• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 11 - 2015/2016

Luca Brasi

Interesting from 442 ... maybe Phill over spent on some players
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/victory-do-double-says-walmsley

Walmsley also made the frank admission that the Mariners, despite finishing 11 points outside the playoffs, have little flexibility to strength due to their high wage bill.

"We have some challenges," he said.

"We have a lot of contracted players, very little available spots in terms of the salary cap and what we're able to spend. It's not a challenge that's insurmountable. I think there's growth in the squad that we've got. The playing style we've adopted is very embryonic, it's glitchy. There's lots room for improvement.

"We need to be astute. We've got a little bit of money to spend and we've got the Everton partnership to tap into," he added, referring to a relationship the Mariners have established the Premier League club.

"Between the two of those I think we can put together a competitive squad

Given TW's NBN comments, is this an admission we will only be half way competitive this season?
Since making this statement in April we have signed O'Donovan, Austin, Izzo, Ascroft & Heffernan (pending).

Big Al

Walmsley- from the Vid;

"There wont be anything from Everton for the start of the season"

So maybe later in the season .......... :cool:
January - hopefully

Might know by then if wants McAleny and might be watching us to see if worth using the partnership for those sort of quality players

Wombat

Great news re Heffernan.

Nabbout looked great for half a season and then faded away. He certainly looked useful as the schoolboy wonder kid early on.

shipwreck

Can't believe I actually got my hopes up, again. I should honestly know better by now.

Sigh, our biggest signing is a semi pro from Victoria

Atomic

My source connected with the team speaks of Roy very highly. In fact, he says that he brings a level of skill as a striker that we have never seen at CCM before. So it's not all doom and gloom.

He also says that Austin still needs a lot of work. Not quite the diamond in the rough that we were all hoping he'd be... but give him time and things might change. It makes me thing that Rosie is nailed on to start on the left wing with Neill at left back. Incidentally, those two lads are coming to my work tomorrow to launch their pink kit, so hopefully I may be able to grab a few thoughts from the guys themselves.

Finally, I'm being told that the new conditioner is absolutely flogging the boys in training. A level that has never been seem before at CCM. The new guy is a real hard-arse too. If anyone falls out of line, he is on their case, giving them quite the verbal tongue lashing. The plan is to have an easy 3 day camp just before Rd 1 to let the boys freshen up.

scottmac

Suspended
Walmsley- from the Vid;

"There wont be anything from Everton for the start of the season"

So maybe later in the season .......... :cool:
It won't be Conor.

He was the guy we were interested in but Walmsley said in the video he is going out on loan closer to home. Which makes sense the guy is fringe first team at everton and will easily pick up a first team spot at any number of championship sides. He would have been massive for us if he came with the right attitude.

pjennings

Tony said at the second Welcome Wednesday at Ettalong that we need score 15 more goals this season to make the 6. This looks to be our team for the start of the season.

-------------------------------Reddy/Izzo-------------
Roux/Adelson---Poscoliero/Ascroft----McGing/Bosnar----Rose/Neill
--------------------------Montgomery/Rose/Berry-------------------
------------- -------Caceres------------------Trifiro/Kalik-----
-Ferriera/Fitgerald----O'Donovan/Heffernan/Bingham-----Austin/Sim-

TBH I think we do have the attack now to score at least 40 form 27 games (up from 26). However, the other side of the coin is that we let in 50 goals in 27 games last year. Are we a better defensive unit than last year? I think we are marginally. But we need to be at least a 10 goals better defensively to have a shot at the 6 and probably 20 goals better defensively to be truly competitive. I think we are 1 quality CB away from being finals contenders.

11 of the 23 are 22 or younger so there is a lot of upside in the squad but it does really look like this is another re-building season. I can live with that - just not playing the dire stuff we played for a lot of last season.

Rowdy

I think we are 1 quality CB away from being finals contenders.

Agree. Michael Thwaite was talked about 'all but signing' with Brisbane Roar until the financial crisis/Bakries selling saga began and scuppered that idea.

Thwaity was also very vocal about McClaren's right to leave Glory when he was held back from signing with the Roar.

He & other players were given the OK to look elsewhere after the salary cup rort @ Perth Glory, plus he was stripped of the Captains armband this season.

Sneaky bid for him could fill this much needed CB role.
  • He's comortable on the ball & plays out well from the back. Good long pass
  • Also can play Defensive Midfielder
  • 1.90cm/ 6ft 3in
  • Former Capt./ Experienced/ 13 caps for the Socceroo's
  • His best attribute is his 'attitude'.
Michael Thwaite would be a good 'fit' for the Mariners.

VicMariner

Thwaite seems like an ok guy to me, always plays with a smile.

Perth thought he had enough leadership potential to make him captain. That combined with his experience might be just what we need to get our back four solid.

scottmac

Suspended
Thwaite seems like an ok guy to me, always plays with a smile.

Perth thought he had enough leadership potential to make him captain. That combined with his experience might be just what we need to get our back four solid.
He is the biggest whiner going around. Always something to say. Always complaining. No better than Bosnar IMO.

localpom

Conor is a no no according to Walmsley on NBN. Heffernan is in but still sorting paperwork. Walmsley also confirmed no Everton players this year. No more news on Nabbout.

You can watch the video here:

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/2015/09/0...king-any-everton-players-for-start-of-season/
Big shame....he would have been brilliant for us i'm sure and would have given us a chance to be really competitive. Expecting a rebuilding year (last year should have been but wasn't), with us to sneak a top 6 finish and surprise a few teams. The only positive is that it gives players like Fitzy and Kalik a lifeline as they would have struggled to get much of a go with McAleny there. The squad we have must be one of the youngest ever in the HAL. There are alot of talented kids so hopefully they get developed well in the coming season and we are in a great position next year to really challenge with a couple of quality additions.

localpom

Can't believe I actually got my hopes up, again. I should honestly know better by now.

Sigh, our biggest signing is a semi pro from Victoria
O'Donovan is a decent signing and has some pedigree. I expect him to be at least as good as Andy Keogh. Fabio is like a new signing, we only got a few games out of him half fit last year. He's quality. Overall i'm pretty happy with who we have signed but they will need to develop and we won't see the best of them this season. We are putting alot of faith in the kids but that isn't such a bad thing.

localpom

Not Thwaite.

Id like us to stick with Bosnar the young fellas and maybe rose here and there and then make a play for Wilko after his season.
Agree. The backline is young but there are some talented players. Storm, Posco and Micky Neill I'd gladly have in my back 4. Ascroft and McGing i haven't seen play but by all acounts are doing pretty well preseason. Boz adds the experience and with a decent preseason might surprise a few. I still think we are badly short a striker even if Heff signs. If Roy gets injured then who do we have apart from a newly signed State league player without a pro preseason (Heff) and young Binger? Good strikers cost so i think we will run the risk of been short in this department. Danny?

Gratis

11 of the 23 are 22 or younger so there is a lot of upside in the squad but it does really look like this is another re-building season. I can live with that - just not playing the dire stuff we played for a lot of last season.
here here

nebakke

I know it's controversial and probably a little optimistic but... I actually thought that our defensive issues last year, had MUCH more to do with a lack of cohesion, than with a lack of skill.
Whether that was down to the rumoured issues between Chesty and Bosnar, or whether it was the relationship to the coach or something completely different, I obviously don't know but... To my mind at least, we'll be MUCH improved if they can just be trusted to work for each other.

I liked Ando, but one of his core problems, was always a tendency to be frustrated that others weren't covering him or leaving it to the offside call. If this year's batch can be trusted to back each other up, not yell too much at each other when they feel that they're not where they should be, and keep working, even when trying to spring an offside trap, I think we might already be looking better in defence than a lot of the other teams.

I think this is also the reason why we saw so many games with a good start go bad. They'd be alright at first, then frustrations would build on top of each other, until they'd do angry things for the sake of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred