos caps to his name, with his last appearance coming in 2013 in a friendly against Canada.

Currently plying his has trade with Israeli club with Maccabi Haifa, Rukavytsya has scored four goals in seven appearances in both league and cup competitions this season.

Captain Mile Jedinak has also been named to make his long-awaited return for the Socceroos in home and away play-off clashes against Syria.

The Socceroos face Syria in Malaysia on October 5, then again in Sydney on October 10, and must win the two-legged clash to keep their Russia 2018 hopes alive.

The 30-man preliminary squad, named on Tuesday, includes all of the players who were originally named for the recent clashes against Japan and Thailand - bar defender Matthew Spiranovic, who has been cut.

The other additions to the preliminary squad include Aziz Behich, Mark Birighitti, Craig Goodwin, James Jeggo, Matthew Jurman and Josh Risdon.

“There is a short turnaround from the last matches so we are fully focused on these upcoming fixtures against Syria,” Postecoglou said.

“The players that we have selected for these crucial matches all have the benefit of several club matches under their belts over the past few weeks, and I am confident whichever 23 players we settle on will be able to do the job next month.

“Now that the match venues have been confirmed, we will prepare for our fixtures against Syria just like every other international opposition we faced throughout this campaign."

Behich was not part of Postecoglou's last squad despite some strong showings at the Confederations Cup with Brad Smith controversially handed a start against the Samurai Blue.

However, he has been rewarded for his good form at club level along with Goodwin, Jeggo and Birighitti, who are all playing regularly in Europe.

South Korea-based Jurman was named in Australia's last extended squad and adds depth to the defensive ranks while Risdon, who recently moved from Perth Glory to the Western Sydney Wanderers, has been on the fringes of national team selection for some time.

Postecoglou will trim the squad back to 23 players next week.

FULL 30-MAN SQUAD:
Screenshot_2017-09-19-12-56-43-1.png
Screenshot_2017-09-19-12-56-59-1.png
Screenshot_2017-09-19-12-57-08-1.png

Last edited:

scottmac

Suspended
Final squad is in with Behich and Risdon. Back to the back 4.
Plating 433 with Kruse and Leckie given attacking freedom

Rowdy

Cant see Rogic getting 'on the ball' & in space with that set-up, without there being a hell'uva lot of rotations going on.

The middle 3 of the 433 formations are generally comprised of 1 DM in the middle flanked by x2 attack minded Midfielders who can defend as well as push forward.
- will that be Mooy or Milligan ??
- & if Milligan, than that would leave Mooy to one side Rogic to the other.

Risdon/Behich would be primarily defensively bound at both L&RB.

If Ange is definitely going with a back 4, I'd rather see him play:

4-1-3-2
Risdon/Sainsbury/Milligan/Goodwin
Mooy
Leckie/Rogic/Kruse
McLaren & Juric

or a 4-1-4-1.
Risdon/Sainsbury/Milligan/Goodwin
Mooy
Leckie/Rogic/Irvine/Kruse
Juric or McLaren

I've ony included Leckie & Kruse because there's NO WAY IN HELL Postecoglou WONT start them. :rolleyes:

Leckie, yeah, his recent Bundesliga form warrants it as he's banging them in.

Kruse, errr not so sure.
- He's not as solid defensively as say Irvine, who I think offers just as much as Kruse going forward BUT much 'steelier' in defense than the diminutive Kruse.

(Edit: Craig Goodwin @ LB; didnt realise he was in the 23 - instead of Behich)

Last edited:

Big Al

Go back to the Asian cup formation please

Milligan CB or DM?

Ryan
Degenek Milligan Sainsbury Behich
Mooy Rogic and Lunogo?
Leckie Kruse Juric

Cahill Irvine off the bench

Rowdy

Arnold open to return as Socceroos coach:

graham_arnold_5.jpg

Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold is open to succeeding Ange Postecoglou as Socceroos boss, but only under a strict set of circumstances.

A path remains for Arnold, the reigning A-League championship winner, to assume control of the national team.

The 54-year-old spent a decade involved with the Socceroos, acting as an assistant coach to Frank Farina, Guus Hiddink and Pim Verbeek.

He was also briefly head coach in 2007, leading Australia to an underwhelming quarter-final finish at the Asian Cup after Hiddink's departure.

Arnold has since risen to become the A-League's pre-eminent coach, demonstrated by the Sky Blues' record points haul and double-winning 2016-17 campaign.

It means he is in the frame to return to the role a decade on, as a more experienced and wiser candidate, but it will only transpire should certain events come to pass.

Firstly, the Socceroos would have to qualify for the World Cup.

Arnold wouldn't consider leaving Sydney FC midway through a campaign, and if Australia fails to reach the 2018 tournament, FFA are likely to consider a foreign, ship-steadying, boss.

Secondly - and most obviously - FFA must want him.

Arnold is well thought of by head office, with his efforts in 2007 considered ancient history.

Thirdly, he needs to repeat his club success this season.

Should the Sky Blues become the first club to defend their A-League premiership, Arnold's candidacy for the Socceroos job will be impeccable.

Finally, Sydney FC would have to allow it.

Arnold is contracted until the 2018-19 season and wouldn't walk away without their blessing.

Should those circumstances arise, Arnold says he would be a candidate.

"I'm not saying I wouldn't want the national team job; if my country calls, of course I would," he said.

Postecoglou has made clear he won't stay after this World Cup cycle.

That means leaving the job either after next year's tournament or sooner, should the Socceroos fail to beat Syria or their North/Central American opponents in play-offs this month and next.

Missing the World Cup remains a concerning possibility, but Arnold has been a vociferous supporter of Postecoglou's tenure.

Arnold backed Postecoglou to reach Russia and to set up his successor for future success.

"People were calling for rejuvenation of the squad when Ange took over," he said.

"He did it and he's continued to do it. In four years the squad will be fantastic.

"Look at the golden generation - which I called it that for the first time in 2006 - they were all 28, 29, 30 at the World Cup in 2006.

"We now have players that are 23, 24 and they're coming through. They're probably, at this moment, not in their peak years.

"Harry Kewell, John Aloisi, Mark Bresciano and others ... when we played Uruguay in 2001 they didn't have the experience.

"When we got to 2006 they did and could handle any occasion.

"These guys now, they are the future generation. I know they will qualify.

"These extra few games are going to bring the team together all the better."

pjennings

I thought Arnie was the right one to take over from Holger. I suspect we would have had a better World Cup with him in charge. Arnie can come in and quickly come in and quickly get a team playing a style of play that is efficient, if not always exciting. Ange would have been better coming in after Arnie - building a solid base.

We should also have the best possible manager for the national team. That does not necessarily mean Australian. My hope is that we qualify and Ange hasn't queered the pitch for Aussie coaches to follow.

Big Al

I thought Arnie was the right one to take over from Holger. I suspect we would have had a better World Cup with him in charge. Arnie can come in and quickly come in and quickly get a team playing a style of play that is efficient, if not always exciting. Ange would have been better coming in after Arnie - building a solid base.

We should also have the best possible manager for the national team. That does not necessarily mean Australian. My hope is that we qualify and Ange hasn't queered the pitch for Aussie coaches to follow.
Ange was doing very well until after the Asian Cup. Not sure what went wrong. Playing players who weren't playing for clubs and injuries didn't help.

Arnie i feel would have been stronger in the later qualification stage. He would have prioritised the defence and not have been afraid of using Wilko ( why Ange stopped using him is bewildering). We would have got that point we needed with Arnie IMO.

I also think Arnie would be good for the next campaign. We need more of the 20-24yr olds to press on and i think he gets bored after achievement. He got bored here and now seems bored at SFC.

He also seems like his attempt at overseas coaching has scared him off and unlike Popa may have jumped at any offer instead of a good one and language and politics got him and he has been put off trying again

Also Arnie has been brought up in the international seen and knows what it takes.

Insertnamehere

4231 for me is our best tactic. 4123 in attack, 451 in defence. All moot though because Ange is an arrogant prat that won't accept his team has played 45 good mins using this 343/3223/541 tactic.
Ryan
Risdon/Sains/Wright/Behich (Goodwin)
Mooy/Millsy
Kruse Rogic Leckie
Juric

scottmac

Suspended
I think ange has completely lost it. Behich and Risdon as wing backs and leckie Kruse in for rogic and Irvine?
I'm sure we'll win but this team in that formation? f**k me.

Rowdy

I think ange has completely lost it. Behich and Risdon as wing backs and leckie Kruse in for rogic and Irvine?
I'm sure we'll win but this team in that formation? f**k me.
I pray NOT but this could just as easily go to shit as well.

Rowdy

Pitch looks like they contracted Bunnings Hardware to lay their rubber backed 'fake grass'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred