• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Ads

Do you think we could get an answer about why John over the Brisbane strikers lad?

Was the Brisbane lad after more than a scholarship?

From the stats, ignoring the once of hat trick in the trial for John surely there was a better option.

I hope it wasn’t just to please a few people on Facebook that said why don’t we get the guy with the hat trick.

midfielder

John Roberts welcome on board ....

AS I see it we had two choices....

1] First spend a lot of money [for us anyway] to buy in a top striker.... I do believe we set a standard needed and for what we had we could find no one.... so why sign a dud on big money... god knows we have done that a lot in the past...

2] Sign a top junior on near zero dollars, and hope to turn them into something special....

I still want a decent striker but if this kid is say 15% better than what we have which would not be that hard its a good signing... if he has the touch of an elephant and the brain of a donkey then at least we have not done our shirt on him.... also he has trailed which IMO is a good sign...

midfielder

https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/john-roberts-signs-central-coast-mariners

The Central Coast Mariners can tonight confirm the signing of talented Mount Druitt attacker John Roberts to a scholarship agreement with the club.

18-year old Roberts has been on trial with the Mariners for a number of weeks, highlighted by a clinical hat-trick against the North Shore Mariners that caught the eye of club supporters.

Roberts has spent time with both Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderers in the past, but said that this opportunity with the Mariners feels like a second chance and a new start for him.

“For me, and for my family, this is really big,” Roberts said on Tuesday.

“It was tough since I left Western Sydney, trying to figure out where I was going to be.”

“Staj gave me a chance to come here and play and train at the Mariners, it’s not something I’m going to take lightly and I feel like I owe Staj and the club so I will try to reward them now.”

Roberts was born in Guinea after his parents fled the war in Sierra Leone, and made his way to Australia before he turned 10 years old.

This year, he returned to NPL club Mt. Druitt to restore his confidence and get some game time, and believes it was a key to him arriving where he is now.

“I think I needed to take that step backwards to then take another one forwards,” he said.

“From now it is about working hard, giving 110% every time and hopefully getting some game time in the first team.”

Mariners Head Coach Alen Stajcic said it was an exciting opportunity for Roberts and a further indication of the Mariners providing opportunities for young players.

“John has been on trial now with the Mariners for a few weeks and he has impressed us with his work rate, his footballing ability and also his attitude around the club.”

“He’s a hard worker and this is a big chance for him to show us what we know he can be, given his time formerly in the Joey’s and also as a Young Socceroo.”

“This follows on from Lewis [Miller] signing and Sammy Silvera and shows the Mariners are a club that is ready to provide opportunities to our talented young players.”

Roberts' signing comes ahead of Saturday's #F3Derby against the Newcastle Jets, with both teams looking to make a statement in a traditionally big matchup.

Forum Phoenix

You set the bar very low FP - 3 clubs in 6 months, the 45th top scorer in NPL1 last season and already cut after less than a year at both of the A League clubs he has been at is not an example of young talent that we want or need around the club. He is another example of players being dropped or cut by WSW that we have picked up because they used to be coached by Arrarte.

Sorry PL, I really appreciate your posts. But after the post where you were thoroughly pissed off that we gave Silvera a deal while the rest of us were stoked. It has looked like you have a bit of bias going on. Though I like that you’re obviously a champion for own academy boys.

But in this post to make your case, you make a pretty massive assumption. That Staj is not a man who knows his own mind.

I think he clearly is. We also keep hearing how incredibly attentive and detail oriented he is.

So when an 18 year old triallist wins a scholarship with us. I don’t think it’s because his biased assistant sweet talked him into it. Staj cares waaaay too much about winning for that kind of foolishness.

The much more likely reason, is the usual reason... because he sees talent there. Just like with Silvera. And until Staj proves himself a numpty. I’ll go with his judgement.

That’s not a low bar. It’s just that I don’t think I know better than the current coaching staff. Maybe you do (and I’m not being snide) but I think that’s less likely.

So when my club announces the signing an 18 year old triallist. Yeah, I’m happy for them, and will hope for the best for us all. And I think any new young signing deserves good will from our support. Probably the best day of his life.

They’re all just kids desperate to play professional football, and in my own experience, when selection is so competitive, unless the kid is an obvious world beater, there’s always a contingent of those who think X player should not be selected and X player should.

So you either trust the regime or you don’t. And you clearly don’t.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

I agree, I feel stitched up by this stunt.

Reeks of desperation in trying to give the fans something to be happy about, he would have known we wouldn't give a shit about an 18 year old that nobody has heard of.

Thanks for nothing.

I give a shit about any signing. Especially that young. And I don’t think Shaun hyped it.

If that’s what the club thinks hype now looks like. We’d be clueless.

I think we’re just pissed because we can sense how close we are this year but just badly need that striker.

Last edited:

turbo

I still want a decent striker but if this kid is say 15% better than what we have which would not be that hard its a good signing
He almost certainly won't be at least for now. But he's cheap attacking depth Staj can work on and that serves a purpose as long as it isnt at the expense of going for a starting quality striker which Shaun says isnt the case..

turbo

And I don’t think Shaun hyped it.
By his own admission he was trying to bring some attention towards deadline day which he believes will become a bigger deal. The club also retweeted it and are they going to do that for every meeting Shaun has? I don't think there was any ill intent but I believe it's a bit disingenuous to publicly hint at last minute business on deadline day but have it be a sponsor meeting and signing a scholarship player which either wasnt an 11th hour deal or probably didnt need to be.

true believer

all in all we have no striker .any team with two goals in them , will beat us everytime .
with months and months . ccm couldn't find a striker .
all hope will be depleted in a few weeks . by the new transfer window it'll be to f**king late .

shipwreck

By his own admission he was trying to bring some attention towards deadline day which he believes will become a bigger deal. The club also retweeted it and are they going to do that for every meeting Shaun has? I don't think there was any ill intent but I believe it's a bit disingenuous to publicly hint at last minute business on deadline day but have it be a sponsor meeting and signing a scholarship player which either wasnt an 11th hour deal or probably didnt need to be.
This

Ironbark

all in all we have no striker .any team with two goals in them , will beat us everytime .
all hope will be depleted in a few weeks . by the new transfer window it'll be to f**king late .
I find this a concern also but hope that if something happens it will be much sooner than the next window.

It's pretty clear we'll lose a lot of games that we should win without some reliable goal scorers. Muzz could get there but needs time we don't have (he can have that time off the bench behind a 1st choice 9 of course).

sydmariner

Transfer window closed! Every signing for 2019/20 Season
After a flurry of departures, arrivals and activity, the Hyundai A-League transfer window is now closed and all 11 clubs have assembled their rosters for the 2019/20 season.

For a full explainer on how the Hyundai A-League transfer window works, click HERE.

You can find all signings and player departures for every club below.

This list is correct as of October 16, 12.00am AEDT, and does not include player transfers made before April 29, the end of the Hyundai A-League 2018/19 regular season.

The exception is Western United FC, with all of the new club's current signings included below.

EXPLAINER: How does the transfer window work?

Adelaide United
IN

Riley McGree (Club Brugge) Story
Michaël Maria (Charlotte Independence) Story
Kristian Opseth (Erzurum BB) Story
Al Hassan Toure (promoted) Story
Kusini Yengi (promoted) Story
James Troisi (Melbourne Victory) Story
Yongbin Chen (Qingdao Red Lions) Story

OUT
Isaias (released) Story
Scott Galloway (Melbourne City) Story
Baba Diawara (released) Story

Troisi%20051019.jpg

Adelaide United signed hometown boy James Troisi on a two-year deal.
Brisbane Roar
IN

Roy O'Donovan (Newcastle Jets) Story
Tom Aldred (Bury) Story
Aaron Amadi-Holloway (Shrewsbury) Story
Macaulay Gillesphey (Carlisle United) Story
Jake McGing (Wisla Plock) Story
George Mells (Fortuna Sittard) Story
Brad Inman (Rochdale) Story
Aiden O’Neill (on loan from Burnley) Story
Jay O'Shea (Bury) Story
Scott Neville (Perth Glory) Story
Max Crocombe (Salford City) Story
Jai Ingham (Central Coast Mariners) Story
Rahmat Akbari Story

OUT
Matt McKay (retired), Henrique, Thomas Kristensen, Brett Holman, Luke DeVere, Eric Bautheac, Eli Babalj, Joe Caletti, Charles Lokoli-Ngoy, Alex Lopez, Tobias Mikkelsen, Stefan Nigro, Brendan White and Ruon Tongyik (all released) Story
Nick D'Agostino, Dane Ingham (released) Story

McKay%20emotional.jpg

Retiring legend Matt McKay headlines an exodus at Brisbane Roar under new head coach Robbie Fowler
Central Coast Mariners
IN

Giancarlo Gallifuoco (Western Sydney Wanderers) Story
Daniel De Silva (end of loan period) Story
Ziggy Gordon (Hamilton Academical) Story
Abraham Majok (Western Sydney Wanderers) Story
Ruon Tongyik (Brisbane Roar) Story
Kim Eun-Sun (Ansan Police) Story
Milan Đurić (FK Vojvodina) Story
Dylan Fox (FC Anyang) Story
Gianni Stensness (Wellington Phoenix) Story
Samuel Silvera (promoted) Story
John Roberts Story

OUT
Peter Kekeris (released) Story
Tom Hiariej, Corey Gameiro, Joe Gauci (released) Story
Andrew Hoole (Broadmeadow Magic) Story
Ben Kennedy, Jem Karacan (released) and Aiden O'Neill (end of loan) Story
Jai Ingham (Brisbane Roar) Story

GG-Web.jpg

Snared by Alen Stajcic: Giancarlo Gallifuoco
Macarthur FC (join the Hyundai A-League from 2020/21 Season)
IN

N/A

OUT
N/A

Melbourne City
IN

Scott Galloway (Adelaide United) Story
Craig Noone (Bolton Wanderers) Story
Richard Windbichler (Viborg FF) Story
Josh Brillante (Sydney FC) Story
Javier Cabrera (Montevideo Wanderers) Story
Adrian Luna (Veracuz) Story
Tom Glover (Tottenham Hotspur) Story
Raphael Borges Rodrigues, Idrus Abdulahi, Yaya Dukuly, Joe Gauci and Kerrin Stokes (all on scholarship contracts) Story
Connor Metcalfe and Moudi Najjar (promoted) Story

OUT
Ritchie De Laet (Aston Villa - end of loan spell) Story
James Delianov (Western United) Story
Eugene Galekovic (retired) Story
Shayon Harrison (Tottenham Hotspur - end of loan spell) Story
Riley McGree (Club Brugge - end of loan spell) Story
Dario Vidosic Story
Bart Schenkeveld Story
Kearyn Baccus Story
Mark Birighitti Story

Scott%20Galloway.jpg

Scott Galloway will don Melbourne City colours in 2019/20
Melbourne Victory
IN

Jay Barnett (Brisbane Roar) Story
Robbie Kruse (free agent) Story
Andrew Nabbout (Urawa Red Diamonds) Story
Tim Hoogland (VfL Bochum) Story
James Donachie (Jeonnam Dragons) Story
Kristijan Dobras (Rheindorf Altach) Story
Benjamin Carrigan (promoted) Story
Brandon Lauton (promoted) Story
Jakob Poulsen (FC Midtjylland) Story
Adama Traore (Göztepe) Story
Migjen Basha (Aris Thessaloniki) Story

OUT
Rahmat Akbari (Brisbane Roar) Story
Raul Baena (released) Story
Keisuke Honda (released) Story
Jai Ingham (released) Story
Georg Niedermeier (released) Story
Carl Valeri (retired) Story
Kosta Barbarouses (released) Story

GNRBJI_web.jpg

Raul Baena, Georg Niedermeier and Jai Ingham have all been let go by Victory
Newcastle Jets
IN

Pat Langlois (promoted, youth team) Story
Snake (Central Coast Mariners) Story
Nick Fitzgerald (Western Sydney Wanderers) Story
Abdiel Arroyo (Arabe Unido - loan) Story
Wes Hoolahan (unattached) Story
Bobby Burns (Hearts loan) Story

OUT
Roy O'Donovan Story
Ronald Vargas, Daniel Georgievski, Jair, Nick Cowburn, Jake Adelson, Kwabena Appiah (all released) Story
Ivan Vujica (Western United) Story

roydonovan.jpg

Newcastle Jets opted to withdraw their offer to keep Roy O'Donovan
Perth Glory
IN

Nicholas D'Agostino (Brisbane Roar) Story
Dane Ingham (Brisbane Roar) Story
Jacob Tratt (Sydney FC) Story
Soo-beom Kim (Jeju United) Story
Osama Malik (Al-Batin) Story
Gregory Wüthrich (Young Boys) Story
James Meredith Story
Riley Warland (Fulham) Story

OUT
Jason Davidson (Ulsan Hyundai) Story
Brendon Santalab (retired) Story
Fabio Ferreira, Walter Scott (released) Story
Jacob Italiano (Borussia Monchengladbach, Germany) Story
Scott Neville (Brisbane Roar) Story
Andy Keogh (unconfirmed) Story

Santalab%20celebreates.jpg

Brendon Santalab has called time on his professional career
Sydney FC
IN

Kosta Barbarouses (Melbourne Victory) Story, Full Press Conference
Alexander Baumjohann (Western Sydney Wanderers) Story
Ryan McGowan (Bradford City) Story
Anthony Caceres (Manchester City) Story
Luke Brattan (Manchester City) Story
Chris Zuvela and Patrick Flottman Story

OUT
Alex Brosque (retired) Story
Siem de Jong (Ajax), Reza Ghoochannejhad (APOEL), Anthony Caceres (Manchester City), Daniel De Silva (Central Coast Mariners) - end of loan spell Story
Aaron Calver (Western United) Story
Josh Brillante, Jop van der Linden, Alex Cisak, Mitch Austin, Jacob Tratt, Cameron Devlin (all released) Story

dejong.jpg

Siem de Jong has returned to his parent club Ajax
Wellington Phoenix
IN

Luke DeVere (Brisbane Roar) Story
Stefan Marinović (Bristol City) Story
Walter Scott (Perth Glory) Story
Jaushua Sotirio (unattached) Story
Ben Waine (Academy) Story
Callum McCowatt (Eastern Suburbs) Story
Cameron Devlin (Sydney FC) Story
Ulises Davila (Delhi Dynamos) Story
Liam McGing (Sutherland Sharks) Story
David Ball (Rotherham United) Story
Te Atawhai Hudson-Wihongi (Onehunga Sports FC) Story
Tim Payne (Eastern Suburbs) Story
Matti Steinmann (Hamburger SV) Story
Reno Piscopo (Renate FC) Story

OUT
Filip Kurto (Western United) Story
Max Burgess (Western United) Story
Roy Krishna (unconfirmed) Story, joins ATK in India Story
Nathan Burns, Antony Golec, Justin Gulley, Michal Kopczyński, Ryan Lowry, Cillian Sheridan (all released) Story
David Williams (unconfirmed) Story
Andrew Durante (Western United) Story
Tom Doyle (unconfirmed) Story

opta.jpg

2018/19 Goalkeeper of the Year Filip Kurto has pledged his allegiance to Western United
Western Sydney Wanderers
IN

Daniel Georgievski (Newcastle Jets) Story
Pirmin Schwegler (Hannover 96, Germany) Story
Daniel Lopar (St. Gallen, Switzerland) Story
Radoslaw Majewski (Pogon Szczecin) Story
Dylan McGowan (Vendsyssel) Story
Nick Sullivan Story
Mohamed Adam (promoted) Story
Matthew Jurman Story
Alexander Meier Story
Nicolai Muller Story

OUT
Brendan Hamill (Western United) Story
Giancarlo Gallifuoco (Central Coast Mariners) Story
Josh Risdon (Western United) Story
Oriol Riera, Roly Bonevacia, Raul Llorente, Alexander Baumjohann, Jaushua Sotirio, Abraham Majok, Marc Tokich, Rashid Mahazi, John Roberts (all released) Story
Nick Fitzgerald (released) Story

schwegler.jpg

Pirmin Schwegler joins the Wanderers from Bundesliga club Hannover 96
Western United
IN

Panagiotis Kone (Udinese) Story
Alessandro Diamanti (Livorno) Story
Josh Risdon (Western Sydney Wanderers) Story
Connor Chapman (Pohang Steelers) Story
Aaron Calver (Sydney FC) Story
Sebastian Pasquali (Ajax Amsterdam) Story
Apostolos Stamatelopoulos (Adelaide United) Story
Dylan Pierias (Melbourne City) Story
James Delianov (Melbourne City) Story
Valentino Yuel (Bentleigh Greens) Story
Connor Pain (Central Coast Mariners) Story
Josh Cavallo (Melbourne City) Story
Jonathan Aspropotamitis (Central Coast Mariners) Story
Ersan Gulum (uncontracted) Story
Brendan Hamill (Western Sydney Wanderers) Story
Filip Kurto (Wellington Phoenix) Story
Scott McDonald (Partick Thistle) Story
Max Burgess (Wellington Phoenix) Story
Andrew Durante (Wellington Phoenix) Story
Ivan Vujica (Newcastle Jets) Story
Thierry Iradukunda Story
Dario Jertec (Varaždin) Story
Luke Duzel (Melbourne City) Story
Besart Berisha (Western United) Story

Michael

It has to be stressed that we can still sign a free agent and there is still quality free agents out there.
But we do need to factor that if (massive if) and when it happens it’s going to take roughly a month to get them upto speed and fitness.

localpom

Agree. The situation is compounded by the fact we don't really have any regular goal scoring mid's. Hoping someone can prove this wrong as we really need to spread the goals around much of the team if we aren't signing a proven goalscorer soonish.

marinermick

Agree. The situation is compounded by the fact we don't really have any regular goal scoring mid's. Hoping someone can prove this wrong as we really need to spread the goals around much of the team if we aren't signing a proven goalscorer soonish.

I can see Djuric being a 6-10 goal midfielder. Oar used to be prolific and DDS and Silvera all have potential, but as you said they need to start proving people wrong.

Would be nice (and wishful thinking) to be Sydney like and have goals come from all over the park.

true believer

I can see Djuric being a 6-10 goal midfielder. Oar used to be prolific and DDS and Silvera all have potential, but as you said they need to start proving people wrong.

Would be nice (and wishful thinking) to be Sydney like and have goals come from all over the park.

Its easy to have goals coming all over the park when your shitting your pants over , lafondra ,barbarousos and ninkovic .

Teams also know you don't even need to have your best defender on our 9 .
And should you be in trouble the var and/or a red card will be delivered forewith.

Kit Walker

You set the bar very low FP - 3 clubs in 6 months, the 45th top scorer in NPL1 last season and already cut after less than a year at both of the A League clubs he has been at is not an example of young talent that we want or need around the club. He is another example of players being dropped or cut by WSW that we have picked up because they used to be coached by Arrarte.
Who do you think we should sign Pinklady?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred