• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Forum Phoenix

I had hoped (and still hold out some hope) that management has figured out that bargain basement players in key positions nullify quality in other areas.
There is zero point of investing in players like Ziggy and the Koreans if we don’t have genuine A-League level talent in key areas like GK and Striker.
Yeah bang on,

Wombat

A season of Pearce perhaps. Disappointed

Pearce is sub par. Any idiot can see that. Both Wanderers keepers were very good last night.
It truly isn’t that hard to get solid keepers.

The Islander boy we trialled from Canberra looked rock solid.

FFC Mariner

Pearce is sub par. Any idiot can see that. Both Wanderers keepers were very good last night.
It truly isn’t that hard to get solid keepers.

The Islander boy we trialled from Canberra looked rock solid.
Munford is nowhere near AL level, however, he shits all over Pearce and I'd be happy to see the boy develop if thats all we can get

Wombat

Munford was included in all the drills last season (once they realised Gauci was a dud). I believe he has been outstanding this season for Yoof.

Josho Howe

Yes indeed, Munford is very good and should have been in front of Gauci. I fear that he too will leave the club without a proper opportunity. I'm not sure he's at A-League level just yet but he's honestly not far away. Much prefer to see him than Pearce.

Forum Phoenix

I don’t think it will do it all. But it was clearly one of our fatal flaws last season so if we haven’t fixed it, it is very disappointing and would be the first big miss of Staj and the new board. But it hasn’t happened yet.

I also take some small hope in that I think Pearce controls his box better than Kennedy at least. And there is a possibility that under JVS he will start to rapidly improve. He is young, JVS is quality, so it is possible.

And the other ray of hope is maybe a keeper like Munford or one we’re not even aware of right now, could under JVS become quality.

Indeed JVS may have already had his eye on some young talent. Here’s hoping.

Last edited:

midfielder

I have heard good things about Munford and I recall a couple of other keepers we developed early on...

With a decent keeper coach, I look at those two MV keepers they are both young...

What it comes down to and I guess something getting a straight answer may be difficult ... if it is Munford was it the coaches clear choice ... or was it revenue based and he was the best option...

Both Matty & Danny speed at releasing the ball was a joy to watch and Danny's sideway low kicks from goal almost to feet where amazing similar was Matty hand throws... remember neither Danny or Matty set the house on fire from game 1, but they improved quickly...

Ancient Mariner

I remember when Matt Ryan first started with us. I had never seen a keeper so butter fingered. Crawley used to come out with him at half time and continually practice kicking a ball straight at him to catch. He improved.

I am not as worried as some here by the prospect of a young keeper, as long as they have confidence to control the box, a good coach and the ability to learn.

Another thing to note is that no keeper can have confidence and look good behind a crap defence. It is no coincidence our keepers have looked ordinary for the last 5 years.

I will wait and see.

Reactions: adz

Coastalraider

Worse?
Has Shaun got BK on speed dial?

I did take a look at news for Glover the other day. Apparently still without a club.

To be fair I think Glover has talent to be a very good A league keeper, it seemed to be his attitude and application that was the issue while he was with us.

If Staj can get him to buy in (like he obviously has with DDS) I wouldn't be heartbroken with that outcome. I had obviously hoped for more when teams like Brisbane have international level keepers riding the pine.

turbo

I'd rather try to develop a new keeper even if it's a rough ride like Izzo was than go backwards with BK who doesnt seem like he'll get any better at this point. Theres too much bad blood to bring him back. Depending on whats happening with the last visa slot if we have to go with a local Glover seems like a plausible option. Many keepers would still be wary of us and it's not like we've put Schenkeveld in front of them to ease those concerns. Without deep pockets the main thing we have to offer is the starting spot which are few and far between for keepers so naturally that's going to attract someone young or who has been on the bench for a long time.

Looking at transfermarkt the best ranked aus player off contract that we could be in for would be Jack Duncan but not sure whether he is staying where he is or if we can afford him/he would want to come back. Cisak is an option but supposedly had some issues. I havent seen him play at all but Caleb Patterson-Sewell plays in the US, has had minutes in the 2nd and 3rd division and bench time in MLS. Contracted until the end of the year but could be worth enquiring about a loan.

turbo

You swap Jamie Young for BK last season and Brisbane would have spooned.
Exactly. I believe his saved % was still quite good despite the defence in front of him and copping more shots than most other keepers. He's not perfect and still made mistakes but few as glaring as what we saw most weeks. Swap them and we finish 9th, maybe even 8th if we could stop a few collapses.

adz

Staff member

Hope you mean Burger King

giphy.gif

Shaun Mielekamp

Shaun

Can you comment on the keeper ...
Yeh sure, happy to comment. I am not sure what Ozhammer is "hearing" to start panic on the forum but sounds different from my conversations with Alen and JVS. They have a list of options they are working through to get the right fit and best option for the club. Of course hard to say anything concrete until the concrete is ready to set. I would not want to imply something that then plays out differently but to say that we don't have good intent and ambition here would be incorrect. I will try and see if I can get a more structured recruitment update from Alen in the media through the week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred