• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Shaun,
Welcome to the forum.
I commend you on many levels.
The candid and open dialogue from yourself and Tony is a breath of fresh air.

My only question is, do the players read this forum?

P.S. Great to have Fulham and AM back on board.

midfielder

FP

Good to hear from you and as always a thoughtful post...

Shaun

Just on FB's point about the wider public being unaware of our match days and times I have to agree ... my suggestion and maybe members can help is on the Thursday before match days hand out Flyers at the Railway stations in peak times I would put up my hand for Woy Woy 3 or 4 times ...

On bended knees with tears streaming down my face and screaming to be heard ... can the ground announcer stop talking the last couple of minutes before the match starting.

Last edited:

style_cafe

FP

Good to hear from you and as always a thoughtful post...

Shaun

Just on FB's point about the wider public being unaware of our match days and times I have to agree ... my suggestion and maybe members can help is on the Thursday before match days hand out Flyers at the Railway stations in peak times I would put up my hand for Woy Woy 3 or 4 times ...

On bended knees with tears streaming down my face and screaming to be heard ... can the ground announcer stop talking the last couple of minutes before the match starting.
5 mins before KO get the ground announcer to work with the YA in Bay 16 :cheers: :shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap:

Forum Phoenix

lol, Middy I actually wrote and deleted that very point in my post. Was feeling sorry for the guy, and thought well, you do have to say something don't you... but you're right, truth is it feels cringey and then makes cheering the team (even though you want to) feel cheesy and contrived when it doesn't need to be. I think Style is right. Maybe a specific call and response to open matches could be pretty awesome?

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
How goods this, good onya Shawn, welcome to the nuthouse....shows the strength of your belief in the club by logging into the forum, ain't many CEOs of any sports org would even consider it I reckon...once again welcome

Shaun Mielekamp

Welcome to the forum Sean, (and really good to see Ancient and FFC back on the boards too!). I'm going to grab this opportunity, but I've a few questions so please just answer at your leisure over a few weeks or whatever is manageable.

We all appreciate how much work was done in the foundation years of building community engagement, but for mine the club has actually never felt more approachable or inclusive than it does right at this juncture. It was sorely needed, is beyond refreshing, and above all exciting. I'm sure you have a long and busy road ahead, but a huge well done to you and everyone else on the clear culture shift and vision. Great to finally see things like the membership recruiting incentives coming in - wish they were here over the past decade.

I would strongly second FFC's idea about a simple members email regarding getting feedback on any issues and Adz on catering. Brought a lot of people to games over the years, and the catering/food quality is a genuine detraction from game day experience and source of jokes for most. We're unbelievably spoilt for amazing food in Oz these days, I think we're second to none, but where ever I go stadium food has somehow, by and large, resisted. It is over priced, and now really only serves as a bit of culinary nostalgia to those of us (like me) raised on a steady diet of cold pies, mars bars, soggy chips and chiko roles. Times have changed to the point where even Macca's seems inclined to argue it's name is actually just an abbreviation for macrobiotic...

One bee I've had in my bonnet for a long time, is that whenever crowds have been underwhelming and the "coast don't deserve their team" drivel has been served up, everyone trash talks attendance. We debate and speculate on here, poor football, poor time slots and competing with the recreational lifestyle of the central coast being the most obvious offenders, but I have had a pretty significant amount of experience that the only people typically aware of upcoming games are usually existing members and a few of the more avid supporters.

I'm the co owner of a couple of business here on the coast, one with a large membership, and I've had a lot of interaction about upcoming games with people over the years - usually trying to drum up excitement. Some people on here have offhandedly dismissed this concern. Maybe in their circles everyone appears to know. But I don't believe so, nor that this is a case of simply they're all just not paying attention or Coasties only care about the NRL. I appreciate there would be considerable effort always going in, but for a brand as significant as the Mariners is on the coast, the cut through has always to my surprise seemed to be very low.

I've participated in the surveys before, but curious if there has ever been much market research of Central Coast constituents along the lines of how many home games do you think the Mariners play per year? How many games would you say you knew about at least one week prior? Of the 13 games, how many would you be excited about attending...what would motivate you to attend... etc

A simple thing I've always wondered is why there is no major, highly visible upcoming game day and date sign at Erina Fair? A few more signs on the main arteries stating the next game day just like the stadium one would surely be worth the spend and negotiations. Is there a road block to this that I'm not aware of?

Any possibility of:

A community club like ours of taking a leaf out of some American Football home towns, where club signage will go up in yards and even business windows when there is an upcoming home game? Something to help drive awareness and sense of event. (Like others I've hung CCM banners in my businesses before but it only reads as a show of support and is not helpful in promoting game days) I know you guys are consistently trying with print media and radio, but some more major signage and incentives to members and businesses to help build a "it's game day" event culture on the coast might be very beneficial I think.

A large, club sponsored sign for bay 16 and our active support section?

Club sponsored banner and costumes for the band.

Real game day programs... Whether it's a Socceroo's game or whatever they're always so dull and well behind social media and in my humble opinion a total waste of time. Whereas if it is as it seems and TW is willing to be candid about match intentions, likely tactics of the opposition, our squad selections, some of what the the players did in training that week and how they performed etc, stuff that actually genuinely informs and revs you up leading into the game... I know that's the kind of stuff I live for leading into games and would really enjoy reading in a program. Face to face is awesome, (this is amazing news btw) but I can't always make the Kendall before hand and this would be a terrific complement or replacement.

Convincing FOX to improve the look of their product and film from the Eastern side if it's not an afternoon game where the sun will be shining straight into their lenses?

Bringing back Marvin :thumbup:

Better costumes in team colours for the cheer leading squad if they're going to be regulars again this year:piano:

Finally, why won't FFA give us more sat night 7:30 games? Is that the prime time ratings spot for FOX so they won't give them to our smaller demographic?

Thanks greatly for your time Sean, for formally joining the boards, putting yourself forward and doing what looks to be such a fantastic job to date.

:overheadl:
Hi Forum Phoenix

Question are you a Wellington fan? Just wondered if there was a connection with the name there?

Apologies for the delayed response, had a couple things on recently.

Yes there is a barrier to answer your question about Erina fair. The major one is that partnerships are ruled out with shopping centres apart from Westfield. There are two protected categories in the A-League which is cars and shopping centres.

We are very excited about the updated match day program "the loose cannon" this will now be a 16 page A5 size with exclusive content and articles. Good chance these will go quick as they are still free to the first 3000 odd members do I encourage everyone to try and get to the prematch at the Kendall bar to avoid disappointment on missing out for this first issue.

In regards to the 7:30pm time slot this is a unique challenge but fundamentally this is the prime broadcast slot and we are not drawing enough of a TV audience to be allocated this match.

Thanks for the questions and keen to hear more if anyone has them. I will try and jump back online on match day morning and post some answers if there are any more questions.

Regards

ryan

Great work Shaun,

We all appreciate you taking the time to answer questions and air your thoughts. It is certainly a breath of fresh air compared to recent seasons and I just want to wish you best of luck with the job

Gratis

Hi Shaun,

A long shot I realise based on the stadium layout - but I have been wondering about the possibility of an unseated area for the youngin's?

For example I have a little boy who loves football and is known to yell 'Go Yellow' but doesn't have the attention span to to stay seated for a whole game. He'd be coming along to more games otherwise, as would my wife who used to attend every game too.

I realise there is little room at the water end for a grassed area but if there was a way to work it I believe there would be many who took up the option with the key fan base being such a family-based demographic.

I'm sure it's not the first time this idea has been aired but thought it was worth throwing out there just in case.

Thanks for your ear once again,
Gra

Forum Phoenix

Hi Shaun,
Hi Forum Phoenix

Question are you a Wellington fan? Just wondered if there was a connection with the name there?

Yes there is a barrier to answer your question about Erina fair. The major one is that partnerships are ruled out with shopping centres apart from Westfield. There are two protected categories in the A-League which is cars and shopping centres.

We are very excited about the updated match day program "the loose cannon" this will now be a 16 page A5 size with exclusive content and articles. Good chance these will go quick as they are still free to the first 3000 odd members do I encourage everyone to try and get to the prematch at the Kendall bar to avoid disappointment on missing out for this first issue.

In regards to the 7:30pm time slot this is a unique challenge but fundamentally this is the prime broadcast slot and we are not drawing enough of a TV audience to be allocated this match.

Thanks for the questions and keen to hear more if anyone has them. I will try and jump back online on match day morning and post some answers if there are any more questions.

Regards

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your response. No I'm not a Phoenix fan. (Attended our inaugural season, gold member with my family since V2.) I left the forum in the early years for a stint when it was doing my head in. Then the site rebooted, a lot of trolls exited, so I rejoined as Forum Phoenix - as in resurrecting myself onto the forum. I still thought of Welly as the knights way back then and didn't think how that might come to look. But yep. Stupid name in hindsight. But what you gonna do :)

Re programs, excellent news. Didn't see them around when I entered today - will definitely pick one up next game.

Re shopping centres... ah that's a blow - being it's where the masses worship. As stated, game day awareness is typically very low in my experience. Do you guys believe the opposite and that this is a non issue? Or are there any plans to try and improve in this area?

Re 7:30 slot. Ok thanks, thought that must be the case. Hard on the numbers for a coastal/lifestyle town. Not to mention the CC football groups impacted by the early kick offs. Also you'd have to think that a season of predominantly earlier games in Australian spring/summer would have it's toll on the players.

Noticed the band were all in colours today!

Thanks again for your time, though I did notice you dodged the most important question... and no I'm not talking about the catering... I wanna know what do we have to do to...

FREE MARVIN! :pirashoot: :innocent:

Last edited:

bikinigirl

Re 7:30 slot. Ok thanks, thought that must be the case. Hard on the numbers for a coastal/lifestyle town. Not to mention the CC football groups impacted by the early kick offs. Also you'd have to think that a season of predominantly earlier games in Australian spring/summer would have it's toll on the players.

. to me it is a real chicken and egg situation too. other than the hazard reduction burn smoke :rolleyes: ... the conditions were perfect yesterday - as a member of the 'sunny-side crew' i can say that rarely happens

. with our new style the heat will be very taxing
... which will effect our play
... which will effect the entertainment
... which draws crowds and builds atmosphere

. crowds, atmosphere and entertaining football will also help with tv audiences, but only if the games are shown when people want to watch

. unfortunately fox runs the hen-house (so to speak) - including advertising yesterday's game as perth vs mariners apparently :rolleyes: so i think the ffa needs to do more for the balance of the competition

bikinigirl

. oh and thanks Shaun for coming on here to not only post ... but listen ... and actively listen - as you have mentioned a couple of times. a stark contrast to your predecessor of which i can provide some specific examples of inattentive 'listening'

. we have already had a few discussions at the welcome wednesdays and the foundation members function (great initiative!) ... and we are likely to have plenty more :p

. this forum provides a very organised structure to gather thoughts and ideas (well done Adz, et al) ... preferable to the temporary and disorganised rabble people seem to enjoy in the other 'social media'. the guys and girls on here are very insightful and most posts are well considered ... they are a good read - as CEO or just a fan

. i would like to know if there has been (or will be) any efforts to bring closer links between what i see as the main supporter groups ... ie. this place, the OSC and the YA/band (but perhaps that is worthy of a post in another thread)

. as for some of you other guys ... could you please at least spell Shaun correctly ... surely he deserves that level of respect - and i expect better from (some of) you lot :yellowcard: ;) :D

MagpieMariner

Hey Shaun, please pass on our thanks to all the boys for the time they spent after the game autographing stuff and being photographed with us fans and the kids. Great stuff. Especially thank Fabio & Roy, they were the last to get round, they were obviously buggered, but they didn't miss anybody. My grandkids were thrilled to get photos with both of them, and I was pretty happy to shake their hands too. Great bonding with the fans after such an entertaining and exhausting game.

sydmariner

. to me it is a real chicken and egg situation too. other than the hazard reduction burn smoke :rolleyes: ... the conditions were perfect yesterday - as a member of the 'sunny-side crew' i can say that rarely happens

. with our new style the heat will be very taxing
... which will effect our play
... which will effect the entertainment
... which draws crowds and builds atmosphere

. crowds, atmosphere and entertaining football will also help with tv audiences, but only if the games are shown when people want to watch

. unfortunately fox runs the hen-house (so to speak) - including advertising yesterday's game as perth vs mariners apparently :rolleyes: so i think the ffa needs to do more for the balance of the competition
i wondered where that smoke was coming from

style_cafe

Hi Forum Phoenix

Regards

Hey Shaun,
The Loose Cannon was an awesome issue.
Great Idea to update it & even at a small cost it would be a great collectors item.
A big thumbs up for the backroom staff!!!

Also you may need a little more gunpowder in the cannon when we score, I couldn`t hear it over the cheering!! :overheadl::overheadl::overheadl:

MrCelery

Also you may need a little more gunpowder in the cannon when we score, I couldn`t hear it over the cheering!!

The cannon had a massive fail for the first two goals. Plenty of smoke and sparks but zero bang! Quite funny when they got it right for the third goal. Big cheer from the stands!

Happy for the cannon to be shooting blanks as long as we keep banging in the goals!

Luke

The cannon had a massive fail for the first two goals. Plenty of smoke and sparks but zero bang! Quite funny when they got it right for the third goal. Big cheer from the stands!

Happy for the cannon to be shooting blanks as long as we keep banging in the goals!

Cannon was a little off because it got wet by the sprinklers pre game.Somebody must have turned the wrong one on or nobody was there to divert the sprinkler away from the cannon.Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb