• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

19/20 Rd 4

turbo

Millar just fell off marking Ninko and conceded a goal then turned around and scored a header off a free kick. Sydney look dominant though.

Reactions: adz

MagpieMariner

We're rooted. KGJ not on VAR for this game, he's on for ours. What's the record for the number of VAR pens given against a side in one match?

MagpieMariner

Slater reckons injury time very skinny as well. Looks like 'Nux will be getting the shafting this year, hopefully not us as well.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

WP cop an atrocious decision. The handball penalty - look, from the angle, I can understand why the ref through it hit the hand. It's a problem with handball - sometimes the angle is deceiving. But VAR didn't overrule even though it was clear there was no contact.
VAR bias in favour of the bigger club in the match is at it's most blatant than ever this season, and that's saying something.
Loved seeing WU get up over MV though - MV being my 2nd most hated club, and really that's just because their fans are so f**king arrogant. Sick of their superiority complex.

Tevor

Interesting 4 rounds so far and you don't win premierships in the first month however some surprises for table positions. Funny enough I watched all the City v Nux game and all game the Nux were getting the 50/50 calls IMO especially Piscopo who is dirty and a major diver. The ball hit Fenton's arm after his chest and he didn't play at with his chest therefore hand ball, I'm ok with it and didn't feel it was a clear and obvious error by the Ref and will be another one where everybody will have an opinion. Nux didn't deserve anything out of that game as their defending was rubbish and they better hope Hooper can score hat tricks as they will let plenty in the other end this season and probably have the worst looking defence in the comp (missing Durante massively). Roar should've put away WSW, O'Shea looks to be a good player and plenty of teams struggling to consistently score at the moment and this will not last for ever.

Very even comp and I like that every game you watch at the moment everyone has the talent to win on their day.

turbo

If 'Nux defenders give our attackers the same room they gave Galloway for his goal then we will score a motza.
We dont play Wellington until January (round 13). By then they could have settled or totally imploded hard to tell which at the moment.

all game the Nux were getting the 50/50 calls IMO especially Piscopo who is dirty and a major diver. The ball hit Fenton's arm after his chest and he didn't play at with his chest therefore hand ball, I'm ok with it and didn't feel it was a clear and obvious error by the Ref and will be another one where everybody will have an opinion

My understanding with the new rule is if doesnt count if its off your body on to your arm. From: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf
The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger

To me it looked like a very rough call especially when you saw the one Baccus and Broxham got away with last week. City were the better team but VAR cost the Nix a point. I noticed how reluctant the ref was to give them any well deserved yellows but then they go and call that. Strange.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

We dont play Wellington until January (round 13). By then they could have settled or totally imploded hard to tell which at the moment.

My understanding with the new rule is if doesnt count if its off your body on to your arm. From: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf
The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger

To me it looked like a very rough call especially when you saw the one Baccus and Broxham got away with last week. City were the better team but VAR cost the Nix a point. I noticed how reluctant the ref was to give them any well deserved yellows but then they go and call that. Strange.

but the 'above situations' include
It is usually an offence if a player:

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:

• the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
So, it is usually not an offence if a player deflects the ball onto their arm unless the arm makes the body unnaturally bigger. Usually.
Seriously, what the heck does that mean? Given that it's not usually an offence to handle it when the arm is close to the body and doesn't make it bigger, what's with all these clauses saying 'it probably isn't an offence unless the arm makes the body bigger'? At best it's confusingly redundant - at worst it's contradictory.

Unsurprisingly IFAB have turned the handball law into an absolute mess in their attempts to 'fix' it. I honestly have no idea what is or isn't a foul anymore - makes me glad I'm not refereeing any more and don't have to deal with that shit. If it hit his hand is it a foul? Depends how you read the laws.

You're right that the problem is the inconsistency. The one we gave away against WSW - well, if we take later decisions, then our is clearly the wrong call. Who knows.

Personally, I see no evidence that it even touched the arm.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well, Turbo and Cap'n, thanks for the explanation but KGJ is using his own amended set of rules his grandad wrote out for him for his 5th birthday...so depending on his sportsTab we're all stuffed (except for victory and drive-bys)

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Well, Turbo and Cap'n, thanks for the explanation but KGJ is using his own amended set of rules his grandad wrote out for him for his 5th birthday...so depending on his sportsTab we're all stuffed (except for victory and drive-bys)
KGJ is the only official who I genuinely wonder if there's corruption. His decision making is so incredibly bad, every single week, that him betting on the match is the only logical explanation.

MV suffered a handball penalty, but that one is clear as day - and it has nothing to do with the new laws. Defender watched the ball come in from a corner, wasn't deflected off anybody, so from 30 yards away he just misjudged it and it struck his hand. That's an easy foul.

That mess with the VAR drawing the lines in the wrong spot to waste 5 minutes trying to work out if it was a goal in that other game, only for the ref to determine it wasn't despite the lines indicating it was.....farcical. I mean, resolution is so poor that I'm happy with not using VAR there, but don't even start the process of playing around with lines - and if you're going to use lines, at least put them in the correct place!!!
Of course, that then raises serious questions as to why the FFA haven't put a stop to it. That then implies corruption by the FFA. See what VAR does?
https://www.a-league.com.au/video/match-highlights-newcastle-jets-v-perth-glory-hyundai-a-league

Holy crap, I've just watched Ridenton's flying knee (36minutes in for the Jets-Perth game - if anybody has access to a replay it's well worth checking out) - that not being a red card would have to be one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. How the hell did VAR not intervene? It's a disgusting challenge.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

To be fair to KGJ, I dont think he is corrupt he is simply just not up to it. Saw him at Pluim doing NPL (for fitness?) and he was a joke. Bloke is always in the wrong position and makes calls from what he can see

Tevor

KGJ is the only official who I genuinely wonder if there's corruption. His decision making is so incredibly bad, every single week, that him betting on the match is the only logical explanation.

MV suffered a handball penalty, but that one is clear as day - and it has nothing to do with the new laws. Defender watched the ball come in from a corner, wasn't deflected off anybody, so from 30 yards away he just misjudged it and it struck his hand. That's an easy foul.

That mess with the VAR drawing the lines in the wrong spot to waste 5 minutes trying to work out if it was a goal in that other game, only for the ref to determine it wasn't despite the lines indicating it was.....farcical. I mean, resolution is so poor that I'm happy with not using VAR there, but don't even start the process of playing around with lines - and if you're going to use lines, at least put them in the correct place!!!
Of course, that then raises serious questions as to why the FFA haven't put a stop to it. That then implies corruption by the FFA. See what VAR does?
https://www.a-league.com.au/video/match-highlights-newcastle-jets-v-perth-glory-hyundai-a-league

Holy crap, I've just watched Ridenton's flying knee (36minutes in for the Jets-Perth game - if anybody has access to a replay it's well worth checking out) - that not being a red card would have to be one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. How the hell did VAR not intervene? It's a disgusting challenge.
Agree on the handball, the problem the League has at the moment are the clear inconsistencies from week to week which they have created on their own and allow this open criticism from the players/commentators/fans. Ola was stating in the referee briefing's what they said has been different to what they are implementing. I feel his frustrations as you just have no idea which way they are going to go on any hand ball decision, no wonder the players are calling anything close to a handball as it is 50/50 you might get something out of it. It all started with the diabolical decision against Fox in round 1.

Time for the new HAL board to stand up and fix this problem, unfortunately that will take them coming out saying they got some decisions wrong in the first place. Unfortunately I don't think they have that ability to criticise themselves yet or in the future. Stop the BS excuses as to why their decisions where correct and just fix the problem with some consistent decisions.

turbo

I keep coming back to the refereeing leadership when I look at all the inconsistencies. At a bare minimum the full time refs should be on the same page with similar standards but they aren’t. That’s on the head of referees to clearly set expectations about this is what we’re being tough on, this and that we’re willing to relax on for the sake of a more flowing game. When the players know what they can play to we’ll see less falling over in a stiff breeze, less controversy and more consistency.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I keep coming back to the refereeing leadership when I look at all the inconsistencies. At a bare minimum the full time refs should be on the same page with similar standards but they aren’t. That’s on the head of referees to clearly set expectations about this is what we’re being tough on, this and that we’re willing to relax on for the sake of a more flowing game. When the players know what they can play to we’ll see less falling over in a stiff breeze, less controversy and more consistency.
Agree completely. When the problems are across the board, it's clearly an issue with leadership, their coaching and assessing.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Yeah yeah, it was a handball by City so Brissy could get their fourth BUT fark moi , I’d put my hand up to not get a busted schnozz as well .....also well done Roar

turbo

Yeah yeah, it was a handball by City so Brissy could get their fourth BUT fark moi , I’d put my hand up to not get a busted schnozz as well .....also well done Roar
It makes a mockery of the Broxham handball a few weeks back against Roar but it’s consistent with the one we copped in round 1. As I’ve said previously a harsh but consistently applied rule is tolerable, having a few questionable exceptions like Baccus and Broxham’s efforts undermines that and creates confusion. Not to mention looking totally rigged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb