• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

What should be our starting eleven?

pjennings

Vernes looks like a gun player to me.

Neill is too raw just now and is a bit suspect defensively....mainly in failing to pick up his man. But he will break into first grade at some stage. He actually looks like he is more of a winger than a fullback.

Mane will create handfuls of chances with his blistering pace.

I have changed my lineup after Wombats feedback about Neill. From my limited sights of him though he will be pushing Sim for the last game-day squad position. Sim probably ahead because of his versatility.

--------------Reddy
Roux-------Monty---Bosnar---Rose
-------------Hutch--------------
Vernes-------------------Fitzy
------------Caceres---------
----------Duke--------Mane

Bench Nash, Anderson, Seung-Yong, Trifiro, Sim

My main concern is to have our goal threats more central - hence the 4-4-2 diamond. I really want to see our strikers in front of goal - not trying to push in from wide.

This team to my mind strengthens our defensive line and includes 3 attacking options that did not start yesterday and moves Mane who I think just wants half an excuse to shoot in front of goal.

Last edited:

Wombat

He looked pretty fit when I saw him about a month ago. I'm not sure that he is any slower than Eddy and Chesty over 5 yards and he definitely has better anticipation.

I don't think Bosnar will play that crap again (last trial) all season but we are in trouble if he does.

style_cafe

I have changed my lineup after Wombats feedback about Neill. From my limited sights of him though he will be pushing Sim for the last game-day squad position. Sim probably ahead because of his versatility.

--------------Reddy
Roux-------Monty---Bosnar---Rose
-------------Hutch--------------
Vernes-------------------Fitzy
------------Caceres---------
----------Duke--------Mane

Bench Nash, Anderson, Seung-Yong, Trifiro, Sim

My main concern is to have our goal threats more central - hence the 4-4-2 diamond. I really want to see our strikers in front of goal - not trying to push in from wide.

This team to my mind strengthens our defensive line and includes 3 attacking options that did not start yesterday and moves Mane who I think just wants half an excuse to shoot in front of goal.

I must admit I haven`t seen as many pre-season games as I have in previous seasons so I`ll refrain from naming a line-up.
Having said that I do like the look of your starting lineup.

The movement of Monty to CB has it`s plusses & minuses.
On the plus side if the move works & becomes permanent we could squeeze an extra couple of seasons out of him, we also wouldn`t need to side an extra CB
The minus side would have to be his tackles in & around the box. We can`t afford to go a man down or to give away freekicks in this area.

I`m not the biggest Hutch fan but I`d I agree with starting him in the first game of the season.
He is an encumbent player & as such others should have to prove they are better.

Vernes & Mane are our key off season signings. If they aren`t fit by now I think they should be run until they drop then replace them.

Duke needs to return to the form that saw him picked for the Socceroos.
The key to this is the service & support he gets from the midfield.
I`m fairly confident that the side you`ve picked would give him the quality of service he needs. :goodpost:

eenfish

Monty is way too short to have as CB, we need a tall bloke like Griffo or Ando even if they aren't the complete package. As tough a nut as Monty is he is likely be out muscle by a big forward.

nebakke

Not to mention that I think Monty is increasingly taking on a bit of the role that Hatman used to have - only in a better, more productive way - that role that used to see him eventually get frustrated and just push forward on his own. Monty seems to be doing more of that these days, pushing forward when everyone else starts to drop, to remind them that the work is there to be done.
I think it'd be a mistake to pull him all the way back to CB for that reason alone - then there's the height thing and how CB is a very different role to CDM as a whole, despite the similarities.
I think Bosnar will come good, and I think it's worth remembering that Chesty was plagued by injury at the start of the last season... He may not have been brilliant this pre-season, but I still think he'll come good.
Yep - I'm an incurable optimist at this point, but I've had enough s**t over the last year or two, I don't want to "look forward" to a whole season of the boys going bad on top of it ;)

tsd

Monty at CB is fine when the defence is set in a tight low block, but would be a total waist of his talent when in transition, open play or as the opposition is trying to play out. The man needs to be free to roam the midfield and crush!

MrCelery

--------------Reddy
Roux---Anderson ---Bosnar---Rose
Monty---Vernes---Hutch---Caceres
-----------Fitzy-----Mane

Bench Nash, Seung-Yong, Trifiro, Sim, Duke

nearlyyellow

(There's a hat here)
OK, I'll have to bite. As a newbie to CCMFC please tell me why he is referred to as "Hatman". :confused:

(EDIT: After I posted this I went and looked at his product, and yes, the hats are there. But, but, was he called "hatman" during his spell with us? Or is that just a nickname being applied now?)

Last edited:

adz

Staff member
I think he started making a few hats when he was at CCM and now all sorts of crap...

About Us

Pedj Bojic is the creator of A-List Limited. Pedj and his team wanted to create a street wear label that is unique. The goal at A-List is for all customers to walk down the street in their A-List gear feeling in control, confident and looking stylish. The head turning designs stand out from the rest and make people want to be a part of A-List.

All the designs are stylish, powerful, clear, clean and distinct. They each represent a powerful statement based around the concept of striving to be the best that you can be as an individual. As a result, the brand stamps it’s authority on street wear.

A-List has gained media coverage on the T.V, radio, in newspapers, magazines and various blogs. A huge list of high profile customers are representing the label, throughout Australia and internationally, including actors, musicians, television personalities and professional athletes.

Don’t miss the chance to be a part of AUSTRALIA’S NUMBER ONE STREET WEAR LABEL –

STAND OUT FROM THE REST.

Wombat

--------------Reddy

That's a bit radical.

Two wingers as our strikers and two central mids as our wingers?

Gratis

that's about o
--------------Reddy

that's about our strongest squad i reckon, thought Trif is pushing for a starting spot.

don't see this being used in the early days, Mossy is almost certain to start with some of the new guys on the bench or take them off at 60 methinks

nebakke

OK, I'll have to bite. As a newbie to CCMFC please tell me why he is referred to as "Hatman". :confused:

(EDIT: After I posted this I went and looked at his product, and yes, the hats are there. But, but, was he called "hatman" during his spell with us? Or is that just a nickname being applied now?)

Heh... It's mostly since he sold us out and it's not that widely used either I think...
It IS because he was doing hats first and because that business was one of his justifications in leaving... Apart from that, I like your suggestion that he lurks in the dark ;-)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred