• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners returning to Tasmania. Maybe.

Tassiemariner

Article in the local paper today makes for interesting reading when read between the lines

A-League games may kick off in Tasmania

TASMANIA could again host A-League games for premiership points in a plan that would be a slap in the face for Football Federation Tasmania and its top-flight partner Melbourne Victory.

An unlikely source looks set to bypass FFT and state league sponsors Melbourne Victory to secure at least one game in the state next season, a move that has blindsided the sport’s governing body.

Former FFT chief executive Richard Welsh, who left his position with Tasmanian football’s governing body last May, is now the head of his own company Epic Events and Marketing and has been approached by up to three A-League clubs in the past month.

While unable to divulge the two teams likely to come down for a season fixture in 2015-16, Welsh said they would be “East Coast-based” and that a fixture would likely be confirmed in a fortnight.

Welsh said he was in talks with clubs that did not have large home crowds and were looking to play at regional centres, including Tasmania.

“We’ve had some good talks with key stakeholders to get the best economic case and we’re almost ready to put together a very good proposal to a couple of clubs and those decisions could be completed in a couple of weeks,” he said.

Welsh said he had had discussions with Launceston’s Aurora Stadium and Hobart’s Blundstone Arena and North Hobart Oval in selecting a suitable venue.

Scaffolding for cameras and better lighting would be needed to make North Hobart TV ready.

“All venues have their advantages but things we need to consider are whether the grounds are television ready,” Welsh said.

Victory, sponsors of Tasmania’s Victory League, has not played for points in Tasmania since January 2013 when it met Central Coast Mariners at Aurora Stadium – the last game for points in the state.

Victory is unlikely to be in the mix as it will play one game a season for the next three years at Geelong’s Simonds Stadium, as revealed last June.

FFT chief Mike Palmer said the organisation was unaware of the situation but would continue to work with Victory to bring games to the state.

“This hasn’t gone through the normal channels and would need sanctioning from the game’s governing bodies [FFT and FFA],” Palmer said.

Welsh said he had “the skill set required” to bring a game to the state without FFT’s help but accepted that later down the track the governing body would need to come on board.

--

East Coast team that did not have large home crowds. That does narrow the field down to us and Melbourne City. Melbourne City is a possibility as the head of media is a Tasmanian. But one can hope.

true believer

East Coast team that did not have large home crowds. That does narrow the field down to us and Melbourne City. Melbourne City is a possibility as the head of media is a Tasmanian. But one can hope.

as opposed to the scum who have no one :p

dibo

Hope that if it's us, it's for our community round (i.e. the 14th home game) and all other games are at Gosford.

VicMariner

You could probably add the Jets to the list, their crowds have been dismal lately.

If it ends up being City it could be interesting as I would think Victory might consider Tasmania their turf.

Tassiemariner

You could probably add the Jets to the list, their crowds have been dismal lately.

If it ends up being City it could be interesting as I would think Victory might consider Tasmania their turf.

Victory and in turn, FFT are most unhappy about it apparently. The trip is being organised by a former CEO of FFT who only lasted about 6 months (came from Athletics and was a little out of his depth) and has now branched out on his own. But whilst the Victory do sponsor our NPL comp, they don't have a special membership section ala Hawthorn and they signed a deal to play 1 home game in Geelong a season instead of Tasmania. So if another club decides to play here, they can't really claim it as 'their turf'.

Tassiemariner

So FFT have now come out and said that this is a publicity stunt for the new marketing company and that FFA have sanctioned 0 games in Tasmania for next season so everyone on the Coast can now relax.

@greenlig - South, a Hobartian. No particular affiliation to any of the Victory league teams although I have family associated with Devonport. My old playing side play in the southern championship (Metro) so allows me to be neutral for the top tier and just enjoy the games. What about yourself?

greenlig

So FFT have now come out and said that this is a publicity stunt for the new marketing company and that FFA have sanctioned 0 games in Tasmania for next season so everyone on the Coast can now relax.

@greenlig - South, a Hobartian. No particular affiliation to any of the Victory league teams although I have family associated with Devonport. My old playing side play in the southern championship (Metro) so allows me to be neutral for the top tier and just enjoy the games. What about yourself?

I'm from Launceston originally, played for Northern Rangers about 9 years ago. Played a few state-wide games V South Hobart back in the day. I'm a big fan of any Mariners involvement with Tassie :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred