• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 20 - Adelaide v CCM @ Coopers

true believer

We need celtic today .
Then beg patty to comeback as directer of football.
And monty to run the show till we can find a coach . Maybe if ernie merrick has a brother .

true believer

If it is eating you up it is better to bring it out in the open. You are among friends.

When things are going pear shaped the main purpose of a fan forum is goo feasting.

Come on, spill the beans and let us all revel in them.

Ann margert umm just what every 15 year old wanted

Forum Phoenix

I used to agree that the striker position was the problem but I don't think it is anymore.
It's our system. We just don't, and probably never will, have the players for it.

We get into or close to the box regularly. Where about 10 defenders are waiting to shut us down. What we are asking for is a player that can then pry open that maze and create a goal. We are just not going to get a Messi quality player in the A-League who is capable of this several times every game.
Why? Our system slows down our attack. We get the ball, pass it around prettily, the opposition defence organises itself and THEN we try and crack through it. We've only really scored this year off fast transition play. Look at all of our best goals.
Having to crack set defences is beyond our midfielders and will be beyond the majority of strikers we could afford.

In any good team your striker scores a bunch and the mids add the equivalent between them. Even with a great striker who could score in this system our mids can't score. We still fall short of the requisite goals for the season.

So, to reiterate - it's our system. We just don't, and probably never will, have the players for it. This is on the coach to adjust to.
If he doesn't - the buck stops with him.

Great post Gratis. The only caveat I’d say is that this is not actually an either or and our striker is also very much a major issue - given we’ve failed to convert most of our transition based attacks as well, and to be fair, if we had we’d almost certainly be in a decent position on the table.

Also we don’t have anyone who is dangerous outside of the box, or even just at the top of it. I expect any good striker to consistently be able to threaten from there and we’ve had a lot of time in that territory.

But yes. Otherwise. I’ve actually been trying to say about our system what you just said for awhile - but not as clearly.

My concern was we weren’t even trying to break down the opposition the way that you have to when they’re getting back behind the ball. Just like you say.

Imo if we’d put TBT or another fast striker up front when we had Pain and Kubi on the wings and just played counter attacking football as you suggest, we’d have been a lot more successful.

But not going to pretend, I really did love what Paolo was trying to build for awhile. What he knew, he seemed to know and do very well, but it has not been enough. Inflexible, stubborn, and despite our lack of quality in the front third, he and Jolic just cannot be skilled in training or developing an attack if you consider how little improvement we have shown despite encountering the same problems week after week.

He and Jolic were not able to respond. And I’d cut them a lot of slack as I was) if I could just have seen the players trying to make the triangles or little lobs and shooting outside the box and just whipping in good percentage balls into the right area and it wasn’t coming off... but they have not. Instead we’ve just seen the ball get endlessly recycled if there’s no obvious way forward. On balance, worst attacking side I’ve seen in a long time in the HAL.

Last edited:

Wombat

To follow on from the above, I have also just learned that Okon had a full on crack at landing the WSW job after Popa upped and left (apparently he and Tsatsimas are pretty friendly), so why should MC (or any of us for that matter) show him any loyalty?

I could say much more but I would no doubt be accused of being on a crusade or being pissed that Okon ran over my cat. I have only exposed the tip of the iceberg on this thread and to be honest it is eating me up to be so negative.

We need a new coach, someone who cares as much about the club as we do, or at the very least understands the dynamics at play. Can MC not reach out to someone like Hutch or even Monty? Yes they are novice coaches but let’s not forget so was Okon when he was signed. Hutch just got promoted to head coach of Seattle’s S2 team, so he must be doing something right over there and if anyone understands the Mariners’ culture he would.

Not Hutcho yet.

We need a fair dinkum experienced 1st team coach like Newcastle grabbed this year and Monty would make a fantastic assistant.
Draft in Dutchy like TB suggested and that would do me.

Big Al

Me starts to wonder if maybe it's the club holding off on extending Okon's contract

Poor results being one thing, but also if he tried to jump ship mid-contract they may not be pleased with that either
Not sure.
If we didn’t want him now is the time to pull the trigger as the results and appearance of effort are horrible but the team has improved at the back, but the front half is horrible but the squad is halfway through its rejuvenation. The tactics and loosing the midfield against 10men and being destroyed on the wings is a disgrace.

If he was extended it could only be 1 year.

Certainly have the feeling something is a miss. Has he already said he’s leaving, have we said your not being renewed?

There is something at play but what? Paul’s sideline attitude has certainly changed and as I’ve said previously there is the same stink as Roy.

Also Arnie is yet to be officially given the Socceroos job which is supposed to be a given. Interesting times

Forum Phoenix

The second half and the way we faded was hard to watch but the team running around in the first half looked better than I'd seen in several months.

Did we get complacent, do we lack the mental fortitude to close out 90'? I don't know what it is but as OH suggests it seems deep-rooted

Yeah I agree - though we still looked like we had no one who knew how to score. And yes, It’s why I’ve moved off the fence on Okon. Have to follow the evidence where it leads. Way too much smoke in the air now.

And obvious shit like his change of sideline passion etc.

Have seen a lot of axe grinders, doomsayers and rumour mongers on this forum over the years that we’ve fought off on here, but OZH really does not strike me as one and I think made his case about as well as you could expect anyone to without revealing sources.

I still believe you’re throwing any coach under the bus if you don’t give them adequate resources. But he’s had his chance and at best he’s gone into his shell and proven he is tactically limited and inflexible.

And at worst sounds very bad indeed.

I think the fans deserve some serious commitment if they are to be persuaded why they should enrol for what might be half a decade of dross next season.

So Okon out for me.

Last edited:

Wombat

Yeah I agree - though we still looked like we had no one who knew how to score. And yes, It’s why I’ve moved off the fence on Okon. Have to follow the evidence where it leads. Way too much smoke in the air now.

And obvious shit like his change of sideline passion etc.

Have seen a lot of axe grinders, doomsayers and rumour mongers on this forum over the years that we’ve fought off on here, but OZH really does not strike me as one and I think made his case about as well as you could expect anyone to without revealing sources.

I still believe you’re throwing any coach under the bus if you don’t give them adequate resources. But he’s had his chance and at best he’s gone into his shell and proven he is tactically limited and inflexible.

And at worst sounds very bad indeed.

I think the fans deserve some serious commitment if they are to be persuaded why they should enrol for what might be half a decade of dross next season.

Okon our from me.

Hmm I sat next to OZH during a preseason game and while he definately knows his football he is quite set in his ways and appears to dislike certain players for whatever reason.....mainly coz they are shit lol. He appearred to me to not be an Okon fan from back then. I'm suggested there could be some history.
Again i'm not willing to hang Okon until after the next 2 games. If we can't beat NZ and Perth then he doesn't deserve a job.
Also again i blame MC as i'm sure he told Okon....get someone good as your assitant from the NPL who is willing to work for 100k pa.....not go out and get the best assistant out there.

style_cafe

That was exactly my position until the weekend style. And it’s nice to see someone holding out hope, but what do you make of Ozhammers info and also Okon recent lack of passion?

Also I really struggle with his comments that the problem against AU was we’ve forgotten how to win. Lot of irony there as a coaches defence against why they lost.

But I think he just thinks he’s being accurate.

Storms blunders, missing goals and unforced errors have nothing to do with ‘having forgotten how to win’ though.

Thanks FP.
With regard & due respect to OZhammer,he has really only stated an opinion (at this stage) & hasn`t really backed up his claims with hard evidence. Albeit some of his claims (I suspect) have an air of truth in them.

That`s why I say the coaching position for next year has to be sorted immediately.
By this stage, the club has to be either happy with Okon`s performance or disappointed.
They can either have a chat to him about their concerns & try to help him improve or they can cut him like they would anyone else.

Let`s not pretend here, there are a lot of coaches out there looking for a chance to coach in the A league.

If Okon has been approached by Sydney FC one would hope he would be professional enough to carry on without letting it hinder him.
Okon is human,as are the players. Being so close to a win, so many times this season, only to have it snatched from their grasp would be soul destroying for everyone.Everything about the team at the moment shows that confidence is low, even with PO & Jolic.
We can all feel it.
A win against the NIX will lift us,another against the Glory will give us hope.
Failure against both teams will give us the spoon & most probably would kill any chance of PO ever coaching in the league again.
Okon has as much to loose as anyone here.

We should be back to full strength this week,so hopefully we see something like:-
Kennedy
McGing Baro Golec Rose snr (I wish Rowles was fit)
Wout Melling
Hoole DDS Hairy
Skapetis
Bench: Pain, Posco, TBT, Glover
I`d also look at using Pain at the point if Skapetis is exhausted.

My instructions would be quick,safe, transitions going for goal as soon as we enter the attacking third.
Wide players to attack the by-line where possible with cut backs to DDS, Melling, Hoole

Colin Phelps

Hmm I sat next to OZH during a preseason game and while he definately knows his football he is quite set in his ways and appears to dislike certain players for whatever reason.....mainly coz they are shit lol. He appearred to me to not be an Okon fan from back then. I'm suggested there could be some history.
Again i'm not willing to hang Okon until after the next 2 games. If we can't beat NZ and Perth then he doesn't deserve a job.
Also again i blame MC as i'm sure he told Okon....get someone good as your assitant from the NPL who is willing to work for 100k pa.....not go out and get the best assistant out there.
Are the next two games really going to be the litmus test for whether Okon stays or not? In previous seasons we would hang our heads in dismay if we could not account for and beat a team running 8th or 10th (even given we are on the same points as the 10th placed team).

Wombat

Not for the last 4 seasons Colin Im sad to say.

Okon has more couching ability than Tony and Moss but something is going to shit right now so if he can't pull 2 wins out of the bag against the dross of the league (Perth have a few players i would love to have...Nix have none) he doesn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt and another season.

Wombat

I just watched an interview with Leeds fresh faced new manger Paul Heckingbottom where Leeds legend Eddie Grey tried to guide him during his interview with Dolly Parton (lol). He was so spot on and focussed and made my heart sing when he talked about players hiding.
Very impressive interview I thought. He's got f**k all pedigree but we poached him from Barnsley so he must have impressed those in the know.
He actually reminded me a bit of Paul in the early days before he became "moss like" in his summations.

Ozhammer

I am gonna open this post by firstly apologising to anyone who may have been upset by what I have posted on this thread, that was never my intention.

Let me also make it clear that I love this club and desperately want it to be a success and to see it representing our beautiful region with pride and passion.

I also don’t really overly care if we have the least finacial clout of any HAL team, provided the team plays with committment and a never say die attitude.

I am fortunate enough to be very engaged with the game having coached and played for over 20 years and know a great number of good football people. I can say that I have no history with Paolo and completely agree that he is a step up from Moss and Walmsley, who were both talking the talk but not able to walk the walk and as we all know, actions speak louder than words.

I can see the improvement on the field and whilst I am critical of our coach’s limited flexibility and at times, naivety, he is still learning his craft, so we can’t expect him to be perfect. Arnie made his own share of errors but he learned from each one and worked out how to correct them.

I get that some folks will be concerned that my attacks (as some will see them) are part of an agenda and I will admit that they are. I believe that our club simply cannot afford to have a coach that allows such a poor team culture, when we are supposedly the smallest team with the biggest heart. I am also gravely concerned that he is seemingly determined to shut out anyone around him that threatens his absolute authority. Given our limited resources, he can’t afford to leave any stone unturned in the pursuit of our goals. He also can’t afford not to have the entire football department backing him up 110% and yet he is isolating individual players and holding others at arm’s length.

I know from personal experience that if your playing group don’t buy in to your plan fully and you aren’t able to convince them of its validity, you can never achieve any kind of success. Our team currently show all the signs of a group who know Plan A is deeply flawed and that there is no Plan B.

I am not going to fan the embers any further and will let people make up there own mind about the worth of my comments but I will just reiterate that I am a true fan that wishes only the best for our club both now and in the future.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I'm not in the Okon out camp yet but I would suggest he dumps Jolic for a far better Football brain. Someone like Ian Crook would good.
A fine piece of lateral thinking Wombat...now if we can just convince him

Gratis

I also don’t really overly care if we have the least financial clout of any HAL team, provided the team plays with committment and a never say die attitude
100%. If we were where we are now but still had the spirit of old I'd still be Mr optimistic

Wombat

Marc Warren is a very poor player but he can actually defend sometimes. Clumsy and crude but understands the basics tenets of the art of defending. Storm has far more talent but far less of a clue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami