• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebakke

Wait... Whuuuu?

Is it just nyt bleary morning eyes?
The article days the list is definitely down to two, with Dickow, Herbert, Mori and Vidmar still in the frame?
What sort of definition of the number two are we working with here?

Gratis

Two remain in race for Mariners top job
It’s understood that one of applicants is from overseas – possibly ex-Manchester City striker Paul Dickov – and the other is a local coach, with the trio of Tony Vidmar, Damian Mori and Ricki Herbert thought to all be in the frame.

Storrie is keen to make an appointment soon with the Mariners to kick off their A-League season away to Perth Glory on October 8th.

Dickov looms as one of six contenders for Mariners coach job
Speculation is rife that former Premier League star Paul Dickov is a contender for the Central Coast Mariners' coaching job, despite his underwhelming record as a manager in the United Kingdom.

When contacted by The World Game on Thursday, Storrie was unwilling to confirm the identity of the two remaining candidates, whittled down from an initial list of over 40 applicants, and a subsequent short-list of six.

Nor was owner Mike Charlesworth, though he hinted heavily that the club's preferred option might already be in the bag and that a second choice was only being considered should the preferred pick fall through at the last minute.

"I can't say who it is but we will get the guy we set out to get from the start," was all he would say.

Scotman Dickov’s emergence as a possible contender has raised some eyebrows in light of his underwhelming coaching record – the 43 year old quit as chief of Oldham Athletic after poor run results and was sacked from his only other gig by Doncaster Rovers.

Former Australia striker Damian Mori, who has been looking for an A-League opportunity for a number of years, has a sound track-reocord in his time spent with South Australian NPL team Adelaide City, while ex-Australia defender Tony Vidmar, who is coach of the Australia Under-17 side, also has strong credentials.

One-time New Zealand coach Herbert has long experience in the A-League with New Zealand Knights and Wellington Phoenix, and is looking for a new opportunity having split with the Maldives.

Former Wellington Phoenix and New Zealand coach Ricki Herbert has thrown his hat into the ring for the Central Coast Mariners job, insisting he can help the club recapture past glories.

A well placed Mariners source said ahead of discussions with the local candidate that a decision would be made imminently to give the new coach a reasonable lead-in time to the new season as the club seeks to purge the nightmare of its the wooden spoon in 2015-2016 after just three wins in 27 games under Walmsley.

“A final decision has not yet been made, but it soon will and there are two contenders remaining.” said the source.

"Things will be resolved before the end of next week."

Having conducted interviews in England, after input from Mariners advisor and former Premier League boss Harry Redknapp and Charlesworth, Storirie will hold discussions with the local candidate in the coming days before making a final call.
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/08/25/two-remain-race-mariners-top-job

Luca Brasi

Betsafe is proud to share with you that ambassadors Harry Redknapp, Alan McInally and Paul Dickov will be live on Facebook throughout the day for Manchester City's big Premier League clash with West Ham at the Etihad Stadium. The footballing trio will be featuring in a fan Q and A on City Square around 15:15 on Sunday the 28th of August and for those that can't make it you can catch their expert opinions on Betsafe Facebook Live.
https://www.betsafe.com/en/blog/spo...ester-city-v-west-ham-match-day-facebook-live

midfielder

I think i'm alone here who thinks Dickov will actually be pretty good. Hudson would still be a first choice and I think Mori could do well.

My logic says this despite what we or some think of MC, he does want us to do well..

He has enough knowledge to understand our league, our team etc.

He appointed a respected if older person to access his coach and have plan B & C in place.

TBH if push comes to shove.... I would take the advise of Arry over most forum folk.

The Hudson / Herbert / Mori all sound capable ... my guess is Arry has been looking for a replacement for a while if TW did not met the improvements required.

Gotta give the guy a chance if he is appointed.

Pirate Pete

I think i'm alone here who thinks Dickov will actually be pretty good. Hudson would still be a first choice and I think Mori could do well.
I think you could be mate. If The Mariners do install Dickov as coach I'll be going to the games. I have my membership already.
However I won't be standing and clapping and when he is introduced or whatever.
I'm really tempted to tweet Dickov to tell him we don't want him.

Hudson looks a good choice. I have read the thread but can't remember if it's been mentioned.
Am I correct in believing he is still the NZ coach, and I presume under contract. Surely we'll have to pay compo to get him.
Unless he has a get out clause I suppose.

localpom

I think you could be mate. If The Mariners do install Dickov as coach I'll be going to the games. I have my membership already.
However I won't be standing and clapping and when he is introduced or whatever.
I'm really tempted to tweet Dickov to tell him we don't want him.

Hudson looks a good choice. I have read the thread but can't remember if it's been mentioned.
Am I correct in believing he is still the NZ coach, and I presume under contract. Surely we'll have to pay compo to get him.
Unless he has a get out clause I suppose.
I guess I might have to eat humble pie if he is hopeless! Having said that he has coached a bit which included coaching an Oldham side to beat Liverpool in an FA cup tie 3 years ago. One thing is for sure, he will be tough and will have players battling to bring pride back to the side.
The other plus side is that he will have some good contacts through his playing days. We could do much worse.

true believer

Hudson - Yes please
Herbert - Pleasing
Mori - Interesting
Vidmar - Meh
Dickov - Worrying

Herbert track record . Knows league.
Probably can whip team into shape the quickest. The pro the club has lacked since GA.

Mori a guy that values team spirt and town spirt.
Would have the added bonus of zoran matic as a sounding board if he need a hand that hasn't got its own agenda.

Ancient Mariner

Whoever it is, I am prepared to give them a go and not draw conclusions until the end of the season at least. He (or she) has a difficult task ahead of them that will take time.

Luke

Doing my best to try and get excited for the announcement but the longer it drags on and some of the names that are being thrown around is making it tough.

For what it's worth I'm all in for Mori or Vidmar. Decent track records in what they've done so far in coaching and deserve the chance. Both former players. Despite there being plenty of change at the club since they've left they know what the culture should be like and with Hutcho still here I'd be confident that we'd get back on track.....eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred