• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The end is nigh - impending doom - Moss out etc thread

the end is nigh and Moss is to blame

• yes

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • no

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • fence

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters

Gratis

-------------Reddy--------------
Roux Posco Anderson Rose
---------Hutch/Monty--------
Fer/Fitz----Caceres----Duke
----Major------------Simon---

I think we'd be looser at the back - the AM 3 would have to be *very* disciplined at dropping into the block 4-4-2, and if they can't make it one of the front 2 has to cover. But it might free up options on the quick escape balls that we're terrible at right now, and stop teams from pressing so high because we can hit them on the counter.

Anderson has (I think) a longer future in front of him than Bosnar so I'd prioritise him. He might not be as good a striker of a ball but his decision making isn't as abominable either. Poscoliero brings some ball playing ability to the middle. I'd be *very* tempted if Neill were fit to play him at LB and move Rose to CB with Poscoliero.

Why Major? Why on earth not. Worth a shot.

I'd probably prefer Hutch for the passing game, but if we're transitioning him out then Monty may make more sense and he's going to have to be a Rostyn Griffiths style player making the area in front of the back 4 feel like a minefield for attackers.

Ferreira/Fitzy and Duke would have licence to get forward. We see what Caceres can do, with lots of bodies in motion I think Trifiro may work better there, but we'd see.
this has been my thinking for some time but I just don't believe Mossy would do it

I'd keep Duke up front and one of Simon, Duke or Major on the bench (good impact subs too) and Vernes on the wing

Bladesman

In many circumstances where the coach deserves to be punted there are one or more players who should be following them out the door.

Look at the presently unfolding debacle at the Jets, for example.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2844669/jets-players-turn-on-coach/?cs=306

Interesting situation although sounds not too dissimilar to when Ange took over Brisbane, his first moves were to clear out a number of the senior players who were causing issues. Interesting to see who gets the backing from the bloke paying (or maybe not paying) the bills.

dibo

Now, imagine that the same happened here and Mossy put a broom through the joint, backed by MC. How many on here would be screaming bloody murder because someone they've had a beer with in Terrigal from time to time gets the arse?

Capt. Awesome

Following I have from a ex player(not a starting 11 player, but in the squad for a few years) he is in contact with quite a few players.

Moss lost the dressing room. The players never have had the confidence in moss. Instead of working on the issue it's getting worse.

I can't comment on the rest, but from numerous sources it always shows moss has lost control of the team.

If this is true why are so many players signing up for renewed contracts???

Bladesman

In which case it's hard to blame Mossy if that's the standard we can afford.

Again this assumes $ automatically = better standard of player. Even if this is the case then Mossy is not the man for us as he can't compete with the standard of player we can afford where as both McKinna and Arnold could, time to find another coach that can.

VicMariner

Again this assumes $ automatically = better standard of player. Even if this is the case then Mossy is not the man for us as he can't compete with the standard of player we can afford where as both McKinna and Arnold could, time to find another coach that can.
You're assuming Moss has the same budget. Moss may have to deal with the salary floor while LM and GA might have been at the top of the cap.

dibo

In a free market, good players command more $, so more $ will attract better players. In football competitions all over the world, wage bills are an extremely good predictor of success (far better than transfer spending, past success or popular coaches).

Here the salary cap puts more emphasis on good coaching and good off-field stuff, but if you're not competing on wages you'd need to have extraordinary coaching and off-field stuff to make up the gap.

Are we going to sack Moss for not being Mourinho?

nebakke

Except the league has moved along since then... So it's a very different proposition to compete with, say, a $2mill budget today, to what it was 5 years ago.

Once that's said, I actually disagree... I don't think most of our players are that poor, individually... I think fans are frustrated and I think that players are not playing that well together... And I think that their proverbial backs are broken, mentally.

How I consolidate this with not actually being convinced that Moss has to go, I'm not sure.. Ultimately I suppose it's a gut-feeling, which is probably why it's a good thing that I'm not running the tea

I think many things though...

I think that the mainstay of our problem is in defence and I think that the people who think that we're parking the bus every game, are still watching reruns of the last couple of seasons, because we're trying to move out.
I suspect that the leaky defence has a lot to do with the issues up front and in the middle... It has to be hard to keep yourself fighting, if it feels like a goal is just equalised two seconds later because the other team got the ball again.

Controversially, I also thought that Mossy made some reasonable substitutions during the game against Sydney... Arguably because he has misread the game that Sydney would be playing though. We looked better in the middle and up front, with stronger players on the pitch. I'm not sure that that is an indictment of Triffiro and Caceres though, I think it had more to do with the type of game that was being played... Just like I was weary of the decision to play Kim in the opening match against the Jets... Some players are just better suited for some games than others.

But increasingly, the biggest thing for me is that I'd like our Defence to be stronger. I quite liked Dibo's thoughts on this actually :)

Bladesman

In a free market, good players command more $, so more $ will attract better players. In football competitions all over the world, wage bills are an extremely good predictor of success (far better than transfer spending, past success or popular coaches).

Here the salary cap puts more emphasis on good coaching and good off-field stuff, but if you're not competing on wages you'd need to have extraordinary coaching and off-field stuff to make up the gap.

Are we going to sack Moss for not being Mourinho?

No at all, I would actually quite liken Moss to Mourhino, a good coach/manager who will do well when he has close to the top resources in his league/comp. What we actually need is a Diego Simeone, Ronald Koeman, Laurie Mckinna type coach who can find a develop players with much smaller budgets and resources but put a competitive team on the park.

Given the A-League is not a free market due to the cap it the ability of a team to competitive here even with a smaller budget should be a lot better as the gulf between the top and bottom spenders is very limited. The fact that the cap also forces good players out of teams if they want more $ also mean clubs can't just hoard talent like overseas or even buy talent/potential for the bench/reserves just in case.

Big Al

To me we are talking the difference between a coach and a manager.

A coaches who ever is in front of them and makes them a team our problem is the coach is not making our players better, there is a lack of effort and desire. The sloppy defence is as much about attitude and effort as its skill.

A manager puts the talent together then makes sure they perform to there ability.

Very suttle difference

nearlyyellow

To me we are talking the difference between a coach and a manager.

A coaches who ever is in front of them and makes them a team our problem is the coach is not making our players better, there is a lack of effort and desire. The sloppy defence is as much about attitude and effort as its skill.

A manager puts the talent together then makes sure they perform to there ability.

Very suttle difference
OK research gives me: Arrhh, heaps of stuff, different titles and positions such as Head Coach, Manager, Technical Director, High Performance Manager, Operations Manager, Team Manager, Football Operations Manager, First Team Coach :confused:

Different teams have different titles, most without the actual title of Coach or Head Coach. Some of the Managers listed are actually the Coaches who stand out in front of the team. First Team Coach is self explanatory. There's no standardisation in the titles.

I agree that I think that the guy called "Coach" should devise tactics and do the on field stuff. The Team Manager/Football Operations Manager/Manager et-bloody-cetera should be the guy who organises procurement of talent and the contracts etc. imho. I think. :confused:

(I was going to post a list by teams of all the types of coaches/managers/football managers etc but it all became all too bloody complicated)

Last edited:

Big Al

No doubt they all get fancy titles to do the same thing but our team needs a coach and he is not performing that duty ATM.

soccer mad

Absolutely The teams playing like a
rudderles ship there's no direction
I'm quite patient if we were in forcing a system that need time but im not seeing
Moss is out of his depth the league is increasing momentum 'but where stepping back in time

dibo

I'd love to know what's wrong with the system and the tactics. It seems to be an unspoken truth, but I've not seen a rationale beyond Wombat's patented "two DMs bad, two strikers good" mantra.

Capt. Awesome

I'd love to know what's wrong with the system and the tactics. It seems to be an unspoken truth, but I've not seen a rationale beyond Wombat's patented "two DMs bad, two strikers good" mantra.

We haven't really been playing two DMs lately anyway have we. Even though Hutch and Monty have been playing we have been playing Hutch more as an AM - much more forward. 433 style haven't we??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred