• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM vs ADU Final

Phish Phart

dibo

just did a bit of math on Ben Williams …

Mariners under Ben williams - W 28.57% D 25% L 46.43%
Mariners under other active refs - W 53.6% D 25.9 L 20.5%

whats interesting is that Williams is remarkably similar to our old arch enemy Breeze - W 26.67% D 26.67% L 46.67%
Funnily enough, I'm guessing I'm looking at the same source you did (Ultimate A-League) and Williams refereed us more around the same time Breeze did.

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/referee_detail.php?referee_id=5

So in our three most successful seasons, he refereed us a total of three times. That will skew his numbers.

What's more, he's been refereeing a long time, while many other referees have retired and the 'active' list will be skewed towards our more recent, more successful period.

Our total win percentage is 43%, with bigger numbers in more recent years.

Season CCM Win % Williams GamesExpected wins Actual wins
2005/2006 38% 7 2.7 3
2006/2007 29% 2 0.6 0
2007/2008 48% 1 0.5 0
2008/2009 33% 4 1.3 0
2009/2010 26% 4 1 2
2010/2011 53% 1 0.5 0
2011/2012 56% 1 0.6 1
2012/2013 59% 1 0.6 0
2013/2014 44% 4 1.8 0
Total 44% 25 9.5 6
% 38% 24%

Our numbers are a little off the 'expected' wins number, but if you take this year's games, we've had him against Melbourne in October when we were lucky to get a point (with 2 penalties saving the draw), against Brisbane where we were done by a late winner, against Adelaide in December when we were hosed by a team up for it when we weren't and against Victory where frankly he could've done better.

So I reckon we were worth a point in Melbourne once and lucky to get a point the other time this year - the ref ain't changing our season that much.

MagpieMariner

My old coach used to say (ad nauseum) "If you're beaten by one referring error, then you weren't bloody good enough." I maintain this to be true with two or even three. If you're good enough, you'll be in front so the errors won't matter. Generally the errors won't affect just the one side either. A simplistic comment I know, but over the 50+ years I've followed sport I've found it to be true far more often than not.

bikinigirl

. ok so it is that time of the year when i need to vent ... finals time ... which means finals ticketing hassles. i am surprised there hasn't been any whinging on here

. monday, like a good little girl ... i logged on to buy my tickets in the prescribed manner knowing i was going to be rorted by ticketek add-on costs but otherwise hoping things would go smoothly - yes, yes, i know ... more naive than dibo's view on refereeing :p

. during the process the system locked up and would not let me proceed ... of course i was unable to reload i was now locked out. only received engaged signals when trying to call - so off to ticketek it was ... with a 30+min delay going down kariong hill because of a truck breakdown. then stood in the rain to get my tickets (with others experiencing similar problems)

. but then they wouldn't issue the tickets (happily took my money though) they said they would be emailed within 48 hours ... apparently this was at the request of ffa - why i have no idea

. so three days later still no email ... so i headed back to ticketek. again there was a bunch of people there with the same issue but this time they had no problem printing the tickets for us ... and no, the apologies didn't make anybody feel better. it would be nice if they would at least refund the ~10% booking charges

. the ffa and ticketek always manage to outdo themselves in trying to piss me off each time :fireup::fireup::fireup:

sydmariner

. ok so it is that time of the year when i need to vent ... finals time ... which means finals ticketing hassles. i am surprised there hasn't been any whinging on here

. monday, like a good little girl ... i logged on to buy my tickets in the prescribed manner knowing i was going to be rorted by ticketek add-on costs but otherwise hoping things would go smoothly - yes, yes, i know ... more naive than dibo's view on refereeing :p

. during the process the system locked up and would not let me proceed ... of course i was unable to reload i was now locked out. only received engaged signals when trying to call - so off to ticketek it was ... with a 30+min delay going down kariong hill because of a truck breakdown. then stood in the rain to get my tickets (with others experiencing similar problems)

. but then they wouldn't issue the tickets (happily took my money though) they said they would be emailed within 48 hours ... apparently this was at the request of ffa - why i have no idea

. so three days later still no email ... so i headed back to ticketek. again there was a bunch of people there with the same issue but this time they had no problem printing the tickets for us ... and no, the apologies didn't make anybody feel better. it would be nice if they would at least refund the ~10% booking charges

. the ffa and ticketek always manage to outdo themselves in trying to piss me off each time :fireup::fireup::fireup:
i had a similar problem for socceroos vs s africa where i didnt get my ffa mfn number so had to wait a week & couldn't change my method of delivery:naughty::naughty::naughty::mad::mad:

Wombat

My old coach used to say (ad nauseum) "If you're beaten by one referring error, then you weren't bloody good enough." I maintain this to be true with two or even three. If you're good enough, you'll be in front so the errors won't matter. Generally the errors won't affect just the one side either. A simplistic comment I know, but over the 50+ years I've followed sport I've found it to be true far more often than not.

Hmmmm...Perth v Brisbane GF proves your theory to be incorrect.

Also Football is not like AFL or basketball where you score almost every time you have possession.

You may only get 2 chances ( or in our case 1 as we are not very attack minded) in the whole 90 minutes.....if the ref is against you it's very easy for them to change a result.

Look at the penalties against Rosey and Hutcho in recent weeks for an example.

yellowcake

Sorry to hear that.
Seamless to get our 3 on Monday about lunchtime and 3 more Football Family on Tues.

Got a good feeling about tomorrow. Also want to see us beat the 10,013 NRL crowd tonight.

rbakersmith

Overnight, West Ham United FC announced the sad news that talented Australian footballer Dylan Tombides, 20, had lost his long battle with cancer. As a mark of respect, both Central Coast Mariners and Adelaide United FC will wear black arm bands during today’s Hyundai A-League #ALeagueFinals match at Central Coast Stadium, while a minutes silence will be held prior to kick-off.

Dylan’s squad number at West Ham United was 38. Throughout the 38th minute of today’s match, supporters are also encouraged to ‘Clap for Dylan’.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0684981205.216600.206561121205&type=1&theater

MrCelery

Also Football is not like AFL or basketball where you score almost every time you have possession.

You may only get 2 chances ( or in our case 1 as we are not very attack minded) in the whole 90 minutes.....if the ref is against you it's very easy for them to change a result.

Look at the penalties against Rosey and Hutcho in recent weeks for an example.

Exactly.

And what about the 2008 Grand Final between our Champions and the Scum? You can't tell me that the officials didn't have a major part to play in the result. You could even add our GF against the Pussies in Brisbane. A blatant push on Pedj in the dying stages went unpunished.

It does cut both ways admittedly, with Pedj also getting away with a handball against the Drive Bys in the GF last year.

nebakke

Much as I hate to admit it, Brisbane would have likely won that GF even if that penalty hadn't been called and it would have been deserved. Perth were never really in the game, I think.
Anyway, the sort of generalisation surrounding the referees is a gross oversimplification - as with most generalisations ;) - there are so many factors involved and technically the ref could be hugely incompetent and cost you the game by blowing the whistle whenever you get the ball ;)

Look at the first match against the Jest, last season, Rosey getting an offside call, in our own half, for example... Or in that same game, Zadkovitch literally almost ripping Rosey's shirt off, without it even being noticed etc. etc... Sometimes there's little or nothing that you can do, as a team.
Once that is said though, the refs can be bad, but I don't think that there's much value to be found in seriously accusing them of being cheats, the lot of them... Inept perhaps, but not outright cheats.

I dislike Gillett and have to admit that I thought that it was remarkable how much "luck" Brisbane had with his calls, in that finals series as a whole. But, outside of his ineptitude, my issue with him being the ref in the GF has more to do with his connections to the club opening him up for attack, than it has with me actually thinking that he was indeed a cheat.

Anyway, I'm overseas and will be scrambling to find a livestream somewhere as the foxtel over VPN thing doesn't seem to be great, but COYY! Time to remind Adelaide that they may have smashed us down there, but they lose when they travel to BT!

LFCMariners

Watched this on the Fox sports update here in London. Great result! No surprise to see the usual comments about CCM "boring" football and active support apparently committing the cardinal sing of having a brass band and singing "Who do we sing for?" (because the RBB invented that, as well as giving the great game of football to Australia, for which we will forever be thankful). Forgive us, god of football (or "Football" as Mark Bosnich would say, while tilting his head back with that arrogant leer on his face) for we have sinned. We don't play like Barca at their finest nor pack our stadium 20,000 full for season matches against the Nix. Penance in the form of Grand Final losses and apologies for supporting CCM and all that….

morrijo

Where has the band been last two matches?

Good win

Simons does some foolish things when trying to run the clock and made a mistake that could have been costly
He has not been the same since he has been back

bikinigirl

Where has the band been last two matches?

Good win

Simons does some foolish things when trying to run the clock and made a mistake that could have been costly
He has not been the same since he has been back

. agree that simon didn't do us any favours when 'trying' to run down the clock ... but what the f**k was reddy trying to do? lose us the game?

. huge result tonight ... thoroughly enjoyed myself. when the whole crowd took up the 'we are champions chant' ... wow, that was epic!

. but missed the band big-time, what's going on there?

MrCelery

Bernie my Man of the Match in a team of many heroes. Not just for the goal, but also for some really sharp play. He was everywhere and even had some new tricks. His sudden switches in direction had Adelaide flummoxed. Great to see him put in for the full 90 ...er 97... minutes too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred