• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners axe CEO

pjennings

Mariners axe CEO as club plans new direction
Date
April 25, 2013 - 4:16PM

Sebastian Hassett
Football reporter
The Central Coast Mariners might be celebrating the greatest on-field week in the club's history. Off it, however, is a different story, with chief executive John McKay having been formally ousted this week.

Apart from a brief spell in late 2011, McKay has been the club's only chief executive since they were formed in 2004, making him one of the longest-serving staff members at any A-League club.

McKay has been relieved of his duties by new Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth, who is seeking to give the club fresh impetus and direction as they attempt to capitalise on the club's maiden championship.

Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull confirmed to Fairfax Media on Thursday that McKay would not continue after eight years in charge.

Advertisement
"Under the new ownership arrangement, Mike and I have decided to review every department of the football club, from the football department to the commercial department to the operations department. The whole lot," Turnbull said. "As part of that, I'm overseeing a major review to re-focus the organisation."

Despite achieving outstanding results in the past three seasons – they finished in the top two each year under coach Graham Arnold – the club hasn't been able to grow its crowds or revenue as hoped, leaving the new administration to look at ways they can reconnect.

"We're going to be undertaking a range of community forums, examining a whole range of issues, such as how the Mariners can become more involved in the community, and look at what we're doing well and what we're doing poorly," he said. "Basically, we need to figure out what we can do to make things better."

Turnbull believes winning the championship at their fourth grand final attempt provides the ideal footing for the club to expand its following.

"I've been speaking with Arnie [Graham Arnold] about his plans for next season and the team we're going to be putting on the park next season will be a very, very good team," he said. "We're the only team to finish in the top two three years in a row but it would be good to make it four years in a row and make it an achievement even more difficult for others to follow."

However, speculation is mounting the Mariners will lose several key players, especially their talented young trio Mat Ryan, Bernie Ibini and Trent Sainsbury. It is Sainsbury who has come under particular focus this week, with Bolton Wanderers tabling a deal worth around $560,000 for his services.

"We've had a couple of enquiries about Trent, but I think everyone needs to remember that Marco Rojas, the player of the year, has left Melbourne Victory, and Terry Antonis has left Sydney FC," Turnbull said. "Trent is under contract for next season but there's been some solid expressions of interest from overseas clubs.'

"It's just a fact of life, and given we're the club who produce the most young players, we're the ones who get most of the enquiries."

While Ryan is a free agent and has already expressed his desire to seek a move abroad, Ibini still has another year to run, meaning a foreign club will have to pay a sizeable fee – comparable to the offer for Sainsbury – for his services.

"We've had some more expressions of interest for Bernie," Turnbull said. "But, depending on Tuesday night [against Kashiwa Reysol], when the Champions League duties have concluded, they may have a holiday somewhere in Europe."

Arnold himself has been linked with a move away from the club but the Mariners are confident he'll stay on.

"With another year on his contract, we're certainly expecting him to stay," Turnbull said. "If he was going to be offered a ridiculous salary in the UK, he can come and talk to us about it. Until then, we're working with him to plan for next season."

The Mariners' maiden championship will be commemorated at a street parade in Gosford on Friday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/mariners-axe-ceo-as-club-plans-new-direction-20130425-2igzu.html#ixzz2RSVxLcEL

adz

Staff member
Haven't really heard a lot about him, even though he was CEO for 8 years.
Will be interesting to see what happens from here.

MrCelery

Have to say that that I knew next to nothing about the chap, but I feel for him. To get booted immediately after our glorious Grand Final and AFC win is tough.

I hope the replacement is as good as, if not better, than the one outgoing.

The words around Arnie sound promising though. I desperately hope he stays.

scottmac

Suspended
Haven't really heard a lot about him, even though he was CEO for 8 years.
Will be interesting to see what happens from here.
Change for an organisation can be a very good thing if approached in the right manner. Restructure can make great people better, more enthusiatic people. It can also move people on.
I'm sure there will be people that can only see doom & gloom from this type of move.
I'm also sure there will be just as many that see a bright positive future on the coast coming from this.

Atomic

I met John on a couple of occasions. Very nice man who seemed to be on top of things. However, there's more to a CEOs job than winning a Championship so it seems. The article is right in pointing out that crowds have been poor. I'm sure there are more financial aspects which go towards making up a CEO's KPIs. To be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised that this a rational and sensible business decision.

MrCelery

Takes the office staff down to 7.......

Sheer luxury.

The Newcastle Breakers FC ran on a Secretary Manager and one office assistant, with the Directors helping out as required. And that included running the football operations, marketing (website, match program), AND managing the licenced club and stadium. Occasionally we had a work experience kid, but they were often more a hindrance than a help. We had one paid greenkeeper part-time, and volunteers helping the coach\manager with the team, eg. gear steward.

starfish

Nice bloke John - we wish him and his family all the best. I hope this is genuinely a restructure and not just a move to get MC's preferred people in. At least one more office job and one more football job should go.

Reactions: adz

pjennings

I'm not going to comment on John - I don't know him. I just find it very sad that a bloke who apparently has been through the ups and downs of the club since the beginning can't at least enjoy the GF win with the players and fans before being shown the door. The decision might be putting the club on a more business-like setting - but it lacks a lot of simple human compassion.

bikinigirl

. tend to agree ... i had only met him once (i think) when he was the only one in the office when i dropped in one christmas eve

. so seemed like a nice bloke and hard-working ... but that doesn't necessarily make you a good ceo - or perhpas he was seen as a piece of gorman baggage?

. regardless, the timing was shithouse (perhaps he had a contracted date?)

scottmac

Suspended
. tend to agree ... i had only met him once (i think) when he was the only one in the office when i dropped in one christmas eve

. so seemed like a nice bloke and hard-working ... but that doesn't necessarily make you a good ceo - or perhpas he was seen as a piece of gorman baggage?

. regardless, the timing was shithouse (perhaps he had a contracted date?)

I'd say it was known well before last weekend that it was going to occur. Going out on a high may not be seen by all a shithouse timing.

Reactions: adz

bikinigirl

I'd say it was known well before last weekend that it was going to occur. Going out on a high may not be seen by all a shithouse timing.

. i know ... i may have fallen for the media sensationalism. the headline makes it seem somewhat less than compassionate

midfielder

Interesting Fairfax say that letting go of CEO was to start a new direction… given crowds and sponsorships… I can see why… News reported the story in a similar way…

The Mariners great friends SBS… reported we could not afford to pay a CEO… this follows on from our move to play at South Melbourne home ground…other articles from Frozzie where he says some clubs will need to be relocated and hinted the CC has failed…

I am going sick and tired of farking years now of SBS snipping at our club… it started when Les Murry wrote two maybe three letters to Frank Lowy asking that JON review our entry into the A-League…

Most folk rank Lyle Gorman as close to the best club CEO in Australia … in his time at the Mariners he was often attacked by SBS… our first coach was hounded because he was Scottish … we all knew his time had come but not because he was Scottish ….

Common sense … we are loosing 1 million per year … the new media deal gives us an additional 1.4 million per year… plus we have it would appear offers in for two players …

Come on Fossie go up and have a look at the CEO and for once say …. this club has a future…

UP yours SBS …. no right up your farking arse with a telegraph pole spiked with nails...

neverwozza

The difficult thing for me is that we have been such a stable club in the past I would hate to see too many changes too quickly. Charlesworth is obviously a very successful businessman but normal business prinicpals don't apply when running a sporting organisation and I hope he gets that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred