• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R4: WSW v CCM @ Spotless

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

He is a KDFRA referee which is my local association and fellow ref. I thought he had a half decent game in the FFA Cup and with the current rules there is no right or wrong decision with the off side rule. Muscat is a tool and is really struggling to handle the V being out played twice and now second fiddle. I've heard the refs have been told to pull up less free kicks and hand out less cards to make the game flow better and hopefully be faster and more entertaining. With last weekend and the FFA Cup you have to agree they are letting a lot more go than usual, TV money has a hell of lot of influence and the more we get the more it will dictate how the game is run. (Double edged sword). And I also agree with Evans on the call to allow Battens goal but I expect opposition to this decision. But as mentioned the current rules allow this amount of doubt so not his fault and he made is own judgement call which has to be commended because it would not have been easy in that game.

The offside was a tough one....I think just from his angle it may have looked like Cahill didn't block the view of the kick. The problem with fewer cards is that it really does encourage more dangerous play - if we have more FKs and cards than another league then perhaps that's because the players need it. I also see plenty of stuff on our field that doesn't get a twitch from the ref that would be an easy card in the EPL. I tend to think fewer FKs and cards increases inconsistency, frustrating and players killing the game, but that's an argument for another time :p

I think it was clearly the wrong decision given Cahill blocked the keeper's view, but not sure that either of the officials could see that with certainty. You would want to be absolute certain to disallow the goal - just because the AR raised his flag doesn't mean he's absolutely certain it's a FK. It's just telling the ref there was a potential offside infringement.

Though the AR should know better than the have an MV player leaning in to hear him talk to the ref!!!

I though the final goal had a good case for offside as well for the same reason. But that's on the AR, not the ref.

Muscat....god, will he ever NOT be a disgrace? Okon gets warned over absolutely nothing, Muscat storms up to halfway (out of his technical area), abuses the ref and an opposing player, nothing. Referees are terrified of this cowardly idiot. At least the FFA have cited him for his post-match comments.

Man I love watching MCY beat them!!!

JoyfulPenguin

The offside was a tough one....I think just from his angle it may have looked like Cahill didn't block the view of the kick. The problem with fewer cards is that it really does encourage more dangerous play - if we have more FKs and cards than another league then perhaps that's because the players need it. I also see plenty of stuff on our field that doesn't get a twitch from the ref that would be an easy card in the EPL. I tend to think fewer FKs and cards increases inconsistency, frustrating and players killing the game, but that's an argument for another time :p

I think it was clearly the wrong decision given Cahill blocked the keeper's view, but not sure that either of the officials could see that with certainty. You would want to be absolute certain to disallow the goal - just because the AR raised his flag doesn't mean he's absolutely certain it's a FK. It's just telling the ref there was a potential offside infringement.

Though the AR should know better than the have an MV player leaning in to hear him talk to the ref!!!

I though the final goal had a good case for offside as well for the same reason. But that's on the AR, not the ref.

Muscat....god, will he ever NOT be a disgrace? Okon gets warned over absolutely nothing, Muscat storms up to halfway (out of his technical area), abuses the ref and an opposing player, nothing. Referees are terrified of this cowardly idiot. At least the FFA have cited him for his post-match comments.

Man I love watching MCY beat them!!!
How he has the nerve to do it considering what he did as a player.This is a man who threatened to break a 17 year old debutants legs if he ran past him and ruined the career of a rising star with his last ever act as a player. He is the only person I will ever boo or heckle, he is a simply disgusting human being who hopefully will get his much deserved comeuppance this season.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

There aren't strong enough emoticons to show my agreeance. But he was always touted as a hard man - he's anything but.

Blokes like Hutcho, he'll take a man out, put a hit on him and make him regret putting boots on. But you'll see hutcho coming, you have a chance to prepare, he'll put his body into it and if you're not tough enough to resist you'll stay down.
Muscat? He's not that brave. He'll throw an elbow in your face when you're not looking, or leap at you studs first nowhere near the ball. He puts the cheap hits on that you have no chance against.

Hard man? I always thought he was the biggest coward in the game. But referees were all too terrified to do anything to him - and no different as coach. Abuses them for 90min, nothing. Okon queries one thing, gets a warning.

f*** me, I still smile when I remember when Heff dropped him. One of the most beautiful moments in the game. I'd watch a DVD of that on loop for 90minutes. Heck, I'd pay Hoyts exorbitant pricing to watch it in cinema on repeat for 90min!!

Wombat

There aren't strong enough emoticons to show my agreeance. But he was always touted as a hard man - he's anything but.

Blokes like Hutcho, he'll take a man out, put a hit on him and make him regret putting boots on. But you'll see hutcho coming, you have a chance to prepare, he'll put his body into it and if you're not tough enough to resist you'll stay down.
Muscat? He's not that brave. He'll throw an elbow in your face when you're not looking, or leap at you studs first nowhere near the ball. He puts the cheap hits on that you have no chance against.

Hard man? I always thought he was the biggest coward in the game. But referees were all too terrified to do anything to him - and no different as coach. Abuses them for 90min, nothing. Okon queries one thing, gets a warning.

f*** me, I still smile when I remember when Heff dropped him. One of the most beautiful moments in the game. I'd watch a DVD of that on loop for 90minutes. Heck, I'd pay Hoyts exorbitant pricing to watch it in cinema on repeat for 90min!!

My favourite Muscat moment was FA cup semi final v Sunderland when they were out to get him. Several late and robust challenges on Muscat were the entre followed up by a terrible McAteer tackle that put him out so the rest of the season and made him miss an FA Cup final. As he writhed on the ground they gave him a spray, which wasn't nice, especially as at the time I thought he had broken his leg.
But Muscat was hated and deserved to taste his own medicine that afternoon.

true believer

Defi
How he has the nerve to do it considering what he did as a player.This is a man who threatened to break a 17 year old debutants legs if he ran past him and ruined the career of a rising star with his last ever act as a player. He is the only person I will ever boo or heckle, he is a simply disgusting human being who hopefully will get his much deserved comeuppance this season.
Always gets nothing but a muskrat out of me

nebakke

Heh... I guess I hadn't really paid attention but I just realised that, if we could beat Wanderers by 2 or more this weekend, we're a good chance of getting into the top 6, assuming Brisbane lose to Perff and Adelaide lose to MV ;) SURELY, together with Monty's birthday, they can't need much more motivation than all of that!? :)

nebakke

Thanks Nebbake, but now I`m not sure whether " he hit himself" or "he shit hisself"....:popcorn:

Haha! DYAC!!! That was supposed to say "hurt" :-D but we can pretend he shat hisself if you want...
That's assuming you were talking to me cos I dunno who nebbake is ;-):overheadl:

bikinigirl

Continuing on the R3 theme...

It might just be me, but I think we're going to have to think hard about the structure of our midfield.

Tavares has shown himself to be a very useful 'quarterback', but I think Powell is going to have to be more available and Monty's gonna have to use the ball better.

Our forward three has been disconnected from the rest of the side *except* when we've been able to either hit an 'out' ball to the wings and hit on the counter *or* we've been able to create an overload through a winger coming in and the fullback overlapping.

Most of the time when we're getting the ball wide, it feels like the pass is from a deeper area. We're unable to get effective forward passes from the centre of the field or beyond.

I can't help but feel like an experiment may be on the cards if that doesn't change soon, where perhaps we change shape a little bit to have two 10s rather than two 6s (and work out the defensive structure to suit) or even a diamond 4-4-2, or we swap Monty out for Rose or even Berry to take advantage of his better ball-playing. You're deliberately sacrificing some defensive stiffness, but if we don't score we don't win, no matter what.

. thanks Dibo, I'm glad it is not just me ... I think part of our problem is our glut of DMs. The 4-3-3 - whether in theory or practice - provides very little to link our defence with attack ... considering our personnel it creates a big void in the middle. this leads to more passing amongst the back four searching for that link

. if we take a step back to the end of last season - you can see that we have made progress, but i think that actually hides some of the issues because progress can be seen. perhaps if we took half a step back on Okon's development path we may be able to build a little more confidence (and results?) on the park

. we finished last season with a midfield of Garcia, Rosebud and Monty ... so our highest paid player ever, our mariners medal winner and our captain and CCMOSC player of the year. but in reality what we had was a geriatriac, a star in the making and a leader who injured himself via over-exertion in the first half of the season and then carried injury through the second half

. coupled with this we had two wingers in the front three that had no reverse gear and no interest in defending. so we had a back four struggling, our two 'best' players doing more than their fair share of the work as the midfield and a front four with no interest in helping out

. with the signing of Tavares we started this season with three DMs that are 'first eleven' (Tav, Rosebud and Monty). last weekend we were still without Rosebud but Monty and Tavares were subbed off for Berry and another new recruit in Galloway. and that doesn't even consider the various others that people think are, or could be, DMs (from Harry and McGing to Neil, Posco, Peterson, etc)

. the opportunity to see the boys play live on the weekend showed:
  • Tavares dropping deep between the CBs to receive the ball (the often criticised Hutch role under Arnie)
  • Powell playing as a 'false 9' (correct me if that is the wrong terminology, but i often observed him sitting just behind RoyO)
  • leaving Monty as the (ahem ... ball playing) link between defence and attack. McGlinchey could pull this off (turn, dribble, etc) under Arnie but with Monty it is unfair on everybody
  • in attack our wingers are very quickly forward ... and wide
  • so we are often spread too quickly and Monty has the responsibility of hitting the most accurate of passes as we transition and he pushes forward ... no wonder people are criticising his form or the ball is moved away from him
. i will be interested to see how we line up this weekend:
  • surely Galloway was not signed as another DM
  • Rosebud's return actually creates one of those selection headaches coaches are meant to crave
  • our formation (and personnel in that formation) has made us a little predictable ... in that way, not dissimilar to last year - push the ball wide and use our speed
  • that often leads to RoyO being isolated in the centre (side note: Powell 'arriving late' has been a good sign - providing support and another option rather than just 'pushing the line')
. without trying to mess with the line-up, formation and Okon's vision too much, perhaps:
  • Galloway in for Neill (but I admit that Scott's cameo last weekend was the first time I have 'observed' him)
  • Rosebud in for Powell
  • have Pain and Fabio (or Trent) play a little deeper and a little narrower - this may improve the options in transition and break-up the opposition's defence from a flat back four while also allowing our backs to overlap more effectively
  • Powell can be brought in at any time to add another dimension to the attack once a solid foundation has been laid
. sorry that got a bit long :oops:

ballantyne

. thanks Dibo, I'm glad it is not just me ... I think part of our problem is our glut of DMs. The 4-3-3 - whether in theory or practice - provides very little to link our defence with attack ... considering our personnel it creates a big void in the middle. this leads to more passing amongst the back four searching for that link

. if we take a step back to the end of last season - you can see that we have made progress, but i think that actually hides some of the issues because progress can be seen. perhaps if we took half a step back on Okon's development path we may be able to build a little more confidence (and results?) on the park

. we finished last season with a midfield of Garcia, Rosebud and Monty ... so our highest paid player ever, our mariners medal winner and our captain and CCMOSC player of the year. but in reality what we had was a geriatriac, a star in the making and a leader who injured himself via over-exertion in the first half of the season and then carried injury through the second half

. coupled with this we had two wingers in the front three that had no reverse gear and no interest in defending. so we had a back four struggling, our two 'best' players doing more than their fair share of the work as the midfield and a front four with no interest in helping out

. with the signing of Tavares we started this season with three DMs that are 'first eleven' (Tav, Rosebud and Monty). last weekend we were still without Rosebud but Monty and Tavares were subbed off for Berry and another new recruit in Galloway. and that doesn't even consider the various others that people think are, or could be, DMs (from Harry and McGing to Neil, Posco, Peterson, etc)

• Tavares dropping deep between the CBs to receive the ball (the often criticised Hutch role under Arnie)
  • Powell playing as a 'false 9' (correct me if that is the wrong terminology, but i often observed him sitting just behind RoyO)
  • leaving Monty as the (ahem ... ball playing) link between defence and attack. McGlinchey could pull this off (turn, dribble, etc) under Arnie but with Monty it is unfair on everybody
  • so we are often spread too quickly and Monty has the responsibility of hitting the most accurate of passes as we transition and he pushes forward ... no wonder people are criticising his form or the ball is moved away from him
  • Rosebud's return actually creates one of those selection headaches coaches are meant to crave
  • our formation (and personnel in that formation) has made us a little predictable ... in that way, not dissimilar to last year - push the ball wide and use our speed
  • that often leads to RoyO being isolated in the centre (side note: Powell 'arriving late' has been a good sign - providing support and another option rather than just 'pushing the line')
. without trying to mess with the line-up, formation and Okon's vision too much, perhaps:
  • Galloway in for Neill (but I admit that Scott's cameo last weekend was the first time I have 'observed' him)
  • Rosebud in for Powell
  • have Pain and Fabio (or Trent) play a little deeper and a little narrower - this may improve the options in transition and break-up the opposition's defence from a flat back four while also allowing our backs to overlap more effectively
  • Powell can be brought in at any time to add another dimension to the attack once a solid foundation has been laid
I feel Powell is playing too high for the formation behind him. If some of those extra midfielders are available, I'd like to see someone sitting deeper.

Wombat

• Rosebud in for Powell

Good post Bikini.

Galloway is a fullback and the replacement for Adelson. I expect to see him start at LB.

One of the midfield is carrying an injury so he may not start. So Rosebud may come into the middle or could replace Powell who I didn't see on the training ground.

Big Al

Ahead of the Central Coast Mariners’ round four clash against the Western Sydney Wanderers Paul Okon said his side need to be more “ruthless” in attack.
After three matches (including two away from home) Okon’s side have shown that keeping possession is not an issue and focus now shifts to capitalising on those chances.

Creating chances and using pace to push forward has been a crucial part to the Mariners’ game in the opening three rounds but Okon says that his side need to start putting away their opportunities.

“In attack we certainly have the firepower but there’s been two games now where we haven’t scored and created the chances,” Okon said. “I’d be really concerned if we weren’t doing that but on the flipside we need to be ruthless, we need to convert them and that changes football games.

“It’s important that we keep using the ball well and showing personality when we have the ball,” Okon said.

After a narrow loss against Brisbane Roar at home, the Mariners have worked hard on the training track to rectify individual errors that have let them down in the opening stages of the competition.

“We’ve had a good week of training and we’re disappointed about parts of our game against the Roar which we have tried to rectify during the week,” Okon said. “We know we need to be really alert in all aspects when we have the ball.

“When we don’t have the ball the Wanderers are a top team and we need to make sure we are able to be disciplined and that everyone does their job.

“Concentration and decision making are two key aspects that have lets us down, the players are aware of it and they’re disappointed because we feel that we should have a bit more on the scoreboard to show but that’s the way it works.

“Certainly at this level if you make a couple of mistakes there’s a big chance that you’re going to get punished and that’s really what’s happened to us in the first three games so we need to be on top of that.

Okon, who’s team boasts the best possession statistics in the Hyundai A-League 2016/17 season also said that team selection will always be based on form, not name.

“For me it’s not about your number, the name on your shirt or the size of your contract it’s about who’s fit, who’s working hard and who shows they want to be in the team and we have some really good young players,” Okon said. “I think the secret is finding the right mix of youth and experience so that everyone out there is 100% committed and 100% up for it because in the A-League you can’t afford to have passengers.

“I think last week everyone saw a glimpse of what Scotty [Galloway] can do and it’s not a surprise to me, moving forward for us he’s a very valuable asset. Traditionally he plays in a fullback position but I’ve also used him as a six with the Young Socceroos and that’s where he came on, on Saturday and did very well.

“He’s definitely in line for a start and I’m sure he will bring something to the team.

Read more at http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...r7p9o69mgh661d8dfzvzvnp6n#5UWWmQtGfZr6BlZZ.99

Big Al

Bikini close your eyes

“I think last week everyone saw a glimpse of what Scotty [Galloway] can do and it’s not a surprise to me, moving forward for us he’s a very valuable asset. Traditionally he plays in a fullback position but I’ve also used him as a six with the Young Socceroos and that’s where he came on, on Saturday and did very well.

Big Al

I think the Powell experiment needs more time. We want everything fixed in a week it's just not going to happen.

Powell had great positioning in the FFA cup and was most threatening (under TW I know).

He was also in the perfect spot if Roy could have hit a cut back.

His link up has been ok.

For a striker he has done well just needs quite a few games to get comfortable as the others need to with him

Big Al

Rosebud didn't get as much game time as he wanted with YS and isn't as match fit as you'd expect and has missed a lot training with PO.

Bench at best for a week or two.

Galloway would be my only change.

We need continuity while learning the new system

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

y'know, we could wind up in 5th after this weekend.....

http://www.ccmariners.com.au/article/okon-we-need-to-be-ruthless/r7p9o69mgh661d8dfzvzvnp6n.

Ahead of the Central Coast Mariners’ round four clash against the Western Sydney Wanderers Paul Okon says his side need to be more “ruthless” in attack.
Creating chances and using pace to push forward has been a crucial part to the Mariners’ game in the opening three rounds but Okon says that his side need to start putting away their opportunities.

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...kwvv6hvkoazc1f3ic1k53qhxw#ye5t0ZUt2bRS5UmB.99
“In attack we certainly have the firepower but there’s been two games now where we haven’t scored and created the chances,” Okon said. “I’d be really concerned if we weren’t doing that but on the flipside we need to be ruthless, we need to convert them and that changes football games.

“It’s important that we keep using the ball well and showing personality when we have the ball,” Okon said.

After a narrow loss against Brisbane Roar at home, the Mariners have worked hard on the training track to rectify individual errors that have let them down in the opening stages of the competition.

“We’ve had a good week of training and we’re disappointed about parts of our game against the Roar which we have tried to rectify during the week,” Okon said. “We know we need to be really alert in all aspects when we have the ball.

“When we don’t have the ball the Wanderers are a top team and we need to make sure we are able to be disciplined and that everyone does their job.

“Concentration and decision making are two key aspects that have lets us down, the players are aware of it and they’re disappointed because we feel that we should have a bit more on the scoreboard to show but that’s the way it works.

“Certainly at this level if you make a couple of mistakes there’s a big chance that you’re going to get punished and that’s really what’s happened to us in the first three games so we need to be on top of that.

Okon, who’s team boasts the best possession statistics in the Hyundai A-League 2016/17 season also said that team selection will always be based on form, not name.

“For me it’s not about your number, the name on your shirt or the size of your contract it’s about who’s fit, who’s working hard and who shows they want to be in the team and we have some really good young players,” Okon said.

“I think the secret is finding the right mix of youth and experience so that everyone out there is 100% committed and 100% up for it because in the A-League you can’t afford to have passengers.

“He’s definitely in line for a start and I’m sure he will bring something to the team."

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...kwvv6hvkoazc1f3ic1k53qhxw#ye5t0ZUt2bRS5UmB.99

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred