• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

It's interesting to see how despondent and pessimistic this forum has become over the last 2 weeks.
That's an observation; not a criticism. I'm also worry about getting the spoon again.

But what I can't quite put my finger on is how we went from playing so well in the first few weeks to so badly after that. Given we're changing our strategies up, surely saying 'other teams have figured out how to play us' is an over simplification. Or perhaps it isn't.

And the problem is......the negativity will creep in to the players, and Staj will lose the changing room (if he hasn't already) if a) things don't change soon and/or b) other teams start announcing acquiring our key players for next season. Same thing - every single season we all sing the praises of the team in the first few weeks, then we get found out, then the players just give up. And somehow we let go the handful of players who don't give up.

So what's changed after the first few weeks? And what needs to change next week? Because another loss will crush this team, I fear.

Given that psychology and negativity was always going to be a huge challenge, i'm surprised the club hasn't engaged in a professional mindfulness, like Hawthorn Hawks did the year they won the premiership. Given our situation makes it easy to get inside our heads and psych ourselves out, I'd think that sort of program would be a no-brainer for this club.

marinermick

It's interesting to see how despondent and pessimistic this forum has become over the last 2 weeks.
That's an observation; not a criticism. I'm also worry about getting the spoon again.

But what I can't quite put my finger on is how we went from playing so well in the first few weeks to so badly after that. Given we're changing our strategies up, surely saying 'other teams have figured out how to play us' is an over simplification. Or perhaps it isn't.

And the problem is......the negativity will creep in to the players, and Staj will lose the changing room (if he hasn't already) if a) things don't change soon and/or b) other teams start announcing acquiring our key players for next season. Same thing - every single season we all sing the praises of the team in the first few weeks, then we get found out, then the players just give up. And somehow we let go the handful of players who don't give up.

So what's changed after the first few weeks? And what needs to change next week? Because another loss will crush this team, I fear.

Given that psychology and negativity was always going to be a huge challenge, i'm surprised the club hasn't engaged in a professional mindfulness, like Hawthorn Hawks did the year they won the premiership. Given our situation makes it easy to get inside our heads and psych ourselves out, I'd think that sort of program would be a no-brainer for this club.

Kale Marrow had some stats on Twitter showing we have been a little lucky. Teams have missed some golden opportunities against us (Our two wins we were well and truly outplayed) and we also have had Birraz saving our arse.

Maybe Staj is changing things too much. Also we have had Djuric on the bench the last two games.

turbo

Because another loss will crush this team, I fear.
Bye in to Sydney and Adelaide, I hope we’re not that fragile. Obviously hope we can pull some points out of that but a loss in at least one seems probable. IMO the way we play is more important than the points we gain from those two. We need decent performances the players can be proud of. If you get beaten by a worldie it’s different to being dominated and conceding shit goals. Way too early to be giving up but we do need to get back to our attacking ways from earlier in the season

MagpieMariner

I think a big problem is our current inability to score, which puts more pressure on the defence. A couple or three early puts the pressure on the other mob, who then have to play catch-up. Playing catch-up often cracks you wide open.

Ads

There is only 3 points separating 11th & 4th,
so I think there would still be some hope in the camp however if we don’t pick up a point against Sydney that might be the start of a downhill slide.
Especially if it does coincide with transfer rumours and change room whispers.

And as mentioned the first couple of weeks we had courage and confidence even though were not playing pretty football.
And despite still putting in the hards yards we are ‘tentative’, non decisive and slow to move the ball.
Watching Perth and City tonight the players just take off with the ball.

I think the negativity comes from the obvious difference that can be seen between the quality and style,
as well as the embedded fear of teams scoring against us all the time especially loosing the lead, set pieces, pens, etc.

Hopefully with the bye can regroup, have all players on deck and if we can get a win that is not a win where we are hanging on for dear life it would get that confidence back to touch and move the ball more smoothly.

Just 1 quality win!!! Please.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I think a big problem is our current inability to score, which puts more pressure on the defence. A couple or three early puts the pressure on the other mob, who then have to play catch-up. Playing catch-up often cracks you wide open.
to be fair, scoring first usually leaves us wide open :piralaugh::piralaugh:

Pity we couldn't have snagged Fallingoverrolli. I bet he enjoyed his goal tonight.
i still have too much pride in the club than to cheer on that cheating c**t

Forum Phoenix

I don't blame him. I don't like it. In fact I hate players going down easy or diving, but different countries have very different cultural football norms and so I'm not surprised he plays exactly how he does.

A striker of his quality would be a huge asset to us.

turbo

I don't blame him. I don't like it. In fact I hate players going down easy or diving, but different countries have very different cultural football norms and so I'm not surprised he plays exactly how he does.

A striker of his quality would be a huge asset to us.

Matty does the same thing looking for penalties after minor contact but he doesn’t get them because it looks obvious.

Diving or dropping like a sack of bricks is a problem with how the rules are enforced. Players know they can force a decision and they know if they take a shot after being fouled and miss they won’t get the penalty. It won’t go anywhere until players are rewarded for staying on their feet and trying to play on.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Matty does the same thing looking for penalties after minor contact but he doesn’t get them because it looks obvious.

Diving or dropping like a sack of bricks is a problem with how the rules are enforced. Players know they can force a decision and they know if they take a shot after being fouled and miss they won’t get the penalty. It won’t go anywhere until players are rewarded for staying on their feet and trying to play on.
I initially posted a bit of a longer response, but I deleted it as we're probably getting off topic here :)

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

Don't underestimate the impact mentally of knowing that you are in a team that can't score goals.
It's like having a shit keeper behind you.
Our players know that if the opposition score, we won't win.
If you go one up somehow you drop that bit deeper as you know you won't get a 2nd

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Don't underestimate the impact mentally of knowing that you are in a team that can't score goals.
If you go one up somehow you drop that bit deeper as you know you won't get a 2nd
Agree completely. We talked about this even before the season - we're a team that might have 1 goal a game, but where that's coming from is unpredictable. We don't even really have 2 goals in us a game.
And we don't have a 'clean sheet' backline.

So, that leaves us in a position where, no matter how 'well' we play, we still shouldn't expect to win games.

Forum Phoenix

Great point,

Tim

Are we in a better position than this time last year? Simple question because in my books any reasonable improvement on last season is a step forward in the re-build of the club irrespective of our position on the ladder. Two wins in seven games is a vast improvement on last season. Thoughts?

Further, there have been some comments re Staj “losing the dressing room” on a few of these posts. Is this based on anything substantive or merely an inference that this could or would happen if the team loses a few games in a row?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Are we in a better position than this time last year? Simple question because in my books any reasonable improvement on last season is a step forward in the re-build of the club irrespective of our position on the ladder. Two wins in seven games is a vast improvement on last season. Thoughts?

Further, there have been some comments re Staj “losing the dressing room” on a few of these posts. Is this based on anything substantive or merely an inference that this could or would happen if the team loses a few games in a row?
I've asked the question on here, but only because we've had a few players who have started to look disinterested, so it's made me wonder if there's anything more widespread going on, or if that's just isolated to the mindset of one or 2 players *cough*clisby*cough* ....though I might be placing too much stock on that one game where our back line played like they did last year and they all played like they were protesting against the club.
But it's more a concern about the potential - mindset is almost guaranteed to go downhill if we keep losing. Of course Staj is well aware of that and building a strong team culture as he has means resilience will be built in to the team naturally.
Just a concern I have over whether motivation and energy is still fragile and whether we will start to psych ourselves out again as we have the last few years.
As I said -a question and a concern, nothing more. Apologies if my question has made anybody think that something IS going on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred