• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2018 Pre-Season Games ...... yes they exist !!

adz

Staff member
On the fence on this one. I can see how ridiculous the pricing is for a preseason game. But then there is the Bolt hype for the club to take advantage of, and the big crowd (assumed) to see CCM with Bolt, hammer (hmmm) some Central Coast pub side.

Capt. Awesome

Here are my views on formation, tactic and general play. Sorry it long.

ATTACK
As seen in the diagram below, in attack we played a 3-5-2 with Simon and Connor up top. Connor usually played just in behind Simon and acted like a 10 or false 9 but would get forward on occasion. Simon would also drop back to link play making us very unpredictable but would generally lead the line. We played with Millar and McDonald as wingbacks and WeeMac Tom and O'Neil in the midfield. A back 3 of Clisby, McGing and Rowles anchored the backline. We looked to move the ball quickly and this produced a passing speed that was much quicker than last year's Okonball. There were minimal long balls and we looked to value possession. This may change with a stronger opposition.
Attack.jpeg

DEFENCE
In defence we dropped to a 5-3-2 with a flat back 5. We implemented a high press and endeavoured to win back the ball quickly. This worked quite well against a lowly team such as Adamstown however the press didn't seem to have any structure and we could get found out with a more competitive opposition as we saw against Adelaide in the FFA cup. They (Adelaide) found it easy to play through our press. We tended to crowd the ball handler to one side with the 3 mids and 2 forwards that created a very open free side of the pitch. Adamstown couldn't play through this however an A-League side would quickly work this out and move the ball quickly to a very exposed open side. Hopefully with a bit more work and structure this can be rectified.
Defence.jpeg
Notes on players:
Simon: Played his heart out and was quite sharp. His service from other players was quite limited as Adamstown crowed him which opened space for Connor. Converted his pen without any fuss.
Connor: Was moving the ball around quite well for such a heavy left footed player. Took some shot and played the full 90. I can see Hoole will probably take that role in the future or a new CAM.
Macdonnald: Looked like he filled his role nicely and should build into a good wingback. Scored 2 goals.
Millar: was industrious and got in behind on quite a few occasions however his crossing needs work. Most failed to get to Simons head when that ball was needed. Bagged a goal.
Weemac: Was busy all game and linked quite well.
Tom: Was great to have back and was quite good considering his lay off. Will only get better. Scored a great long rang goal.
O'Neil: Was a stand out. Confident, great first touch. Had some shots and generally didn't put a foot wrong.
McGing: Was OK but didn't have to do much.
Clisby: Very good. Passing range was great. Moved the ball quickly from side to side.
Rowles: Another quality no fuss game.
Kennedy: Didn't have to do much.
Golec: Could see he loved being back. Played on the left side of the back three. He tended to push forward quite often unlike Rowles in the first half which was interesting little tweak to the formation. Very solid return.
Murray: Had quite a few shots and was getting into good positions with decisive runs. Looks very promising.
Berry: Just an average performance. Came on for WeeMac.
Melling: Looked a little sharper than last year.

Overall a good performance however Adamstown really didn't put up much fight and mistakes from their keeper made the scoreline look impressive. We seem to be moving in the right direction but as stated above our press will need work or we could be in for a tough year.

Onto the Bolt Circus Game.

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit

ATTACK
As seen in the diagram below, in attack we played a 3-5-2 with Simon and Connor up top. Connor usually played just in behind Simon and acted like a 10 or false 9 but would get forward on occasion. Simon would also drop back to link play making us very unpredictable but would generally lead the line. We played with Millar and McDonald as wingbacks and WeeMac Tom and O'Neil in the midfield. A back 3 of Clisby, McGing and Rowles anchored the backline. We looked to move the ball quickly and this produced a passing speed that was much quicker than last year's Okonball. There were minimal long balls and we looked to value possession. This may change with a stronger opposition.
View attachment 1186

DEFENCE
In defence we dropped to a 5-3-2 with a flat back 5. We implemented a high press and endeavoured to win back the ball quickly. This worked quit well against a lowly team such as Adamstown however the press didn't seem to have any structure and we could get found out with a more competitive opposition as we saw against Adelaide in the FFA cup. They (Adelaide) found it easy to play through our press. We tended to crowd the ball handler to one side with the 3 mids and 2 forwards that created a very open free side of the pitch. Adamstown couldn't play through this however an A-League side would quickly work this out and move the ball quickly to a very exposed open side. Hopefully with a bit more work and structure this can be rectified.
View attachment 1187
Notes on players:
Simon: Played his heart out and was quite sharp. His service from other players was quite limited as Adamstown crowed him which opened space for Connor. Converted his pen without any fuss.
Connor: Was moving the ball around quite well for such a heavy left footed player. Took some shot and played the full 90. I can see Hoole will probably take that role in the future or a new CAM.
Macdonnald: Looked like he filled his role nicely and should build into a good wingback. Scored 2 goals.
Millar: was industrious and got in behind on quite a few occasions however his crossing needs work. Most failed to get to Simons head when that ball was needed. Bagged a goal.
Tom: Was great to have back and was quite good considering his lay off. Will only get better. Scored a great long rang goal.
O'Neil: Was a stand out. Confident, great first touch. Had some shots and generally didn't put a foot wrong.
Clisby: Very good. Passing range was great. Moved the ball quickly from side to side.
Golec: Could see he loved being back. Played on the left side of the back three. He tended to push forward quite often unlike Rowles in the first half which was interesting little tweak to the formation. Very solid return.
Murray: Had quite a few shots and was getting into good positions with decisive runs. Looks very promising.

Overall a good performance however Adamstown really didn't put up much fight and mistakes from their keeper made the scoreline look impressive. We seem to be moving in the right direction but as stated above our press will need work or we could be in for a tough year.

Thanks Cap’n , those diagrams sure help a technical moron such as myself

Wombat

ATTACK
View attachment 1186

DEFENCE
In defence we dropped to a 5-3-2 with a flat back 5. We implemented a high press and endeavoured to win back the ball quickly. This worked quit well against a lowly team such as Adamstown however the press didn't seem to have any structure and we could get found out with a more competitive opposition as we saw against Adelaide in the FFA cup. They (Adelaide) found it easy to play through our press. We tended to crowd the ball handler to one side with the 3 mids and 2 forwards that created a very open free side of the pitch. Adamstown couldn't play through this however an A-League side would quickly work this out and move the ball quickly to a very exposed open side. Hopefully with a bit more work and structure this can be rectified.
View attachment 1187
Notes on players:

Some interesting observations and overall a very good review. The 352 to 532 needs work or its an over simplification of how they are attempting to play. Its a definate work in progress but progress is definately being made.

bikinigirl

On the fence on this one. I can see how ridiculous the pricing is for a preseason game. But then there is the Bolt hype for the club to take advantage of, and the big crowd (assumed) to see CCM with Bolt, hammer (hmmm) some Central Coast pub side.

. yeah it's the assumption of a big crowd that brings it all unstuck

. where is Dibo when we need someone to run the numbers. I'd be interested to know what the tipping point would be for two different pricing structures

Antlion

Some interesting observations and overall a very good review. The 352 to 532 needs work or its an over simplification of how they are attempting to play. Its a definate work in progress but progress is definately being made.
Nice to see an actual coach at work hey

Josho Howe

If we play at the stadium, l have heard it takes 9-10k for us to break even. I wonder how ticket sales are going atm.

Antlion

If we play at the stadium, l have heard it takes 9-10k for us to break even. I wonder how ticket sales are going atm.
Yeah I won't be going to that.
As much as I actually am on board with the whole Bolt thing, spending up to see a sprinter play football in a pre-season friendly doesn't appeal to me. I'll save my money for membership/tickets etc. If Bolt makes good and makes the team I'll see him then

Wombat

. yeah it's the assumption of a big crowd that brings it all unstuck

. where is Dibo when we need someone to run the numbers. I'd be interested to know what the tipping point would be for two different pricing structures

Hey BG,
Didnt see you last night:(.
I'm guessing you dont mean as oppossed to gold coin donation at Pluim:)

Forum Phoenix

Yeah this would be my rationale re pricing.

I'm less sure the thought process would be so they can cash in on Bolt. Though that would be ideal and I'd be happy for them if that occurred.

I expect they crunched numbers on previous pre season games and think they should definitely be able to pull at least a tenth of members/500 people approx (Something I can't see them having banked on without Bolt) and so set a price that as a worse case they break even. What I'd do.

I'd be very surprised if they get more than a couple of thousand to attend. Be a good surprise though.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Yeah I won't be going to that.
As much as I actually am on board with the whole Bolt thing, spending up to see a sprinter play football in a pre-season friendly doesn't appeal to me. I'll save my money for membership/tickets etc. If Bolt makes good and makes the team I'll see him then

Have I missed something? (Not being snarky) I thought after discount it's $16 right?

That seems ok to me given it's at the stadium?

Reactions: adz

style_cafe

ATTACK
View attachment 1186

DEFENCE
In defence we dropped to a 5-3-2 with a flat back 5. We implemented a high press and endeavoured to win back the ball quickly. This worked quite well against a lowly team such as Adamstown however the press didn't seem to have any structure and we could get found out with a more competitive opposition as we saw against Adelaide in the FFA cup. They (Adelaide) found it easy to play through our press. We tended to crowd the ball handler to one side with the 3 mids and 2 forwards that created a very open free side of the pitch. Adamstown couldn't play through this however an A-League side would quickly work this out and move the ball quickly to a very exposed open side. Hopefully with a bit more work and structure this can be rectified.
View attachment 1187
Notes on players:

I heard we`re looking for a new analyst,stick the resume in mate. Great summary...:popcorn:

style_cafe

How fricking cold was it!!!!

Two old boys behind us go in a debate about the coldest towns in NSW.

Blayney
Oberon
Orange
Glenn Innis
Lithgow
LISAROW
It was so cold I couldn`t even push the right buttons on my phone.
It was supposed to be freezing not greezing...lol

Marinator7

Yeah this would be my rationale re pricing.

I'm less sure the thought process would be so they can cash in on Bolt. Though that would be ideal and I'd be happy for them if that occurred.

I expect they crunched numbers on previous pre season games and think they should definitely be able to pull at least a tenth of members/500 people approx (Something I can't see them having banked on without Bolt) and so set a price that as a worse case they break even. What I'd do.

I'd be very surprised if they more than a couple of thousand attend. Be a good surprise though.

From the map on Ticketek it looks as though the top tier of the eastern grandstand is closed so that might reduce costs and make it easier to break even? just a thought

yellowcake

...spending up to see a sprinter play football in a pre-season friendly doesn't appeal to me.

If Bolt makes good and makes the team I'll see him then
This is the thing as I see it. Usain Bolt isn't just a sprinter, he's arguably the the best known athletics superstar on the planet.
The sprinter who has run the three fastest ever flagship 100m, the fastest 200m and who's relay teams have run the six fastest 4x100m ever.
The sprinter who would have had gold medals in each of those three events at three consecutive Olympic Games (if it wasn't for the drug used by one of his relay team-mates, dropping his Olympic Gold count to eight). And eleven World Championship golds.

The venue and pricing implies that on the August 31 we will see the person who has monumentally achieved the above, on his quest for a different journey, pull on the shirt of the club I love, support (and have been a member of since 2006) to play football. If the training arrangement doesn't amount to anything, perhaps it will be the only time he will appear in it at Central Coast Stadium. Millions of people around the globe will view images or video of this game and for $16 (with the code) one can experience live, a famously historic Mariners moment. No brainer for mine!

If he makes the team then I'll see him again (for nothing more than I've already paid to see my team).

Forum Phoenix

This is the thing as I see it. Usain Bolt isn't just a sprinter, he's arguably the the best known athletics superstar on the planet.
The sprinter who has run the three fastest ever flagship 100m, the fastest 200m and who's relay teams have run the six fastest 4x100m ever.
The sprinter who would have had gold medals in each of those three events at three consecutive Olympic Games (if it wasn't for the drug used by one of his relay team-mates, dropping his Olympic Gold count to eight). And eleven World Championship golds.

The venue and pricing implies that on the August 31 we will see the person who has monumentally achieved the above, on his quest for a different journey, pull on the shirt of the club I love, support (and have been a member of since 2006) to play football. If the training arrangement doesn't amount to anything, perhaps it will be the only time he will appear in it at Central Coast Stadium. Millions of people around the globe will view images or video of this game and for $16 (with the code) one can experience live, a famously historic Mariners moment. No brainer for mine!

If he makes the team then I'll see him again (for nothing more than I've already paid to see my team).

Love this post.

We all know the possible pitfall, time to enjoy the positive.

I think there’s a fair bit of jealousy out there among other club fans. These people have consistently found a way to bag us no matter what we do. Even when winning the league. Cop our first spoon after how many years of success. Time for pro leg. Only getting the sixth best crowds in the league from the smallest and only regional club and best per capital... boot them out. Mariners win but their footballl is so ugly they’re ruining the game. Trial one non pro who can bring enormous benefits to us in exposure and hopefully dollars and the club who has the best youth record in the league is suddenly the poster child for overlooking NPL players. Absurd, screw them.

Time to help bolt achieve his dream and make some real dosh.

Even Arnie didn’t put shit on us. Knows we need this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred