• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

National Youth League Fixtures and Mariners youth team discussion

pinklady

So a massive decline this year. Who could have predicted that LOL.
1 less win and 1 less goal than last year - yes lower on the ladder but hardly a "massive decline". Top scorer Matias Paz scored 5 goals from 5 starts at 81 minutes per goal and a conversion rate of 31% - all better than any of last years strikers.
The real test will be in the NPL with a much younger team. The 2017 team had 3 x overage (21 year old) players and 8 x 20 year olds. This year there is only one overage player - Jack Kuipers. The other two over age players are Lachie Wales (full time A League although not yet contracted) and James Markovics who has returned to South Coast Wolves. There are only 4 x 20 year olds with only 2 of them playing in the NYL. The majority of the team are 17-19 so it will be a very steep learning curve for a lot of the younger lads.
That being said they started off their NPL pre-season on Tuesday night with a comprehensive 5-1 win over Hamilton Olympic in Newcastle. Hamilton were runners up in the NNSW NPL1 last year and also the overall club champions. 2 first half goals to Charles William who showed great pace and very cool finishing were followed in the second half by a trademark 25 metre free kick from Kyle Johnson, and two excellent team goals finished off by Rhett Da Silva (Danny's younger brother) and Jordan Smylie who missed the end of the NYL whilst on the Australian Schoolboys tour in England. Olympic's only goal was scored by ex- CCMA player Jarryd Sutherland after a deflected clearance. CCM were still missing Wales, Peter Kekeris, Michael Glassock and Gianni Stensness all of whom would have been first choice selections and the injured Aiden Taouil.
CCM also won the Under 20s 1-0 in a game featuring a lot of last year's runaway League Champion Under 18s and quite a few from last years Under 16s. Olympic were last year's U20 League Champions and Grand Final runners up.
So at least a positive start to the pre-season, still a lot of work to be done and a very tough test ahead.

Gratis

Academy and Women's teams had convincing wins on the weekend, 4-0 and 10-0 respectively.

Will Vazquez took over from Sully until he returns - he's an impressive young coach with genuine coaching nous and one to watch without a doubt.
Dan Barrett has/is taking the womens team to a professional level too.

https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/npl-wrap-men-women-earn-convincing-wins
The Central Coast Mariners Academy men and women’s teams have earned convincing wins in the NSW NPL at the weekend with the men downing Northern Tigers 4-0 and the women claiming a 10-0 win over Southern Branch.

In the PS4 NPL 2 competition, our men faced a tough challenge against a strong Northern Tigers outfit and emerged in impressive fashion.

Young exciting attacker, Jordan Smylie made it three goals in as many weeks in his side’s 4-0 win over the Tigers away from home on Saturday evening.

With Head Coach Wayne O’Sullivan called up to Hyundai A-League duties, Assistant Coach Will Vazquez & Academy Director Ken Schembri were at the helm of the Mariners’ Academy impressive win.

After a scoreless opening 30 minutes, Smylie scored the opener when he placed his shot perfectly between the Tigers’ keeper’s legs which prompted a flurry of Mariners’ goals. In quick succession Charles William scored five minutes later before Kyle Johnson converted a spot kick to make it 3-0 before half time.

With the game almost done and dusted at the half time break, Amer Abdullah fired in the second half to make it 4-0 and a convicing win to the Mariners’ Academy.

The Mariners’ Academy men now turn their focus to a Friday night battle with the Macarthur Rams away from home.

20’s WON 3-2 (Hatch, Forsyth & R.De Silva)
18’s DREW 2-2 (Buettner & Windust)

The Mariners women completed a successful weekend for our senior academy sides when they rounded out 10-0 winners over Southern Branch at Mingara where Candice Phelan scored an impressive six-goal-haul!

Dan Barrett’s side proved to be far too strong and hit the break 5-0 up. It took the Mariners just eight minutes to take a 2-0 lead when Alisha Dudman and Jordan Evans scored in quick succession to get the Yellow & Navy off to a flying start.

Before the half time whistle Jade Mcatamney & Candice Phelan x 2 also featured on the scoresheet to make it 5-0 at the break.

Despite holding a convicing lead, our women didn’t take their foot off the pedal and bagged another five goals in the second half to complete a ruthless performance and send a warning shot to the competition.

Kate Duffy scored the first goal of the second half in the 62nd minute before Phelan fired another four goals of her own past Southern’s keeper in the second half to finish the day with six goals to her name.

This weekend the Mariners Academy women are away from home to the SD Raiders on Easter Monday at Ernie Smith Reserve.

Reserves WON 7-0
17’s WON 4-0
15's DREW 2-2
14's WON 4-3

pjennings

Canberra junior Mikey Katsoulis signs with Central Coast Mariners

Gungahlin United winger Mikey Katsoulis has spent the past decade idolising the Central Coast Mariners and next month he'll join them.

Katsoulis has signed a deal to play for the A-League club's National Youth League side next season, with the hope of later pushing into their first team.

Mikey Katsoulis has signed with the Central Coast Mariners to play in their NYL side.

When he was a junior the Central Coast hosted a junior clinic in Canberra and from there Katsoulis became a Mariners' man for life.

The 17-year-old has stuck by the Mariners through the thick and thin and when they offered him trial last month it was a "dream come true".

Scouts had spotted the winger dominating for Canberra United against the Central Coast in the National Youth League last summer.

Advertisement
Katsoulis threw everything into his trial and a week later received the call that he hopes will kick-start his A-League career.

"I was a bit surprised but if I was going to make it I had to move and I am ready to leave and show them what I can offer," Katsoulis said.

"I've supported the Mariners for 10 years so it was a dream come true. When I was seven or eight they had a clinic down here and from there they were the first team I started supporting.

"I’ve always been a big fan over the the years and even know they've had a rough patch recently, you've got to stay loyal."

Katsoulis played his junior soccer with Belnorth before switching to Gungahlin United and then moving into the Canberra United academy system.

He's always wanted to play professionally but admitted there were doubts after missing selection in the now defunct FFA Centre of Excellence in 2016.

"After playing in the National Training Centre challenge tournament and scoring 10 goals in six games I was pretty confident, but then I didn't get picked for the AIS," Katsoulis said.

"I definitely had my doubts but I always had coaches and family who believed in me.

"It’s just about putting in the hard work, you can't give up, I remember when I didn't make the AIS I just kept pushing and had positive people around me saying don't give up.

"They said you've still got it and there will always be another opportunity. You've got to commit 100 per cent and take your opportunities when they come and I did."

Canberra's best soccer exports have seen plenty of success lately, with Carl Valeri and Nikolai Topor-Stanley squaring off in the A-League grand final earlier this month.

Tom Rogic has just signed a new five-year deal with Celtic FC, while teenager Leo Mazis joined the Scottish powerhouse earlier this year.

Katsoulis wants to follow in their footsteps to Europe, but said his current focus is breaking into the Mariners top team and making his mark in the A-League.

"The dream is to play in Europe one day but I always wanted to start in Australia first, so everything is playing out well," Katsoulis said.

"But the hard work starts now, I need to forget about any success I've had in Canberra and just work even harder at Central Coast.

"Me and Leo are good mates so I’m happy that he’s over at Celtic and now I’m going up to the Central Coast, it's pretty cool the way it's worked out."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...h-central-coast-mariners-20180517-p4zfuj.html

pjennings

Canberra Olympic star Nick Faust signs with Central Coast Mariners

Canberra Olympic star Nick Faust has become the second ACT player signed by the Central Coast Mariners in as many weeks.

Faust will join former Canberra United teammate and Gungahlin United winger Mikey Katsoulis as part of the Mariners' National Youth League team.

Faust trialled at Celtic FC last October alongside fellow Canberran Leo Mazis, who was signed, and after missing out at the Scottish powerhouse he was determined to join an A-League club.

The 18-year-old left Tuggeranong United to play under Frank Cachia at Olympic this season and the move has paid dividends for the young defender.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...h-central-coast-mariners-20180526-p4zhot.html

joe bailey

I watched the U20's and first grade on Sunday. My one criticism with the 20's is there too many boys doing too many touches on the ball and not moving it on quick enough which in turn puts pressure on other players hence the loss. More often than not, one touch play is a lot better. Apart from that, we should have won. Just my observations.

FFC Mariner

I watched the U20's and first grade on Sunday. My one criticism with the 20's is there too many boys doing too many touches on the ball and not moving it on quick enough which in turn puts pressure on other players hence the loss. More often than not, one touch play is a lot better. Apart from that, we should have won. Just my observations.

Peak curriculum. Never miss an opportunity to pass backwards and do stepovers
Watch CCU and see you players who lift their heads and play forward

Yoda

Is there any chance you could highlight for me the section in the National Curriculum that mentions passing backwards and doing stepovers? It seems the curriculum gets a pretty bad rap from people that have never read it.

joe bailey

CCM academy actually CAN play very good football and I have seen it. On this particular weekend, as I said, too many touches putting pressure on players in space, hence imo, the loss. Plenty of shots on goal just unlucky in that department. Probably all part of development!

FFC Mariner

Is there any chance you could highlight for me the section in the National Curriculum that mentions passing backwards and doing stepovers? It seems the curriculum gets a pretty bad rap from people that have never read it.

As I've read it, I can only assume you are referring to some other people?
The Dutch system has failed utterly. Football now follows the St George model of look up and play forward. Pace and power.
As evidenced by how the Dutch have become irrelevant and their disciples (for example Okon) are unemployed and Australia now produces tricky wingers with zero end product and AM's with no end product.

Last edited:

Josho Howe

Pretty simple task to look up how the FFA wants teams to play. Possession based with patient build up. Direct is frowned upon so when there's no option going forward, you don't try a risky pass, you just play it back. It's what l would call 'boring, no risk football' which gets no one anywhere.

Here's a link - http://www.ffacoachingresource.com.au/about-the-curriculum/ffas-playing-philosophy/

FFC Mariner

I'm guessing that next season's CCM squad won't be hugely better than Okons spoon winners.

However, MM won't play the mindlessly dull and unproductive rubbish that Okon demanded. As a result, we will fulfil rule #1of football. "Be hard to beat"
The FFA curriculum simply doesn't suit the Australian mentality

Yoda

Pretty simple task to look up how the FFA wants teams to play. Possession based with patient build up. Direct is frowned upon so when there's no option going forward, you don't try a risky pass, you just play it back. It's what l would call 'boring, no risk football' which gets no one anywhere.

Here's a link - http://www.ffacoachingresource.com.au/about-the-curriculum/ffas-playing-philosophy/
It’s simple to read one or two phrases out of context. No where does it say that direct is not an option. It takes the two extreme examples of “possession based” or “direct play” and says;

In itself, there is nothing wrong with the more physical ‘direct play’ style of football, as historically some teams and countries have had a certain amount of success with it, but is it the right playing style for us to adopt if our aim is to challenge the best in the world?’”

It then goes on to say;

Possession alone is not the key

“Possession is not an end in itself: it is a means to an end. What is the point in keeping possession in your own half for minutes on end, if there is no end product? The only statistic that matters is the scoreline!

What appears to be the difference with the really successful teams is how possession leads to scoring chances.”

And furthermore;

“A key factor in defeating the ‘block’ is creativity. Teams need to have skilful individuals who can ‘pick the lock’ and find a way through the tight defences.

As well as creative individuals, teams also need quick and clever combination play. This involves two or more players working together to produce unpredictable inter-passing and mobility in order to penetrate the ‘block’

Australia must work to develop more players like these in order to improve performance.”

So for all the anti-curriculum nay-sayers, after plenty of read throughs I still can’t for the life of me find where it says we must “pass backwards and do step overs”.

But hey “peak curriculum”.

Gratis

The difference is, as always, how any given coach chooses to interpret and translate their perspective of the curriculum onto the field

Insertnamehere

It’s simple to read one or two phrases out of context. No where does it say that direct is not an option. It takes the two extreme examples of “possession based” or “direct play” and says;

In itself, there is nothing wrong with the more physical ‘direct play’ style of football, as historically some teams and countries have had a certain amount of success with it, but is it the right playing style for us to adopt if our aim is to challenge the best in the world?’”

It then goes on to say;

Possession alone is not the key

“Possession is not an end in itself: it is a means to an end. What is the point in keeping possession in your own half for minutes on end, if there is no end product? The only statistic that matters is the scoreline!

What appears to be the difference with the really successful teams is how possession leads to scoring chances.”

And furthermore;

“A key factor in defeating the ‘block’ is creativity. Teams need to have skilful individuals who can ‘pick the lock’ and find a way through the tight defences.

As well as creative individuals, teams also need quick and clever combination play. This involves two or more players working together to produce unpredictable inter-passing and mobility in order to penetrate the ‘block’

Australia must work to develop more players like these in order to improve performance.”

So for all the anti-curriculum nay-sayers, after plenty of read throughs I still can’t for the life of me find where it says we must “pass backwards and do step overs”.

But hey “peak curriculum”.
Yet we do.... Almost without thinking as though it's been browbeaten into us at all levels.

pinklady

Gianni Stensness has apparently joined Wellington's youth set up..
Good luck to him. He left CCMA by choice after the NYL and before the NPL started so he could play at Manly, concentrate on his studies and not have to move to the Coast. He was an outstanding student (high 90s ATAR) and didn't want the inconvenience of travelling to train or travelling to study every day. He only played a handful of 1st grade games with Manly this year, mainly being in the 20s. He has a NZ grandparent (as well as Australian and Italian) so it could be a good long term move - although he has a history of moving on after short stays.
Wellington also made two of our current NYL players an offer to move across the ditch as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred